F-14D Tomcat external fuel tanks question...

I need to know how many filler caps are on each of the Tomcats external tanks. Is it one or two per tank? I assume the tanks are interchangeable between left/right intakes(?)

Are there any pics showing the location of ALL the filler caps locations on the tanks?

Also, there is a short red "strip" on the side of the tanks pylon (MXU-776/A, MXU-777/A). What is this short, red "line"? (Any close-up pics of the pylon would be helpful please)

Thanks.
Scott
CNJC-IPMS

Hi Scott,

Yes, two filler ports per tank and they are fully interchangeable. Lots of pics on Prime Portal to sift through.  Prime Portal

The red stripe is the Ground Safety Handle. It is used while on the ground to prevent accidental jettison of the external tanks. The following is a link to a page showing the MXU-611/A but from what I can see the external features are essentially the same as the 776/777.

F-14 Pylon

Cheers,

John

The safety handle on the MXU is popped open when the jet is on deck, and the handles are only latched closed during the prelaunch checkout. They are hinged on the forward end and the aft end stuck out a couple inches when open. This is an often missed detail on most Tomcat builds... I'm on travel for work right now, but once I'm back I can take a pic of how I did them on a Hasegawa Tomcat I built a few years ago.

Edited by Neeko

The only external differences between the MXU-611 and MXU-776/777 is the that the MXU-776/777 has a store sensing switch on the bottom of the pylon. With a drop tank loaded, you can not tell the difference between the them unless you look at the serial number plate.

The ground safety handle sticks out about 4 inches when extended.

For pics of the drop tank Google "F-14 Drop Tank", and there are several pics of the drop tank in the DACO F-14 book.