Photo etch and resin

My question is let’s say I have  a Revell model (insert what ever plane you want) let’s say there is no photo etch or resin kits available, but for the Tamaya kit of the plane of the same scale there is a plethora of stuff for it. Now would those parts fit the Revell model or is it completely different tooling or just a marketing thing.  

Usually completely different, though sometimes you may be pleasantly surprised. Only ways to find out are to ask about specific aftermarket parts and the kit you want to use to see if anyone has tried the combo, or, just buy them yourself and see if they can be made to work.

Edited by Mstor

As @Mstor wrote, It Depends. First and foremost, how accurate are the two kits? One or both of them could have errors. Also, even if both are externally accurate, internal structures usually aren't due to significantly out-of-scale plastic thicknesses and different approaches to non-visible parts.

Consider this P-51 landing gear. Both kit manufacturers have the opportunity to get the struts correct. They would also have the opportunity to get the outline and structure of the door cover. But look at the door edge. On the Airfix kit, that part is 0.03 in, which works out 1.44 in. While both of your hypothetical kits would necessarily make similar compromises, the thicknesses chosen by Revell are most likely different from Tamiya. To be sure, this example wouldn't likely effect PE or resin. The more important differences would occur in internal structures, such as within fuselage and wings.

P-51-MLG.jpg.842405929ef5eb8f065235e955138495.jpg

As a more concrete example, I bought a firebomber conversion for a 1/48 TBF. I believe the resin conversion was intended for the AM kit. Unfortunately, the parts were over-sized for my Revellogram kit.

For the most part its much easier to fit those parts designed to fit the Tamiya kit to the Tamiya kit rather than any other kit as the are usually slight variations in scale, the way the parts fit together etc etc.

Thats not to say it would be impossible to fit those parts to a Revell kit but it would be much more difficult.

Another example of different decisions on non-visible parts. Here are the Quickboost exhausts for the Tamiya 1/48 P-51D (bottom) and the Airfix exhausts (top). First off, the visible part is different. I haven't looked to see which is (more) correct.

badangel-exhausts0.jpg

Here are the non-visible sides. Quite a bit different.

badangel-exhausts1.jpg

With a little fettling, the Airfix part fits in well

badangel-exhausts2.jpg

The part for the Tamiya kit would need some work to fit in and then more work to properly fill the space. Right now, I'm leaning to cleaning up and drilling out the exhausts on the Airfix part and leaving the Quickboost part for the Tamiya yet in the stash...

badangel-exhausts3.jpg