Whirlybbirds TV series decals

True. 

The Bell 47 club had members that made them, but that was several years ago. If you go back to the beginning of this forum (circa 2006), there is a post about this topic

Anyone here know if someone/some company who could make a sheet of various sizes for me?

MidnightProwler...

That's what I'm after. 

It looks like you merged the Revell and MPC kits, something I've been meaning to do since the mid-90s when the kits came out.

The Speedway decals site says he's getting out of the business, so that might not be an option.

BTW. Are you Jeff J from the Bell 47 Association?

Edited by JohnEB
Fix typo
14 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

My 1/35 build.

whirly16.jpgj

Wow!  That turned out gorgeous!   That will be an easy set of decals to make.  This is a version I'm going to do!  It's a good think I do my own decal artwork.  I can squeeze this in my print job getting ready to go out this weekend.  My other 47's  I got the last set of decals for the LAPD and LAFD last year. 

Edited by AirMedical
17 hours ago, JohnEB said:

MidnightProwler...

That's what I'm after. 

It looks like you merged the Revell and MPC kits, something I've been meaning to do since the mid-90s when the kits came out.

The Speedway decals site says he's getting out of the business, so that might not be an option.

BTW. Are you Jeff J from the Bell 47 Association?

Yes I merged the kits. He has the artwork. Email him, he may be willing to do a set or two. No, I'm not Jeff J.  Air medical, thanks.

On 2/20/2020 at 8:04 PM, JohnEB said:

Speedway came through.

I'm ordering sets in 1/35th, 1/48th (which I'll put on a 1/43rd diecast), and 1/72nd.

Thanks for the tip!

How many sets did you have to order and can you tell me how much he charged, I would be VERY interested in a couple sets as well...

Jeff

He says a sheet/set has enough for two models.

Prices are $6.95 for 1/35 (remember to use the Revell kit with the MRC skids or a Revell cabin & fuel tanks on the rest of the MRC kit) $5.95 for 1/48, $4.95 For 1/72nd.

Plus, if you don't use PayPal there is a surcharge (which I don't mind since I dropped my PayPal  account after they allowed a bogus $500 charge to Kenya ...really guys, it's not like I have a history of buying stuff, in suspiciously round numbers, in Africa).

I haven't received them yet, so I can't comment on the quality.

His website says he's closing up shop at the end of 2020...so as they say on TV, order now!😀

Now all we need is a kit of an early Cessna 310 and Sky King "Songbird" decals.

10 hours ago, JohnEB said:

Prices are $6.95 for 1/35 (remember to use the Revell kit with the MRC skids or a Revell cabin & fuel tanks on the rest of the MRC kit) $5.95 for 1/48, $4.95 For 1/72nd.

Plus, if you don't use PayPal there is a surcharge (which I don't mind since I dropped my PayPal  account after they allowed a bogus $500 charge to Kenya ...really guys, it's not like I have a history of buying stuff, in suspiciously round numbers, in Africa).

His website says he's closing up shop at the end of 2020...so as they say on TV, order now!😀

Thanks john, I will get on this right away.... I appreciate your quick response.....

Cheers

Jeff

17 hours ago, JohnEB said:

He uses a Alps printer. They are very nice thin decals. Printed on clear film so you will have to trim closely. Look at my build above. Those are by him.

8 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

He uses a Alps printer. They are very nice thin decals. Printed on clear film so you will have to trim closely. Look at my build above. Those are by him.

He just sent me a note and I have placed an order, ............  I ordered a couple extra sheets too, just in case I screw one up and / or I want to do another one down the road when they won't be available, then I will still have what I need............ trying to think ahead and be proactive................... then I won't have to beg anyone here for a spare set..... see I AM thinking ahead !!🤓

39 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

You'll be happy with them. He's not fully closing shop, just not doing custom made to order work. His regular line will still be available.

That sounds very encouraging.................so would these be considered his 'regular' line as he already has the art work done? Technically it wouldn't be 'custom work', as the designs are not in need of redoing?  hhhmmm.... just wondering .....

Contact made, order placed, and a few sets of all 3 scales, will soon be on their way to my model room..................  THANKS for the heads up and the effort to pass on this great information............ this is going to be very cool...

23 hours ago, biggu said:

That sounds very encouraging.................so would these be considered his 'regular' line as he already has the art work done? Technically it wouldn't be 'custom work', as the designs are not in need of redoing?  hhhmmm.... just wondering .....

You are correct sir.

So, it seems I'm not the only guy who remembers Whirlybirds!

The series ended 60 years ago and has not been widely seen in reruns since the mid 70s...so let's say 40+ years.

Today was my 65th birthday, and I bet I'm one of the younger original fans out there. I can only just remember them when they were new. So either the rest of you are old or there some real history buffs out there. Or maybe you cheated and watched them on YouTube! 😀

While living in Japan in 1960-63, I'd watch them on Japanese TV (sponsored by Sony with a new intro featuring a 47J Ranger in Sony markings...just like the old Nachimo kit).

While living in the UK in 1987, I found BBC showing them on Sunday morning as part of a block of children's programming.

I have some reproductions of the Whirlybirds uniform patches, a Swader Bell 47 toy with WB markings (Given away as a promotion by a bakery), and a unmarked Coloring book...plus a full set of promotional photos (the last two items came from the collection of the late Bell test pilot and author Ned Gilliam).

3 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

I'm 59. I watched them when I came home from school in the mid 60's.

And I will be 62 on March 5 and I remember it too, a VERY exciting series, and I did manage to get Season 1 on DVD from Amazon.... I only wish they would do the rest of them , along with the tv series Sky King and 12 O'Clock High............ the BEST old school tv ever.....

I think the Whirlybirds  DVDs on Amazon are not the complete series.

Likewide, I don't think 12 O'CLOCK High is an "official" video.

Sky King is available as the complete series, and not bootleg. Not exactly cheap, but good quality and you get a history book. The only complaint is a small one, every episode...including the early ones with the Cessna T-50, have the later Nabisco-sponsored introduction with the Cessna 310.

Their website is  skyking.com.