MiG-21PF and other Fishbed versions in 72nd scale from Eduard

On 8/7/2021 at 5:31 PM, ya-gabor said:

Anyone waiting for other versions  of MiG-21's from Eduard brand in future here is little news on a Czech forum from yesterday (6th August 2021):

Question from Jiří :

I want to ask how it is with the MiG-21R, bis, SMT in 1/72, if any of them will be next year, or which will be the first.

Answer from Mr. Sulc:

There will be no more MiG-21s in 1/72 next year. We are not currently working on any. Now in 1/72 we do only on the series Bf 109F, G and K, and S-199. We do not have free capacity for the next project in 1/72.

This means that nothing as far as MiG-21 in 2022 but a lot of 109's instead. Obvious there is no interest in MiG-21's but far more in 109's, so a normal business decision is to do 109's. This is OK and clear talking.  

If I remember right the MiG-21R was supposed to be in late 2018 or 2019. Today is August 2021. There is no point in speaking (waiting / dreaming ) about the SMT or even the MiG-21bis which both need far more new parts than the MiG-21R.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for the info Gabor, although it isn't the best news for MiG-21 fans in the 1/72 scale.

I think Eduard (and also Mr.Sulc) has a preference for WW2 aircraft, you just have to take a look at the monthly Eduard online magazine to realize WW2 does it for them.

21 minutes ago, pollie said:

Thanks for the info Gabor, although it isn't the best news for MiG-21 fans in the 1/72 scale.

I think Eduard (and also Mr.Sulc) has a preference for WW2 aircraft, you just have to take a look at the monthly Eduard online magazine to realize WW2 does it for them.

I know for fact that Mr.Sulc is more a WW1 man but I am sure He/they have realized a long time ago that those biplanes could not make the money a company of even this size to be viable.

WW2 and 48th scale makes the most money, there is no question about it! Still I think there should be a balance in the product range to reach a wider audience. But I am only a stupid modeller, and what should I know. 

I did make (not completely finished) a conversion set for myself with MiG-21bis parts (to build it from Edu MF in 72) but at the moment it is on hold. Since early June I have a hell of a lot of work with my museum of ejection seat and safety equipment.

Also last week I had an idea and for this coming  Saturday have organized a "Working Bee" (or for those on the other side of the Iron Curtain a "Subotnic") event here in Budapest to start a restoration of an early MiG-21 aircraft. Tomorrow we will give it a big wash down and make assesment of all the things needed replacing or mending.

It will be fun!!!  : )  : )  : )  

But this also has taken all this last week in organizing it all. A lot of organizing work for a simple event! : )

Will report on progress somewhere here on ARC. 

Best regards

Gabor 

4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

WW2 and 48th scale makes the most money, there is no question about it!

I wonder if this will change as the boomers start dying.  Or if it's so ingrained in modellers now, it's just the default 'mainstream' subject.

12 hours ago, MoFo said:

I wonder if this will change as the boomers start dying.  Or if it's so ingrained in modellers now, it's just the default 'mainstream' subject.

The variety of so many different types in WW2 and post war years is something that is hard to beat!!!!!

What do you have today???

One or two new type of aircraft every 10-15-20 years. Like in US and F-22 and F-35. On the other side of the border we are still watching the re-re-re-rebirth of the Su-27 from originally where, the 70’s???

In WW2 one had new types, new versions coming almost monthly!!! Everyone can find a type which he likes. And so many paint schemes, historic stories behind them. . .

Best regards

Gabor

On 8/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, MoFo said:

I wonder if this will change as the boomers start dying...

When the Boomers and Gen X are dead there probably will be very few if any new models.

I love jets and have a stash of Eduard 1/48 MiG-21s even though I much prefer 1/32 scale. My wish would be to see the Eduard releases in that scale, which isn't going to happen. Life is about compromises. 

Great kits in both scales, but it's a shame they did not open up the airbrakes on the lower wing part.

Tony  

I know it has little to do with this subject (strictly speaking) apart from the fact that its all about a real MiG-21. We had today the Working Bee or Subotnik with this real Fishbed. It was fun! OK the weather was a bit hot with clear sky’s and 35 C and all day out on the sun but . . . From 9AM to 4PM we did manage to do a lot of work. Primarily it was to wash down about 30 years of weather and seasons induced grime, look for what is missing, fixing some panels, adding few bits and pieces where needed . . .

