First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

Hi guys, so I'm back in the hobby after about 20 years, unbelievable how the hobby have changed in those years can't believe it! There is an air force base near where I live so I see F/A-18 almost every day so I decided to go with the Revell 1/48 F-18 to start it off. I did not want to wheter it too mutch as I think the ''too pronunced panel wash'' makes it kind of cartoonish and unrealistic, so went with another technique. I also don't own an airbrush so I did the best I could with what I saw on the net and here is the result, nowhere near the ones I did back in the days but still not as perfect as I would have liked so I have some questions:

1- What technique do you use to hand brush your models (For those who still do it lol) Primer or no primer, thin the paint a lot or not that much, what brush to use.. etc

2- Do you have some tricks or anything else that helps for filling, sanding, wheathering etc..

3- I'm hopened to criticism so any tips or advice or anything on everything that could help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

YTdKHeS.jpga5LUj6J.jpgnF0Dlmn.jpgo7pYlwI.jpgLjdi87a.jpgwxg2Mbb.jpgQKbhbhU.jpgRN2DVxN.jpga8UBqdl.jpgMGeI5x9.jpgKDjVXoJ.jpgaG1rduQ.jpgn0dK2yn.jpgWWuojiO.jpgoCZ2i3y.jpg

Welcome to the forums! :post1:

Very nice job of brush painting. I don't see any brush marks. As far as techniques for brush painting, I haven't done any, except for small details, in more years than I care to count. I'm sure there is someone here, though, that can help you out. If not, you might try going over to Britmodeler.com and getting an account there too. Seems to me that there are more brush painters over there. Most here are pretty attached to their airbrushes. If you continue in this hobby for long, an airbrush and compressor would be a good investment. As for modeling techniques and tips, Google is your friend. There tons of written and video tutorials out there. Try this link for a few...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=model+airplane+building+techniques

Though I must say, it seems like you have the basic down. You'll find it is helpful when asking questions to be as specific as possible in what you are trying to find out. If there is some problem you run up against while building, bring that problem here and spell it out in detail. The first step in finding answers is asking the correct question. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Mstor said:

Welcome to the forums! :post1:

Very nice job of brush painting. I don't see any brush marks. As far as techniques for brush painting, I haven't done any, except for small details, in more years than I care to count. I'm sure there is someone here, though, that can help you out. If not, you might try going over to Britmodeler.com and getting an account there too. Seems to me that there are more brush painters over there. Most here are pretty attached to their airbrushes. If you continue in this hobby for long, an airbrush and compressor would be a good investment. As for modeling techniques and tips, Google is your friend. There tons of written and video tutorials out there. Try this link for a few...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=model+airplane+building+techniques

Though I must say, it seems like you have the basic down. You'll find it is helpful when asking questions to be as specific as possible in what you are trying to find out. If there is some problem you run up against while building, bring that problem here and spell it out in detail. The first step in finding answers is asking the correct question. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark! I've been googleing and youtubing a lot lately and there is a ton of helpful stuff!!