Westland Wessex Helicopter

I Have been putting this helo on the back burner for far too long, I would love to do a H. 34  version but no nose conversion on the market  available yet.  Could it be time to create  the nose in CAD?. I have been reading on this this build  and it appears that it is a challenging build in several areas. Would be kind a cool next to a Lynx. I just washed all the parts in dishwashing liquid this morning since releasing agents was rather slick.

Fly+Wessex.jpg

Edited by Rotorman

To construct the bow section of the S-58 / H-34 quickly leads to a crisis with such round sections. Find someone who can scan the nose section from a good kit in 1:48 and make a construction from it. This can then be printed in 1:32 scale as a shell and further processed.
I am also very interested in this bow part, because I have the model 1:32 in 2020 on the plan as a flying model.

4 hours ago, Lupusprimus said:

To construct the bow section of the S-58 / H-34 quickly leads to a crisis with such round sections. Find someone who can scan the nose section from a good kit in 1:48 and make a construction from it. This can then be printed in 1:32 scale as a shell and further processed.
I am also very interested in this bow part, because I have the model 1:32 in 2020 on the plan as a flying model.

If i can do the h34 nose it will be a vietnam version and if i cant id love to do two tone artic version.

I think I am going to do the Sub hunting version with Arctic Camo....probably not accurate but i want to detail the cabin other than with the blue seats. Debating on detaling both Gazelle Napier engines as of now. Will open panels behind transmission tower and oil cooler. I will not fold blades or tail. May do a winter scene...and then again things may change along the build.

Edited by Rotorman

Oliver
I imagine rubbing his hands, devising, enjoying his new plan, making his H-34 a reality, yes I remember correctly, Fly announced, do not take out conversion of his magnificent wessex soon, so, go ahead, you have demonstrated the power

:thumbsup:

I would be interested in a 3-D printed or resin cast nose to convert the Fly Models Wessex into a US UH-34D.  I hope you (or some AM helo company) offer it up for sale if you are able to reproduce it.  

If you could make a new nose section from where the kit forward nose attaches, that would be perfect.  The line forward of the door where the grey filler is present below.  Everything forward of this line needs to be redone to backdated it to an H-34.  I don't know why Fly Models hasn't continued the series w/an H-34?  The kit is laid out to be able to swap out the nose section.  A new nose and a few other pieces on another sprue and they would be set.

Wessex+Part+3+Pic+2.jpg?format=2500w

Edited by HeavyArty
13 hours ago, norbert said:

Hi Gino

The issue is that Fly models said he would do the H-34, so I guess aftermarket guys are reluctant to work on a conversion set.

That said, it was years ago...

Still waiting for the Wessex 3 to appear.

Oliver, I don’t wish to tell anyone how to build their models, you build what you want my friend.

I will say though, the sonar set your elegantly building was installed to the Royal Navy Wessex Mk3. The Green Wessex picture with the engines and electrical bay open is a Wessex Mk5 of the Royal Navy, used for troop transport and not with a sonar installed (it’s also missing an engine starter shroud on the nearest engine, just sayin as an ex Navy Wessex Engineer) The last photo you’ve posted is of a Royal Air Force Wessex Mk2 of 72 Squadron, again it never had the sonar installed.

Hi Wafu

Thanks for the info.  What MK is the camo wessex on the photo?

I am planning to add the gazelle engines and open panels on main rotor mast/oil cooler area as of now. 

I guess the kit is an Mk 5???.

Is you have any engine  photos on both sides u are allowed to share,  please post.

So little seen of interior subhunting gear.

20200217_160638_zpstlvq1tph.jpg

Edited by Rotorman

The Camo one is a Mk2, a troop carrier for the RAF.

The sonar fitted Wessex looked like this. https://nelsam.org.uk/Exhibits/Search/?search=XM833

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Westland Wessex HAS3

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953439-westland-wessex-has3-xm328/

Edited by Wafu
1 hour ago, Wafu said:

Thats some amazing photos. Thanks so much.