Will have some images of the work soon, somewhere here on ARC but for the moment after a very long day I am a bit tired and will go to bed early.

I know it is only a real MiG-21, but it is possible that some modellers will learn few things about this bird.   : )   : )    : )

Best regards

Gabor

14 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The variety of so many different types in WW2 and post war years is something that is hard to beat!!!!!

What do you have today???

I don't really agree.  If you want variety, in types, in appearances, and in colour schemes, WWI is way, way more diverse (you can literally build something in any colour of the rainbow...  WWII planes are *literally* painted drab!) yet it's still a really niche subject matter.  Besides, even given the variety of WWII subjects, most *actual* model building is still limited to the same six or seven basic aircraft, which often depict the same high-profile pilots.

IMO, it's more to do with the WWII echo that happened as the boomers were growing up - classic war movies and shows on TV, a slew of WWII movies in the theatres.  It was an idealized subject, and an easy way to portray good guys and bad guys, in a time when it may not have been as easy in real life.  So it got an inordinate amount of interest, and that's persisted as the boomers are still the predominant modelling generation, and have influenced subsequent generations - Spitfires sell, so we'll make a Spitfire, so you'll buy a Spitfire because it's the latest/greatest kit, which means Spitfires sell...

Anyway...  hijack over.  🙂  It was just a thought that popped into my head as I read your post.

14 hours ago, MoFo said:

I don't really agree.  If you want variety, in types, in appearances, and in colour schemes, WWI is way, way more diverse (you can literally build something in any colour of the rainbow...  WWII planes are *literally* painted drab!) yet it's still a really niche subject matter.  Besides, even given the variety of WWII subjects, most *actual* model building is still limited to the same six or seven basic aircraft, which often depict the same high-profile pilots.

IMO, it's more to do with the WWII echo that happened as the boomers were growing up - classic war movies and shows on TV, a slew of WWII movies in the theatres.  It was an idealized subject, and an easy way to portray good guys and bad guys, in a time when it may not have been as easy in real life.  So it got an inordinate amount of interest, and that's persisted as the boomers are still the predominant modelling generation, and have influenced subsequent generations - Spitfires sell, so we'll make a Spitfire, so you'll buy a Spitfire because it's the latest/greatest kit, which means Spitfires sell...

Anyway...  hijack over.  🙂  It was just a thought that popped into my head as I read your post.

Well, I have been constantly nagging on this forum because I want my Eduard MiG-21UM (in both 1/48 and 1/72). Just look at how many airforces flew this bird and in how many different colour schemes and markings she appeared. That alone should keep me busy for the rest of my modelling career, no WWI or WWII needed 🙂 

Now fast forward to the F-35, and although many air forces are already operating it and more will be added to the list, the variety in colour schemes is rather non-existent. Yet, some of the mainstream kit producer dove on to the subject, and more will follow in the future I'm sure......

15 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I know it has little to do with this subject (strictly speaking) apart from the fact that its all about a real MiG-21. We had today the Working Bee or Subotnik with this real Fishbed. It was fun! OK the weather was a bit hot with clear sky’s and 35 C and all day out on the sun but . . . From 9AM to 4PM we did manage to do a lot of work. Primarily it was to wash down about 30 years of weather and seasons induced grime, look for what is missing, fixing some panels, adding few bits and pieces where needed . . .

Will have some images of the work soon, somewhere here on ARC but for the moment after a very long day I am a bit tired and will go to bed early.

I know it is only a real MiG-21, but it is possible that some modellers will learn few things about this bird.   : )   : )    : )

Best regards

Gabor

Which one are you working on Gabor, the F-13 at Budaors?

1 hour ago, pollie said:

Which one are you working on Gabor, the F-13 at Budaors?

Yes, it is!  : )  : )  : )

Will have few photos later today. It was great fun and hope that other members of our team enjoyed it also.

