Flying Leathernecks Decals 1/48 3D printed HUD's for F/A-18 and AV-8B

These will be available on a limited basis (24 of each every several weeks) and will not be listed on the web site. For more information, you can email us at flyingleathernecks@att.net

Retail is $8.00 each plus shipping. Each HUD is a drop in fit for the Kinetic F/A-18 and Hasegawa AV-8B respectively and includes the HUD 'glass' cut in .005 clear styrene. The F/A-18 HUD has been sized to properly fit under the kit windscreen.

FL48-3000 F/A-18 HUD (this was a quick assembly with only one side of the glass glued)

F-18-HUD.jpg

FL48-3001 AV-8B HUD

84649323-509806109955925-819680384012150

On 2/13/2020 at 10:14 PM, Whiskey said:

Wow Dave, you're really churning out some great stuff these days!

Thank you. We're currently working on a 1/48 Mk-82 500lb bomb with a BSU-86 fin and will be doing another HUD display for a pretty popular aircraft here soon.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, Mstor said:

These look great Dave. I'm ordering two F/A-18 HUDs! :thumbsup:

Thank you! Your order was shipped today. These proved to be very popular as we sold out the first 24 sets in a few hours. More to come soon! 

13 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

These proved to be very popular as we sold out the first 24 sets in a few hours.

I'm not surprised at all. Messing around with some of the PE HUDs supplied by kit manufacturers or aftermarket companies can be really trying, to put it lightly. Your new HUDs look like just what the doctor ordered. If you make more of these for other kits I think they'd sell well. Like the Hasegawa F/A-18 kits, F-15s (I know, not flown by Marines but maybe you can make some exceptions?). BTW, is there a reason, that you can share, that only 24 sets can be made every several weeks?

Edited by Mstor
1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I'm not surprised at all. Messing around with some of the PE HUDs supplied by kit manufacturers or aftermarket companies can be really trying, to put it lightly. Your new HUDs look like just what the doctor ordered. If you make more of these for other kits I think they'd sell well. Like the Hasegawa F/A-18 kits, F-15s (I know, not flown by Marines but maybe you can make some exceptions?). BTW, is there a reason, that you can share, that only 24 sets can be made every several weeks?

We plan on doing a whole series of HUD's for different aircraft. The only products that will always be Marine Corps specific will be the decals. The other lines, like our masks, vinyl detail sets, etc. will cover a much larger variety of subjects.

At the moment, the HUD's are produced by a good friend of ours. So we aren't pushing into his personal/business time, our agreement was 24 sets every few weeks with a one week lead time. However, we're about to purchase a 3D printer and will be producing them in house soon, along with a whole bunch of other stuff, mostly Ordnance related.  

Great news. I think this will be a welcome new product. I know I will be buying them, if available, for my builds. No more messing with PE HUDs or trying to cut the HUD glass from clear plastic sheets.

16 hours ago, scott_t said:

Looking forward to these in 1/32 Dave !

Me too! We hope to have the 32nd sets available by early next month.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:48 PM, Mstor said:

Great news. I think this will be a welcome new product. I know I will be buying them, if available, for my builds. No more messing with PE HUDs or trying to cut the HUD glass from clear plastic sheets.

We hope so. The response to the F/A-18 HUD was fantastic, so we hope the others we have planned will be just as welcomed.

In other news, I've been playing around with Fusion 360 and was able to create a Mk-82 500lb bomb body. In addition, I am in the process of using my GI Bill for CAD classes at Chattahoochee Tech to really get this stuff down. Lots of great things are planned for our line this year. 

Here is what I able to figure out with help from Richard VanZandt and watching Youtube videos! 😄

Mk-82-500lb-bomb.jpg

Mk-82-500lb-bomb-aft-end.jpg

I received my two Kinetic F/A-18 HUDs yesterday. Amazingly petite and well printed HUD frames, immaculately packaged inside a small jewelry box with the frame stuck to the side of the box with a piece of adhesive foam and the clear parts inserted into more foam in the middle of the small box. Then this little box is packaged in another box for shipping. I think it very unlikely that the post office will be able to mangle these (knock on wood). Touching the frames, they seem fairly sturdy, though I wouldn't want to subject them to undue stresses. In all I am very happy with the quality of this new product and look forward to using them and to Dave coming out with more. I think you have a winner with these Dave.

Mstor (or anyone else), how does one order one of these? I'm sorry to sound insistent, but nobody, including Dave, seems willing to post or send an answer. I emailed Dave several days ago, but have heard nothing back.

Thanks!

On 2/17/2020 at 11:37 PM, seawinder said:

Hi Dave. I emailed you inquiring how to go about ordering an F/A-18 HUD. Can you post that information?

Thanks!

Sorry about that, thought I had responded. Just sent you a reply.

1 hour ago, seawinder said:

Mstor (or anyone else), how does one order one of these? I'm sorry to sound insistent, but nobody, including Dave, seems willing to post or send an answer. I emailed Dave several days ago, but have heard nothing back.

Thanks!

I think Dave is probably swamped with requests. To request these new products you need to send Dave an e-mail telling you what and how many of the sets you want. He will get back to you with the cost, including shipping, and his PayPal e-mail. Remember, he said that there are only 24 sets available every few weeks. Though, as he stated above, he is investing in equipment and training to produce these himself.

How about some pitot tubes for the 1/48 V-22?

My 3D printer will be here Saturday and I'll be able to start producing items in house. 

Along with the V-22 Pitot tubes, FMV Mods for the AH-1Z in 1/48 and 1/35 scale are also coming.

V-22-Pitot-v6.jpg

FMV.jpg

9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Any chance you may delve into doing some FOD intake covers for an AH-1W? I've always wanted to do builds of aircraft that I have images of with them but no one makes any and I have no skills to do it myself.

Yes, that is one of the subjects that I would like to do (intake covers). The only thing slowing me down at the moment is my knowledge of the software. While I drew the pitot tube and FMV box above, it took several attempts, watching multiple videos on Youtube for hours and asking dozens of questions in a group on Facebook! I'm beginning to understand the tools more and will expand the product line as my skills improve.