Italeri S3 with Black Dog Detail Set 1/48

Hello all,

After I finish with my Hasegawa 1/48 F104 I will start on my S3 with the Black Dog super set (all 3). The cost of the upgrade is more than twice the kit itself but from what I have seen on their website, these resin parts are pretty impressive. Anyone has built the S3 (AMT, ESCI, Italeri) and the Black Dog detail set can give me some feedback? Thanks Dai 

Ive not built the S3 kit but I have used the Black dog parts for the V-22 and I have the parts dry fitted to the AMT B-52 kit and I can whole hearted recommend them, they are well fitted to the kit (in the case of the V-22) with some nice detailing. Expensive maybe but I think it was well worth it, it really sets it off well with some much needed details.

26 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ive not built the S3 kit but I have used the Black dog parts for the V-22 and I have the parts dry fitted to the AMT B-52 kit and I can whole hearted recommend them, they are well fitted to the kit (in the case of the V-22) with some nice detailing. Expensive maybe but I think it was well worth it, it really sets it off well with some much needed details.

Yes indeed. I look at their website and these are HIGH quality stuff. Expensive but on a 40 YO AMT kit the cost is worth it. The kit is now boxed by Italeri and I was amazed this kit was released in 1980 with today's standards. AMT was way ahead of its time. The same goes for the 1/48 Nichimo Ki-43 with recessed panel lines and this was in mid 70s !!! Dai 

Edited by dai phan
4 hours ago, dai phan said:

Hello all,

After I finish with my Hasegawa 1/48 F104 I will start on my S3 with the Black Dog super set (all 3). The cost of the upgrade is more than twice the kit itself but from what I have seen on their website, these resin parts are pretty impressive. Anyone has built the S3 (AMT, ESCI, Italeri) and the Black Dog detail set can give me some feedback? Thanks Dai 

I saw them months earlier.

They seem a lot like some Goffy Models resin sets for the same kit, but with numerous separate parts missing.

So perhaps they don't show all parts on the box cover (why?)

You can compare here, GM set for the wheels and bomb bays (http://acc.kitreview.com/gof4804reviewna_1.htm) and the BD resin set for the wheels and bomb bays (http://www.blackdog.cz/a48.html). No sign of the NLG wheels bay. No sign of the doors and actuators.

So I see 2 differences, first the BD main resin parts seems shorter/too short in length.

And last but not the least, not only it seems you've got far less detail resin parts , and lost some sections, but the price is nearly the same.

42 minutes ago, shion said:

They seem a lot like some Goffy Models resin sets for the same kit, but with numerous separate parts missing.

You can compare here, GM set for the wheels and bomb bays (http://acc.kitreview.com/gof4804reviewna_1.htm) and the BD resin set for the wheels and bomb bays (http://www.blackdog.cz/a48.html). No sign of the NLG wheels bay. No sign of the doors and actuators.

So I see 2 differences, first the BD main resin parts seems shorter/too short in length.

And last but not the least, not only it seems you've got far less detail resin parts , and lost some sections, but the price is nearly the same.

I wish I looked more into before I ordered but I hope for the best. Dai 

Of course.

But the GM resin set worthed easily its price.

You've got hell of a resin kit in the box and more importantly, the set is complete.

Here, if the BD set cover shows all the parts in the set, you are on your own with the Esci/AMT S-3 doors and actuators.

And there's the same problem with the cockpit set, GM resin set provided separate canopies for the aft ejection seats, cockpit sidewalls and some electronic bays.

Seems to have disappeared in the BD set too.

I think thats down to the modeller isnt it.?

I mean the base parts are provided, sure you need to add some amount of modelling skill and ingenuity to it to get a nice looking model but then that marks the difference between a kit assembled and a model built.

There are arguments for both ideas on how its best, and both can end up with a nice looking model, the only real difference is how much work you put in.

16 hours ago, shion said:

Of course.

But the GM resin set worthed easily its price.

You've got hell of a resin kit in the box and more importantly, the set is complete.

Here, if the BD set cover shows all the parts in the set, you are on your own with the Esci/AMT S-3 doors and actuators.

And there's the same problem with the cockpit set, GM resin set provided separate canopies for the aft ejection seats, cockpit sidewalls and some electronic bays.

Seems to have disappeared in the BD set too.

I think the two back seaters are not needed since you can't see squat anyway. I think the BD set is more simplified but more easily obtained. Dai 

2 hours ago, dai phan said:

I think the two back seaters are not needed since you can't see squat anyway. I think the BD set is more simplified but more easily obtained. Dai 

Sitting in the back seat you couldn't see squat looking inside to outside as well.....except for the useless day/night indicator we had (the little circle of window in the back).

Cheers

Collin

14 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

I went ahead and order the engine set. I have read the kit's engines have seams that are very hard to remove. Dai

On 2/13/2020 at 6:23 AM, dai phan said:

Hello all,

I just finished a S-3 with the Black Dog sets, a Paragon tail fold, Wolfpack wingfold, Phase Hanger update set and Sierra Hotel engine intakes. I am happy with how it turned out, the Black Dog bits were pretty nice and weren't too much trouble to put in. I think the bombay way a touch shorter than the kit, but it wasn't a game stopper. I am planning on using more Black Dog sets on future projects, they were pretty nice.

mason 

2 minutes ago, doupnik said:

I just finished a S-3 with the Black Dog sets, a Paragon tail fold, Wolfpack wingfold, Phase Hanger update set and Sierra Hotel engine intakes. I am happy with how it turned out, the Black Dog bits were pretty nice and weren't too much trouble to put in. I think the bombay way a touch shorter than the kit, but it wasn't a game stopper. I am planning on using more Black Dog sets on future projects, they were pretty nice.

mason 

Mason,  will you show us, I would love to see!

• 1 month later...

As far as it concerns the BD wheel/bomb bays it's just a piece of resin (probably made from the original GM mould) with some good details. Nothing more.

On the other hand MD offers the bomb and wheel bays as separate kits however, the level of details is superb. Though a bit pricey, at least for my wallet.

• 3 years later...
On 2/13/2020 at 2:30 PM, shion said:

Black Dog may have used the master mold from Goffy with far less details. Dai 

On 2/17/2020 at 11:43 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Its the only US Navy jet not been touched in the last 10 years or so, Even the E-2 got a kit

Nothing in 1/48,  plastic, ever.

seastar1.jpg

Edited by pookie