MiG-21PF and other Fishbed versions in 72nd scale from Eduard

OK, so what is waiting for us in the new Eduard box with this next Fishbed in line in 72nd scale.

After the two version of MiG-21 MF and the just released PFM version it was obvious that the next will be the PF version. On common sprue H there were already some parts like the ejection seat and cockpit panels along with small bits and pieces. The transparent sprue also had other parts together for PFM and PF.

The only brand new sprue is G which has the new fuselage, early wings with all associated parts.

So let’s have a look at the parts.

zf97hUV.jpg

8nPAoYB.jpg

5jxXxqC.jpg

The distinc short fin of the early Fishbed versions is making a debut in this kit.

nxjc38W.jpg

Just as the new wing with the Fowler type flaps, not seen till now on other previous 72nd scale kit from Eduard

wQWtx5b.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Some more images of the brand new MiG-21PF from Eduard in 72 nd scale kit. Additional views of Sprue G which differentiates the PF kit from the earlier Fishbeds. These are test sprues so there could be some changes for the final production version.

kWbJ6KB.jpg

g3XR7hL.jpg

6P4ncDj.jpg

FBQP0Vr.jpg 

But not only naked sprues but also the built kit. Once again it is PP version in my terminology, it is a Pure Plastic with nothing added, no extra detailing made, no corrections of any sort. Just plastic as it is on the sprues.

P1ZTaNv.jpg

mkDhMjU.jpg

Best regards

Gabor  

Thanks Gabor,

I'm very grateful for your update on this new version of Eduard's MiG-21, with your insights, excellent photographs and now the bonus of the Pure Plastic build. Please keep it up!

Andrew.

Hi Andrew and Robert,

Thanks for dropping in and commenting!

Yes, I made photos of extended flaps, since the maker included some nice details inside I think it would have been a waste not to show it. This of course goes against what a real aircraft is like. Under normal conditions on a parked / static MiG-21F-13 or PF version the Fowler type flaps would not be extended (unfortunately). Sad but that is the real life part of it. Still I think it looks nice and I imagine there was a reason in the mind of the Edu CAD designer to include these details, so not only I like these fine things. : )    : )

Flap bay detail goes of course with the fine details that Eduard included in the cockpit.

I have no idea what the final production kit would look like and what will included in it. In principle the flap would need to have a push road in the middle which is not included in plastic parts so I guess it could be on a photoetch set to go with the kit.

There are three small round service panels illustrated on the plastic kit flap on top. On the real aircraft I have examinned there were no such panels but this would be really nitpicking and extreme rivet counting on my part. : )   : )

Best regads

Gabor

Sorry for delay but life is not easy around here. But here are views of the Fowler type flaps and some comparison between PF and PFM.

5ZBCxHr.jpg

0rjfjvr.jpg

The main difference is of course the new narrow fin of the PF next to the wider PFM 

8LZyehP.jpg

And the old onepiece forward oppening canopy here next to the later side opening version.

YRYdKhw.jpg

BMBLTul.jpg

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards

Gabor

Here are few more views of the Fowler type flaps on this brand new 72nd scale  Eduard MiG-21PF kit from my Pure Plastic build. Please note again that this kit was built from a test sprue so some details could be changed on the final production kit.

The bay as it is during my PP build.

f2LYPhd.jpg

The 3 round service panels are simply not there on Hungarian PF’s. I have seen it on those fantastic Zlinek scale drawings from 1992. But not on others.

fVeI3o3.jpg

View from the underside of the flap installed in extended position on the finished PP kit. As noted before the actuator is missing but a small piece of stretched sprue would do it with a 2 minute work. it goes in the middle.

R2JOY5M.jpg

This is the way it looks like from above.

nfr3IQn.jpg

Best regards

Gabor  

Hi Robert,

Thanks for dropping in. Glad you like what you see of this kit.

The thing is it would be shame to show the flaps in closed position. I think it adds a lot to the kit. Now the only question why wasn’t this made for the 48th scale kit. Actually I had these details added to the 48th from a nicely made Ciro etched brass parts. Very simple, small but adds a lot to the overall kit.

