747-200 (Flaps down - Hasegawa 1/200)

Hi, here's my second attempt at a 747 - on a real Hasegawa kit this time.  I'll be using AV-O's beautiful flap set.  I made the mistake of curving the wings on the Hobbycraft and couldn't figure out how the slats would conform to the curved leading edge so I had to shelve that project.  I'll also make sure to block out the windows on this build and use the decals.   

I haven't decided on a livery yet but here's the Hasegawa kit I got:

49529365891_3c8addbd0c_h.jpg

49529594217_594e3bab74_h.jpg

49529594202_b70c611e46_h.jpg

49528862453_36b5e277b3_h.jpg

49529677697_e9845384da_h.jpg

The Hobbycraft fuselage had surface undulations that needed correcting.   This Hasegawa fuselage looks awesome.

49529677737_cc6b50caa5_h.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Tracy, here are a couple pics...   It's been a while -- I'll have to orient myself with the parts again, do the cleanup and fix the broken rods.   I think I lost some parts   -- might have to do some scratchbuilding but having the set surely beats having to scratchbuild every single one of them.

49685867198_5257900550_h.jpg

49686397701_f872d36647_h.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, time to continue this build...

img%5D

In my mind I thought I'd already made some good progress as far as the fuselage.  Then I remembered that was the Hobbycraft.   I'm basically back to zero.  

img%5D

I was backreading on old threads about using clear glue on the windows after the build instead of decals and someone said they have to be thinned down or you'll end up with sunken windows.   I tried sanding them down but it was taking too long.  Tried scraping with the handle of a paint brush and that worked, somehow.

img%5D

My only casualties were these two windows because at some point I still thought it was taking too long and decided to use a dremel and wire wheel and not realizing that the spot was starting to melt I ended up with this -- will have to figure out how repair them with some sheet styrene.   I ditched the wire wheel and had to go back to scraping and sanding.

img%5D 

img%5D  

You can see how thin I was able to bring them down to compared to the upper level windows.  

img%5D

The light is starting to shine through the plastic.  I don't really know how thin they should be for the glue webbing to work well and prevent sunken windows -- I figured eggshell-thin would be good but I have to be careful not to scrape/sand too much and poke through the wall.   Will also have to use some light-blocking paint before I close up the shell halves.   

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanks, Ray!

That didn't work too well.   I realize I'm not skillful at all at making these clear glue windows:   I tried cleaning up the sides right after applying the glue but the webbing would pop.   Tried the cleanup using a wet cotton bud after it had dried but no dice.   The glue is hard when set.

img%5D%C2%A0 

I may have better luck at drawing the shades down on some windows for a semi-realistic look.  Just wondering about how to mask them for painting.  

img%5D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi avn, the windows are still open but I'll be trying out Elmer's glue as suggested in another thread.  A few other options I'm thinking about -- there's this product: Window Pro -- and I'm wondering, too,  what would happen if I cut up little pieces of acetate on the Cricut.  In the last pic was sonething I thought was an easy way out -- plain styrene strips glued to the back to simulate drawn shades.  But looking at pics of the real aircraft you don't really see the drawn shades too well.  

No worries, avn.   Hope I can do the windows justice.    I found a bigger brass tube for gutting the fuse : )   Keeping the edge sharp does wonders, too.  For half an hour I was scraping without much happening.   And when I tried the other end of the brass tube  I noticed it was sharper and it just ate away at the plastic with every stroke -- so satisfying : )

img%5D

It's a messy affair : )   All for want of thinner windows.   Once in a while I stop and ask myself why I'm so hell-bent on doing this : )   

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to decide for the longest time whether to paint the insides with some dark paint.  I don't have a choice now, as I've glued the shell halves together.  I really regret it but I'll charge it to experience and carry on.    

img%5D%C2%A0%C2%A0

img%5D

Will use some Easy-sanding CA on the seams.

img%5D

img%5D

That fuselage looks really good though.  Just look at those clean lines.

I have a little problem, @AV O.     I couldn't find the old Hobbycraft wings that I've cut and bent before that I intend to use for this build so I need to start over.   I'm cutting the Hasegawa wings right now and ran into a hitch on a section of the wing.

img%5D  

It's this section right here.  I'm cutting along this line --  and I'm expecting the other side to somehow match the edge of the control surface..

img%5D 

But as you can see, it's a couple mm from the edge of the control surface when I check underneath  --- I don't understand why that is.   Am I doing it right?   I can't recall what I did on the Hobbycraft - if I ran into the same issue.   I remember it was rather uneventful.

img%5D  

Edited by crackerjazz

The leading edge of the flaps you are cutting away rest under the trailing edge of the top skin / spoilers thus the bottom leading edge of the flap sections is further forward.  You can see in the last picture the small amount of flap that still needs to be cut away.

Looking at this picture, you can see from the rub marks just how much of the flap is under the top skin / spoiler when retracted.

boeing-extended-wing-flaps-landing-seattle-tacoma-airport-washington-usa-54804834.jpg.774635e38f0672fcf3d901d8645a4c37.jpg

C2j

Hi C2j, thanks for the reply I hope I'm doing this right.   Hi AV O my memory must be going.   I'm really still confused at the moment but I'll keep posting pics of my progress, and if you spot anything wrong just stop me.   And sorry about all the questions -- I may have to keep bugging you guys.   Once I get this down pat, I should probably create a step-by-step with lots of pics posterity's sake, haha.  And for myself, too -- I envision a couple more 747 buiilds in different liveries.  I just can't remember how I did things in the past  - and especially for something like this -- I just know I won't remember any of it later on without pictures to guide me.

img%5D 

img%5D 

img%5D

I'm preserving what I can in case I need to glue parts of it back on.

img%5D  

img%5D 

img%5D  

img%5D  

Is this part supposed to go on here?

img%5D 

img%5D  

And am I supposed to cut this way?    (or do I need to leave a strip at the leading edge?)

Edited by crackerjazz

Some pics in this might help - I'd say the curved end is outboard (pic on page 18).  Let e know if you can't see the file and I'll figure out how to get it to you some other way - it's a collection of info I put together for when I get to doing one myself!

Graham

1304968791_747FlapAssembly.docx

Edited by GSymmonds
Changed inboard to outboard

Thanks so much, Graham : )  The photos help a lot!

img%5D

I've cut away the Krueger flaps. They're named after Freddie Krueger because you'll be mangling the wings and your fingers if you're not careful with the Xacto and saw blades.  Just kidding : )  Regarding the outboard fairings I didn't have to cut them away completely.   But they're still intact on the other wing.

img%5D 

Rounded the curved ends using the cutting wheel.

img%5D  

The cuts near the wing root appear curved in the photos because of the wing profile but they're really straight (square cuts).

url%5D  

img%5D

I think I'm making good progress  : )  Thanks again for all the help, guys!   Will familiarize myself more with the references and parts.