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, pollie said:

Well, I have been constantly nagging on this forum because I want my Eduard MiG-21UM (in both 1/48 and 1/72). Just look at how many airforces flew this bird and in how many different colour schemes and markings she appeared. That alone should keep me busy for the rest of my modelling career, no WWI or WWII needed 🙂 

In principle Edu is working on the two seater and the early MiG-21F-13. They did acknowledge this a long time ago, but of course they will be made in quarter scale first, and then who know how many more years will it take these versions to appear in 72 nd. Also it will take a long time even to get around to the F-13 or any of the two seaters in the first place. We are speaking here of years!

I am not sure if they have realized that the differences between the MiG-21U, 21US and 21UM are so significant that they will have to (should anyway) make separate kits for them! It is very unlikely that Edu will invest in full 3 versions of the trainer.

They have all the in-house “experts” at Edu so there is absolutely no point in trying to help them in any way, be it a MiG-21bis, an F-13 or the trainers. Speaking from my own experience with them it is a complete and utter waste of time!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Here is question for all Mig-21 experts... 

I would be interested in building a Cuban Mig-21 MF in the future, in a nice blue-green scheme.

However, I am not sure which Eduard kit to get for the job - the Interceptor or the Fighter-Bomber version?

Thanks for any suggestions.

On 8/17/2021 at 1:03 AM, drake122 said:

Here is question for all Mig-21 experts... 

I would be interested in building a Cuban Mig-21 MF in the future, in a nice blue-green scheme.

However, I am not sure which Eduard kit to get for the job - the Interceptor or the Fighter-Bomber version?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Apparently the first MFs were received by Cuba in 1971. In that year, only GAZ-30 built the MiG-21MF meaning the 'Fighter-Bomber' version (Eduard made that designation up). 

However, it might be later MiG-21MFs received by the Cubans (1974-1975) were built by GAZ-21, so 'Interceptor'.

Safe choice would be 'Fighter-Bomber', with a bort number between 510 - 520.

7 hours ago, pollie said:

Apparently the first MFs were received by Cuba in 1971. In that year, only GAZ-30 built the MiG-21MF meaning the 'Fighter-Bomber' version (Eduard made that designation up). 

However, it might be later MiG-21MFs received by the Cubans (1974-1975) were built by GAZ-21, so 'Interceptor'.

Safe choice would be 'Fighter-Bomber', with a bort number between 510 - 520.

Thank you!

• 3 months later...

For anyone who has been waiting for news on further 72nd scale Fishbeds here is a comment from the CEO of Eduard to dampen any expectations! Sad but it says it all and developments / new kit releases in the past years only support this.

The CEO’s comment last night was in response to questions about disappearing 72nd scale kits, or lack of 72 nd Revolution declared many years ago.

It is long gone (this is my comment)

Was it 4 or 5 years ago when I commented that the chances for new 72nd Fishbeds (like MiG-21bis, SMT, F-13, UM or even the easy to make MiG-21R from the current MF/PF/PFM sprues), a continuation of the MiG-21 family line is highly unlikely or will take a hell of a lot of time (many many years) IF EVER!

Here were are in the closing days of 2021 and . . .

Here is a screen print of the forum with translation by the forum system and also a Google translation of the important part.

cDDPg2Y.png

So yes, you're right that we make less news on the 72nd than on Thursdays (48 th scale). In December, we have 18 seventy-two items out of a total of seventy-six. Well, I guess we have only four seventy-two news items for February.

On the other hand, I declare myself as a Thursday (48 th scale) company and the 72nd is a side production in our country. That's right, there's no point in lamenting it.

Noah, on the third hand, if someone asks if we could do something done on Thursday (48 th scale), also in the seventies, there's nothing wrong with that either. This is fine, and there is often some inspiration in such a question. So I have no questions about such questions, on the contrary, I am happy for them.

Best regards

Gabor

58 minutes ago, Tomcat Trebor said:

I wonder if Eduard would pass on the 1/72 MiG-21 project to Special Hobby ?

Regards

Robert

No please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SH quality is . . .   

Even the old Zvezda would be better!

Best regards

Gabor

27 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

No please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SH quality is . . .   

Even the old Zvezda would be better!

Best regards

Gabor

Really? SH Mirage F.1, Super Mystère are inferior to the old Zvevda? Have you started mixing Xmas cocktails a bit early this year? 