Have a nice weekend even if I heard that a big storm is on the way to UK with lots of rain. : (  : (

Best regards

Gabor

More views of the new kit. The early version of brake parachute housing under the tail section is nicely shown in the kit. Of course all associated changes have been incorporated into the kit:

-  new ventral strake with a “channel” for the line of the brake chute,

-  new tail section with appropriate details

-  and of course the new fin

Please also note that Eduard has returned to the early version (I think it was in the Library edition) of giving the rudder separately. It is a welcome addition since on a static aircraft in most cases only the rudder can be moved at will.

VCpNgfl.jpg

J6rIiPV.jpg

TbFalkk.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Here are the planned paint schemes / decal options for the April release MiG-21PF kit in 72nd scale. I dont think these are the final illustrations since the red stripes are not a standard MiG scheme applied to hundreds of aircraft. I think it is only applicable for the Czech version and it was simply copied for the other versions without taking the stripes off.

Well anyway the Hungarian version looks right, well it should since I did the research for it.  : )   : )    : )   Hope modeller will like it.

ZYaiQdn.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Robert,

Now this is a million dollar question. Have no idea. I have just finished the correction for the Hungarian scheme but all the other ones were done by Eduard.

As far as I can see from the art-work at least the Russian example is a real natural metal a/c with different shades of metal. (They did look stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  has anyone seen those photos of Soviet MiG-21SM during a 1970's visit in France, I think at Reims, WOW they did look fantastic and immaculate)

The Russian one is of course with the double red stripes of the Czech invasion in 1968. So we know the exact moment in time, but I have no idea how much those aircraft have served up to that point. There is a chance that if they passed first overhaul then already a silver dope paint was sprayed on resulting in a very dull and very uniform aluminium finish. Not really nice. : (  : (

The same goes for the Czech and the Vietnamese but of course most probably the less information and photos are available for later one.

Actually just had a look in the Squadron Signal book and there is a VPAF Museum photo of this actual 4326 and it appears that it is also real natural metal, just as 4128.

Hope weather, that Dennis is not causing too much havoc where you are. 

Best regards

Gabor

• 1 month later...

Coming back to the story of the new 72nd scale MiG-21PF version from Eduard. The one with the narrow fin, parachute pack at the bottom, forward opening canopy and the early sliding flaps.

Now that the kit is out here are few views of the box and what is inside. I have shown months ago the sprues, here are the decals and the photoetch provided with the kit. Also there is a paint mask but there isn’t much to see on it apart from a rectangular yellow piece.

MAh8CDY.jpg

4ualh53.jpg

GfOnGF3.jpg

A separate decal is included for the stencils and all the smaller markings. A new addition is a decal version of the canopy sealing that runs all around the forward opening piece. Some of the aircraft had a black coloured rubber around the plexiglas, while others had the more tradition Germetic material which at the time was more brown in colour than the now more familiar pink. Both versions are provided. Actually it all depends on how you mix the components of Germetic. In principle there is a factory standard ratio of mixing the 3 components but we all know than in real life there can be deviations from standards resulting in different shades of sealant from deep brownish red to a near pink version. As always it is advisable to check references.

aZXXOoc.jpg

The second decal sheet has all the markings which are related to this ProfiPack release.

nsPjTs4.jpg

The photoetch includes two versions of the instrument panel and of the side panels. The main difference is that on most Czech versions after overhaul at the local aircraft factory the cockpit internal surfaces were painted in that later so common Turquoise blue-green. In other countries it was not so common. In places like Vietnam the aircraft did not have a long life time so they remained with the original factory grey cockpit. But so was the Hungarian version, where even after overhaul it was repainted in grey although a slightly different (darker) shade in comparison with the original.

dqGAfHD.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Robert,

You are welcome! Hope you will like the kit. There are some interesting cross kiting possibilities, for example to produce the Indian FL version. 

For anyone wanting to build Option E, the Hungarian AF MiG-21PF No. 409 here is some extra information to help you. Not everything was included in the instruction sheet. : (  

-    The internal surfaces of undercarriage bays, undercarriage doors, gear struts are painted the same light blue as the underside of the aircraft surface. The best colour for this is MRP 353.

-   On this MiG-21PF No. 409 the central part of the front wheel hub is also painted the underside light blue on both sides. Only the very rim of the hub is in the traditional dark green hub colour.

-   Left side, about 1/5 th of the instrument panel is cockpit internal grey and not black as suggested on the instruction sheet. This is also given wrongly on the pre-painted photoetch part 7.

-    Etch Part PE19 (overhead canopy protector plate of SK ejection seat) was not used by the time camouflage was applied.

