Master Model 1/48 P-38 Armament Set Question

Hi All,

I have the Master Model AM-48-114 Armament (Cannon/Machine Gun) set for my 1/48 Tamiya P-38 F/G model, and the 'drilled out' cooling jackets for the MGs are beautifully done and really fabulous as replacements for the kit versions, which just use decals on plastic for those 'holes'.   However, I am perplexed by the additional barrels supplied in the Master model set.  There are 2 'non-holed' barrels, which I presume are options for the 20mm cannon, but there are 4 additional 'barrels', each of which appear to be the same length as the MG barrels, but the ends of those are solid brass, with the majority of the length between the ends being very thin brass, which does not appear to be broad enough, 'in scale', to be a gun barrel.  Does anyone have any idea what those 4 additional pieces are for, what they represent, and when would those be used?  Really curious.  I'm sure someone out there knows P-38s in and out, and knows what Master Model is/was trying to provide to us.

Thanks, in advance, for helping me figure this out before I go bonkers!  🙂 

The photos of the set on the Sprue Brothers web site show that they are the barrels.  The ends of the barrel are thick to anchor the ends of the cooling jacket, but the middle is thin so it looks like that is some distance between the cooling holes and the barrel.  Probably overdone to get the effect, but that’s pretty much how they are.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/masam48114.htm

I just finished using the set being asked about.  As Dave note, the extra 4 pieces are the barrels and slide into the jackets.  The larger end of the barrel part anchors against the jacket and provides the base for mounting.  If you look closely, you should see that the end of the barrel is bored out a bit.  Overall, it makes a nice effect.  HTH, Dave.

Wow, guys, I can't believe I was/am that stupid!!  Duh!!!  It's now obvious!  Well, live and learn, as they say 😞  Thanks a million for educating a dumb sh*t!  And to think, I used to run nuclear power plants...

Edited by Curt B

GO slowly when sliding the jacket over the barrel - ask me how I ruined one.  Those barrels are not too tolerant 'out of parameters'.  When properly put together a touch of Gators Grip holds the pieces together (on the non-exposed end).  Cheers