Any (new) rumors on a 1/48 Tamiya late version P-38?

I am soooooo looking forward to, and hoping for, the topic airplane, so I can build a Richard Bong plane.  I feel like there are a huge number of folks with the same thoughts.  Tamiya, I'm sure, is making big money on the F/G model, of which I have 2, but they would be able to print money (someone else said this before me) by releasing a P-38J, in my humble opinion.

So, any rumblings on a "J"?  I know that historically, Tamiya has had a tendency to NOT release other versions of planes they've had kits of, but I"m truly hoping that the P-38 will be an exception. Based on my about 50% completion with one of my two P-38s, I'd REALLY rather not have to perform the modifications that it would take to create a "J" from the "F/G".   I'm hoping fervently for such an airplane...

The way that the F/G is designed, I would say that it is certain they will eventually. There would be no reason to design the kit the way that they did if they weren't going to do other versions. I can't give any kind of guess as to when though. I would think that they would want to let the F/G version have some time on the market first.

If you haven't built the F/G version, it is a beautiful kit and a lot of fun to build

On 2/12/2020 at 12:17 PM, Brenhen said:

The way that the F/G is designed, I would say that it is certain they will eventually. There would be no reason to design the kit the way that they did if they weren't going to do other versions. I can't give any kind of guess as to when though. I would think that they would want to let the F/G version have some time on the market first.

If you haven't built the F/G version, it is a beautiful kit and a lot of fun to build

I would not say that a future release of the P-38 is certain.  As you said, based on the tooling, subsequent variants are easily and efficiently accounted for, but this is Tamiya.  We are all still waiting for the 1:32 F-16, zero, and spitfire sub-variants that they have already tooled and just have to mix and match parts to release.  Not to mention all the other kits that just require a new part or two for another version.  I know I am waiting for other P-38's to come my way, but nothing is certain with Tamiya.

Edited by is it windy yet?
6 hours ago, is it windy yet? said:

I would not say that a future release of the P-38 is certain.  As you said, based on the tooling, subsequent variants are easily and efficiently accounted for, but this is Tamiya.  We are all still waiting for the 1:32 F-16, zero, and spitfire sub-variants that they have already tooled and just have to mix and match parts to release.  Not to mention all the other kits that just require a new part or two for another version.  I know I am waiting for other P-38's to come my way, but nothing is certain with Tamiya.

Very fair point. I guess nothing is certain

On 2/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, Brenhen said:

I have 2 of the F/G kits, one of which is build in progress, made it through priming, painting is next.  You are correct that this model is REALLY something else!  The P-38 surely was worthy of this kind of treatment!!!  Glad Tamiya decided to make one.  I understand that Tamiya seems to have an odd, unfathomable rational for doing what they do, in particular for not putting out kits that would seem to be obviously popular versions, with minimal effort, and which would also seem to be potential significant money makers for the company.  Certainly, a P-38J, which I think is the Richard Bong 'Marge' variant, would seem to be a huge success, just waiting to happen.   I will be getting at least 2 of those if/when they are available. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see Tamiya "downscale" their P-38F/G to 1/72.  At present, the best early model P-38 in Gentlemen's Scale is the RS models kit, which isn't bad, but is decidedly limited-run.

SN

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, barkin mad said:

Looks like some of you will be happy..........

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/61123/index.htm

------------

Oh my goodness YES!  My dreams that Tamiya would actually do this variant have come true!  And, from the Tamiya website, it looks like they are going to include the Richard Bong 'Marge' aircraft...so perhaps I won't need my aftermarket decals for it.  Yahoo!!!!  Thanks, barkin, for posting!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I'm sure that if anyone has heard any updates on a release date for this upcoming P-38J, they would have posted, but I'm sending out a request in case I missed it.  Any word on when the new J variant might hit the street?

On 3/22/2022 at 3:21 AM, Collin said:

Podcast I listen to a few days ago...the Tamiya USA rep said June/July 2022.

Cheers

Collin

Great news...thanks for update, Collin.