-    Each tyre had a antiskid marking applied on both sides going from the rim of hub onto the rubber surface. In case of 409 it was a fairly big white rectangle with a red arrow on it. Decal 33 is for this. Unfortunately it was left out from the instruction sheet.

-    Strange and interesting that on this particular aircraft the IFF (etch parts PE10) antennas were painted red.

-    Camouflage colours are authentically reproduced by Mr. Paint with MRP 351 (Sand Brown), MRP 352 (Dark Green) and MRP 353 (Light Blue). The colours are reproduction of the original paint so a little toning down is required for scale effect and some weathering of the top colours.

-    While the whole aircraft was camouflaged for almost a decade the centreline additional 490 litre fuel tank was left in true natural metal. It had all the panels visible on the “naked” aluminium surface.

-   The camouflage colours had an overspray onto the metal surfaces both on the intake ring and on exhaust rings. During painting no masking was applied on these surfaces so an uneven overspray was visible up to the last days of the aircraft.

Few additional comments:

-   The engine parts, the can interior (Parts D47, D49 and D54) is mid grey/stainless steel in colour. Only the centre part the afterburner flame holder ring (Part D40) is that ceramic heat resistant green colour. The “arms” of the flame holder are little darker metallic colour in comparison to the can interior.

-   Air intake interior is matt aluminium in colour and not Dark Iron as suggested on page 4.

-   On Page 10. Most MiG-21PF’s did not have the capability to carry the Rocket Assisted Take Off units (Part D31 and D70). This includes the Hungarian airframes so the RATO bottles should be left off.

Hope this is of some help to anyone building this kit in scheme E.

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

thanks Gabor, the VNAF version is a must for me, 

A doubt, the MiG-21FL how different is against PF? FL=PF frame with PFM Tail? I thinking on Arab MiG (Egyptian or Syrian)

Cheers

The question of the MiG-21FL was raised on Czech forums with Mr. Sulc several times both with regards to the quarter scale and now the 72nd kit. I don’t think he has made up his mind but based on some comments he is not really sure about this.

The FL was an interesting cross and intermediate version between the PF and PFM.

It still had the Fowler type flaps, that is the earlier wing from the PF. The parachute pack was moved to the base of the tail and it had the wider fin of the later types. So one needs the fuselage of the PFM and the fin of PFM with the wing from the PF. The interesting thing is that the FL retained the earlier forward opening canopy from the MiG-21F-13 and PF versions and this also means that it had the SK ejection seat. To fit the forward opening canopy on the PFM fuselage is no problem.

All the parts are there in the PF and PFM kits so it is possible to do a cross kitting from them. The same of course applies for the 48th scale kit.

One solution to be able buy both kits and pay less would be to get the Overtrees version or versions.

I don’t know if Eduard will make the PF wing on Sprue G available separately to make this cross kitting more economical. All other parts are there in the standard PFM set.

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The FL was an interesting cross and intermediate version between the PF and PFM.

It still had the Fowler type flaps, that is the earlier wing from the PF. The parachute pack was moved to the base of the tail and it had the wider fin of the later types. So one needs the fuselage of the PFM and the fin of PFM with the wing from the PF. The interesting thing is that the FL retained the earlier forward opening canopy from the MiG-21F-13 and PF versions and this also means that it had the SK ejection seat. To fit the forward opening canopy on the PFM fuselage is no problem.

All the parts are there in the PF and PFM kits so it is possible to do a cross kitting from them. The same of course applies for the 48th scale kit.

One solution to be able buy both kits and pay less would be to get the Overtrees version or versions.

I don’t know if Eduard will make the PF wing on Sprue G available separately to make this cross kitting more economical. All other parts are there in the standard PFM set.

excellent analysis!!! thanks a lot

Cheers

H there

I wonder to ask which model I have to choose for an Arab specifically an Egyptian mid production MiG-21 (the PF or the PFM) and if they also used the big GSH-9 (Indian gun pod)

Best modelling

Armando  

5 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

... and if they also used the big GSH-9 (Indian gun pod)

GP-9 pod that contained a GSh-23 cannon rather (low-case "h" as I think "Sh" is a letter in Russian) I think.

Edited by Laurent
  • ya-gabor changed the title to MiG-21PF and other Fishbed versions in 72nd scale from Eduard