New Airbrushes on the way!

Hey all, 

Nobody will probably care, but I decided to divest myself of the 2 Badger SOTAR airbrushes that I unfortunately purchased, and have complained about in other threads here in this forum.  I also decided to splurge with a few other airbrushes, a Mr. Hobby CREOS PS-289 and a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity 2 in 1 Version 2.0.  I don’t think I’ll be seeing any of the issues I had with the SOTARs with either of these 2 machines... at least I hope not 😊. I’m really looking forward to getting these 2 new toys!

I really like my H&S Infinity. I’ve had it at least 10 years, and an Evolution for at least 15 years. Great brushes IMO, and very much easier to clean the the 1999 vintage Iwata HP-C they replaced. My one suggestion, and it is not airbrush brand specific, would be to invest in some Tamiya Air Brush cleaner (very effective dissolves most any paint I have tried) and spray 6-10 drops before you load your brush with paint just to ensure the brush is working properly and also do it as a final step after your normal cleaning process is complete. This way you know both before you start and after you are done, the brush is working correctly. I don’t use the stuff for routine cleaning, generic lacquer thinner works fine for that, but it does make sure all is ready as well as flushing out any bits the cleaning might have missed.

6 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

I really like my H&S Infinity. I’ve had it at least 10 years, and an Evolution for at least 15 years. Great brushes IMO, and very much easier to clean the the 1999 vintage Iwata HP-C they replaced. My one suggestion, and it is not airbrush brand specific, would be to invest in some Tamiya Air Brush cleaner (very effective dissolves most any paint I have tried) and spray 6-10 drops before you load your brush with paint just to ensure the brush is working properly and also do it as a final step after your normal cleaning process is complete. This way you know both before you start and after you are done, the brush is working correctly. I don’t use the stuff for routine cleaning, generic lacquer thinner works fine for that, but it does make sure all is ready as well as flushing out any bits the cleaning might have missed.

Good tip. I didn't know that about Tamiya Air Brush cleaner. I kinda assumed it was like most of the other acrylic paint cleaners. Will check this one out. Thanks!

On 2/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, Mstor said:

Good tip. I didn't know that about Tamiya Air Brush cleaner. I kinda assumed it was like most of the other acrylic paint cleaners. Will check this one out. Thanks!

Agreed, thanks for the suggestion.

And I did get my PS-289 and H&S Infinity airbrushes, and have sent my SOTARs back as trade-ins.  And I have to believe that the airbrush gods are simply against me....  as I was looking at the brand new Infinity, of course with all the protective caps, etc. off the airbrush, I promptly dropped the airbrush from about 4 feet onto tile floor, straight into the nose (the needle, air cap, etc.).  So, my brand new $300+ airbrush turned into trash before having even passed a single molecule of paint or air through it.  I think maybe I ought to just give up this hobby, as clearly, I’m not cut out for this...

9 hours ago, Curt B said:

Agreed, thanks for the suggestion.

And I did get my PS-289 and H&S Infinity airbrushes, and have sent my SOTARs back as trade-ins.  And I have to believe that the airbrush gods are simply against me....  as I was looking at the brand new Infinity, of course with all the protective caps, etc. off the airbrush, I promptly dropped the airbrush from about 4 feet onto tile floor, straight into the nose (the needle, air cap, etc.).  So, my brand new $300+ airbrush turned into trash before having even passed a single molecule of paint or air through it.  I think maybe I ought to just give up this hobby, as clearly, I’m not cut out for this...

Bummer man. You sure it's toast? Is the body still intact, and the parts inside the body? New needle and parts for the front end, while not cheap, would certainly be less than a new airbrush.

So, don't give up. Just... hate to say it... be careful :doh:

On 2/18/2020 at 3:00 PM, Mstor said:

New needle and parts for the front end, while not cheap, would certainly be less than a new airbrush.

True... but I’m just going to set it aside for now and maybe, after my frustration with myself does down, I’ll try to evaluate, calmly, how to try to salvage the H&S Infinity. 

In in the meantime, I got another new brush, a Mr. Hobby PS-270, the 0.2mm version of the 0.3mm 289.  I still haven’t had a chance to use either the 289 or 270, but maybe the next upcoming weekend, I’ll have a chance to try one or the other or both.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, Chuck1945 said:

My one suggestion, and it is not airbrush brand specific, would be to invest in some Tamiya Air Brush cleaner (very effective dissolves most any paint I have tried) and spray 6-10 drops before you load your brush with paint just to ensure the brush is working properly and also do it as a final step after your normal cleaning process is complete. This way you know both before you start and after you are done, the brush is working correctly. I don’t use the stuff for routine cleaning, generic lacquer thinner works fine for that, but it does make sure all is ready as well as flushing out any bits the cleaning might have missed.

Chuck,

Thanks for the reminder, I knew there were good reasons in keeping the airbrush cleaned

properly. Its going to work much better for the user, and isn't that what we all strive for in

building models and working on projects? This type of preventive maintenance - not only

works well for airbrushes, but just about everything in life! "If you take care of your stuff,

your stuff will take care of you."

The H&S Infinity is my dream airbrush and I've been trying to save up for one for a long time so I was shocked to read about your dropping it.  I can relate to it, though.  I snagged the hose with my foot and dropped my brand new Mr. Hobby PS-270 onto the cement floor, tip first.   Luckily the crown protected the needle but a couple leaves were bent from the impact.  Tried to straighten them up with the long-nose pliers and one broke off.    It still worked ok -- but for it to get battle scars on the first day just made me wanna cry.   One thing I notice is when I'm too careful about handling new stuff they tend to slip out of my hands.   I do find the PS-270 really easy to use and clean and the trigger stop knob is very useful. 

Thanks for your thoughts.  I’ve been working on other things of late, a tank, which hasn’t required any painting.  So, I’ve still not used any of my new airbrushes, nor have I given any further thought to my destroyed H&S Infinity. I’m hopeful that the cheaper airbrushes will suit me well enough that I wont feel the need to  try to salvage the Infinity, though it still makes me want to cry to think of a $300+ piece of hardware sitting in a box, never to be touched or looked at again.  Thank goodness that I have been fortunate enough that that airbrush wasn’t the last thing I could afford.  We’ll just have to see how these other brushes work out, once I start painting again.