No, not a new song title, but trying to determine what shade of blue was used on the VF-143 F-14As in the light gull gray over white era.  I have the Furball Decals, and they specify Insignia Blue for the tops of the tailfins (that must be painted), but that will not match the blue trim of the tailfins and the three stripes on the forward fuselage.  Looking at photos on the web, the blue is definitely lighter than the dark blue of the insignia.  The hue varies with the photos too - in one photo it definitely has a hint of red in it which I can find no FS match for.  In others it looks less rich, so I am thinking something along the lines of FS 15050 Blue Angels blue as that would also be available through the Navy supply chain...

Jens

Don't know if this will help, but I recently completed the new 1/72 Academy F-14A in early Pukin' markings. The decals are printed by Cartograf and the instructions indicate to use Mr. Color "Bright Blue" 65 to match to the blue in the decals. The closest color on the FS chart would be 15123. Now, I don't know if that color is accurate, but it matches the blue decals in this kit.

43 minutes ago, silverkite211 said:

That navy at one time used a color known as True Blue, perhaps this is the color that was used. I'm thinking that someone produced this color once, however the name of the company eludes me.

Testors produced a True Blue in the Model Master line, I may be wrong but I think it is one of the many colors they discontinued. 

21 minutes ago, okthree said:

Testors produced a True Blue in the Model Master line, I may be wrong but I think it is one of the many colors they discontinued. 

Yes, discontinued. :crying:

Snatch up a bottle if you can find it.

Finally got a bottle of MrColor 65 Bright blue and sprayed a test sample.  It is too dark and bright for FS _5123.  I had a good look through my 50 shades of blue drawer and came up with two other candidates that looked near enough (though not labelled FS_5125).  I took the image on my mobile under LED lighting - not the best, but daylight was waning.

MrColor C65 is on the right, on the left is White Ensign Models WEMCC GW17 WW1 RN/USN #3 Blue, and in the middle is WEMCC ACUS 28 True Blue.  That looks like the best match, although in some angles it looks too dark.  Overall I think it will work on the early Pukin Dogs scheme.

VF-143-blue-test.jpg

The blue was 15102 True Blue. MM made it. MRP makes it - MRP384. Mr Color C65 is a very close match although I don’t know if they list it as an FS color. Tamiya also has a close match but don’t know the bottle off the top of my head. X-4 I think. 

Can’t tell you what matches the decals or what the decals were printed too, but the Navy color was 15102. 
brian 

9 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Yeah, but what matches the blue on your decal? That's the key.

None of them.  The decal is too dark when I compare with photos, so I will be masking and spraying the blue trim.  The decal instructions say to paint the top of the tailfins 15044 Insignia blue to match, but that colour is too dark to match the decals.

15102 it is then...let me have another look at that FS 595 fan...

Thanks for your input Brian.  Here is another look at the same three colours compared to 15102.  MrColor C65 is on the bottom with the two White Ensign Models Colourcoats on top.  This time the RN/USN #3 Blue is in the middle and the True Blue on top, but there is little difference between them.  The MrColor is too bright and intense for 15102 whereas the Colourcoats are a pretty good match even though they are an eggshell finish rather than gloss.  I suspect a gloss coat will darken them somewhat.

The first photo is taken under the LED lights of my desk lamp.  The second photo is taken with natural (overcast) light coming in from the left.  Both photos taken with my mobile phone with no white balance correction.

VF-143-blue-test-2-under-LE.jpg

VF-143-blue-test-2-light-fr.jpg

Yeah, I’m just telling you what color blue the dogs were painting their jets. Pretty sure I goofed the color on the Fightertown 48083 sheet (if we sales out a color), but we did match the decals to the Fs color. Printing variations could have affected the actual color. I know Geoff Kruger built that jet and used a blend of Tamiya X-4 and another blue to match our decals. 

I don’t have or haven’t seen the Furball instructions, so I can’t help there. But the only 15044 paint they’ve used I know of was on their last cruise jets that we (Fightertown) covered way back on 48003. 
brian