Announcement from Steel Beach Accessories

I've found life has ebbs and flows and different seasons. I've been doing Steel Beach for over 15 years now, and have enjoyed it greatly. I've viewed it as an extension of my hobby, not something to make a living off of. But I've reached a season in life where things are going to get quite hectic. I'm selling my house in a couple of months and have to clean everything up, which means stopping production. So, I've decided it's time to shutter Steel Beach. Maybe in the future when things settle down, I can re-evaluate the business. For now, it's time to focus on other things. To all of you who have supported me through these years, I really do mean it when I say your business was appreciated. Thank you! For those who were critical, I also want to thank you. You pushed me to make a better product and learn to improve. Unfortunately, my mediocre skills at scratchbuilding got in the way most of the time. For now, the plan is to cast until my current inventory of resin and/or other supplies run out. Thanks for 15 fun years. It has been a pleasure!

Cheers!

Darren

I'm glad your doing what needs to be done for you and yours. Don't put off till later stuff you want to do with your life. Sometimes later doesn't come or comes in a way you couldn't foresee.

Going to have to go through all your remaining stuff on SB and The48ers and grab some stuff before it disappears for good.  :hmmm:

Best wishes to you and your family in the future, no matter the path you choose. Your decision is a reminder to us all that our hobby is no where near the size of our real lives. The rewards of taking care of that life go beyond our days here and last longer than the impact of resin bits and Tomcat kits. 

And if if you bring the line back someday, it will be that much better with a renewed enthusiasm.   

Keep building, as I know you will. I look forward to seeing you again soon. 

Rick L. 

A loss to the aftermarket but this is a hobby and family should alway’s come first.

I have enjoyed using your resin to convert the models I’ve built, great subjects.

Thanks for your contribution to this hobby of ours.

Edited by Wafu

That's a serious downer Darren.

I'll miss seeing the new details that come out of that workshop.  The 1/48 and 1/32 US Navy parts really hit a niche that many others failed to tackle at a price for those of us who just like to build.  I'm pretty sure that my 15 Tamiya cats have at least 1 Steelbeach set to go with.

I hope things get settled and that you get the bug to start again all the sooner. 

-Peter

Edited by zerosystem

Sad to hear SB is shutting down, but I do understand life gets in the way!  Thanks for all your products alongs the way.  I was mainly paint masks and some decals for me along the way. Are you staying the KC area?

David

30 minutes ago, Djack said:

Sad to hear SB is shutting down, but I do understand life gets in the way!  Thanks for all your products alongs the way.  I was mainly paint masks and some decals for me along the way. Are you staying the KC area?

David

Staying put. The plan is to downsize with one in college and the other halfway through high school. We'll rent for a couple years until the second one goes to college, then look to buy a house. That frees us up and we don't have to stay in the school attendance area. I love KC too much to move away!

Darren, sorry to hear about SB but understandable when priorities shift or change.

I like how you've made products that were mostly overlooked and helped fill a void.

Best wishes on a safe and hectic free move.

-Gregg

Good luck with the move and we hope you come back to producing great resin products sometime in the future.

I literally just finished putting your ECM Blisters on my Revell Tomcat 5 minutes ago. Top notch stuff for sure!