confusing instruction "cut closed"

Haven't build a model since I was very young and just getting into again. I'm building a Trumpeter Mig 15. The instructions for the aileron assembly says "cut closed". I have no idea what they mean by that. Can someone enlighten me?

First off, welcome aboard! :wave:

I'm going to guess that you mean their 1/48 MiG 15 bis Fagot B, because, well, you didn't say and those are the instructions I found:coolio:

Is this what you mean?

Tr-MiG-15-instructions.png.fbc7ab8af5c8914ac7a97fea2ec1c43e.png

If so, then it's telling you to cut off those 3 (?) tabs if you want the flap to be closed. I presume the tabs allow you to pose the flap open. This is not an uncommon technique to allow parts to be in multiple positions. I know nothing about this kit, but do make sure you test fit the part in the closed position if that's what you want. I've had a number of models where the "designed to be opened" parts weren't a good fit when in the "can be optionally closed" position.

Also note the "Make hole" notation. You should look ahead to see what might need those holes. In this case, it's most likely to allow you to hang something from the wing. If you do indeed want to use those parts, don't forget to drill the holes. As they didn't indicate the drill size, measure the other part. This is also a common technique enabling optional parts to be installed without forcing you to fill holes you don't need. Make sure you find the indentations showing where the holes are to be located. As 4 locations are shown, you should look if you want 1, 2, 3, or all 4 holes drilled. Again, this will be based on what could be mounted there. Another common location for such "drill here" notions is the upper part of the fuselage for optional antennas.

Good luck!!

HTH

-- 

dnl

dnl42, Thank you for the welcome and speedy response. You are spot on. That is the kit I am trying to put together. The tabs are quite flimsy and not all rigid. I doubt they could hold in any position. I drilled the holes without looking ahead to see why they are required. I think they may be for the fuel tanks. This is my first model in a long time and don't have high expectations that it will be even close to perfect but it is a nice way to spend a cold wintry day. Thanks again. Tom

4 minutes ago, Thos said:

The tabs are quite flimsy and not all rigid. I doubt they could hold in any position.

The tabs are likely sufficient to hold the weight of the flaps. They may well not be strong enough to be jostled during construction. If you're going to leave the flaps open, put them on last, after all the decals have been applied, but before the flat coat if you're going to do that.

I do recommend a clear coat atop the decals to protect them and to even out the finish. Speaking, well, writing, of decals, do make sure the paint surface is very smooth before applying decals to avoid "silvering"--tiny air bubbles captured under the decal.

Enjoy!