Looking forward to the SH 1/72 Mirage III/5 too but I do love the Eduard "Thursday" Fishbed kits — just wish they'd get on with the F-13 and Uchebny and seriously reconsider upscaling all of them to 1/32 ("Saturday night out"?).

That and retooling the lower wing parts to facilitate opened airbrake compartments. 

Tony 

Hi Tony.T,

It is all question of individual taste.

I have the SH Mirage F1 and wish that never spent a penny on it!!!

Mind you for sure I will not get (never) the Zvezda PFM or bis. Once again fortunately we have our own choices and taste and it is not compulsory for anyone to buy any given product.

I don’t think that Eduard will ever do a 32nd scale version of any MiG-21. They will rather get the kit from any Chinese manufacturer and do the usual “repack” with some extra things (which are according to them strictly not correction but only detailing) and a big decal sheet.

The 48th scale F-13 and the two seater trainers are in the pipeline (somewhere) and will surface in few years time.

But here on this forums right now we are speaking about the 72nd scale kits! I am sure there is somewhere something for the 48th and bigger scale modellers.

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Tony T,

It is all question of individual taste.

I have the SH Mirage F1 and wish that never spent a penny on it!!!

Mind you for sure I will not get (never) the Zvezda PFM or bis. Once again fortunately we have our own choices and taste and it is not compulsory for anyone to buy any given product.

I don’t think that Eduard will ever do a 32nd scale version of any MiG-21. They will rather get the kit from any Chinese manufacturer and do the usual “repack” with some extra things (which are according to them strictly not correction but only detailing) and a big decal sheet.

The 48th scale F-13 and the two seater trainers are in the pipeline (somewhere) and will surface in few years time.

But here on this forums right now we are speaking about the 72nd scale kits! I am sure there is somewhere something for the 48th and bigger scale modellers.

Best regards

Gabor

Given that you've already posted an email extract in which Eduard say "72nd scale is a side production [for us]" and that you have dismissed SH kits as not worth a penny, there isn't anything left to discuss apart from what Eduard might do with the so-called "Thursday" Fishbeds, which are the ones that are selling.

I buy all my favourite aircraft subjects in every available double-digit scale, so I am interested in what Eduard are doing with the MiGs regardless of scale. Sadly, we do not see Cold War Soviet jet subjects coming out in vast, uncontained numbers such that we constantly get lost with choice and need to shepherd the subject matter. 

Tony 

That is indeed bad news for the 72nd Fishbed family, but I have to say I'm not suprised. It was painfully clear the 72nd Revolution had been surpressed. 

Hopefully a MiG-21bis conversion set for the Eduard 'Interceptor' will be available soon. With the decent Modelsvit F-13 around, it would leave only the pain of having no decent twoseat MiG-21 (have I already mentioned the MiG-21UM was operated by at least 42 countries? 🙂 ). 

I only added this news (or Eduard CEO statement) here only because of the MiG-21 family of kits of this topic, but of course it means that ALL 72 nd scale kits are considered by the company as “side product” or second class (more like tenth class) citizens by Eduard.

OK that I like the MiG-21 but also like many other 72nd scale kit and it seems that there is not much hope for them in quantity.  : (   : (

Important to note that the CEO did not say that there will be NEVER new 72nd scale kits from Eduard but that they are primarily a quarter scale orientated company.

One can add that the Research & Development of a 48 and 72 scale kit are almost exactly the same, tooling costs are due to bigger size a little higher but not substantially. On the other hand the retail price tag on a 48th scale kit can be much, Much, MUCH higher, producing a considerable larger profit / return for a very similar investment level! So obviously with 48th scale kits a company can make far more money! 

No more questions considering this side of the deal.

Best regards

Gabor

This translation is taken out of context, and no indication at all that we will not be seeing any more Fishbeds in 72nd scale.

Vl.Sulc was simply reacting to a post which claimed there is aminosity between 72nd and 48th scale builders on the website. His response was indeed that they are primarely a 48th scale producer, but they are still producing 72nd scale products and will continue to do so.

They will downscale 48th products (such as the Mig-21R, perhaps?) to 72nd , it is just not a high priority.

And SH Viggens and Mirage F.1s are great kits, there would be nothing wrong with them producing Mig-21s, surely. It is not like they make Mach2 level kits, haha.