1 hour ago, polybebber said:

Didn't go there in months since it had nothing to do with a modelling forum anymore,

just one smartass talking politics, nothing modelling related anymore. So it was about

time it got shut down.

Aww comon, we're much more than just one smart@$$....give credit where credit is due..:thumbsup:

I admit, I'm WAAAAY guilty of going in and piling on. I don't know if that's a bad thing for me personally or if it's a good thing. I will say that it has helped me re-think my positions on certain things. And I don't mean necessarily change my believes, I think I am what I am..but rather how to converse my point of view and how the "other side" thinks. In some small doses I think that's healthy.

BUT annnnyway...no idea what's up with them. I suspect someone forgot to pay the light bill.

43 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Aww comon, we're much more than just one smart@$$....give credit where credit is due..:thumbsup:

I admit, I'm WAAAAY guilty of going in and piling on. I don't know if that's a bad thing for me personally or if it's a good thing. I will say that it has helped me re-think my positions on certain things. And I don't mean necessarily change my believes, I think I am what I am..but rather how to converse my point of view and how the "other side" thinks. In some small doses I think that's healthy.

BUT annnnyway...no idea what's up with them. I suspect someone forgot to pay the light bill.

Maybe I was a bit harsh with my original comment: I think it's a shame that Z5 has deteriorated into

just a forum dealing with politics. It used to be one of my favourite places to go for modelling related questions.

In the beginning there were loads of experts there - and I mean real experts - and no question was left 

unanswered with expertice. But sorry, in the end it wasn't a modelling forum anymore.

Lothar

Well, let’s hope it reopens and regains its prominence. It’d be a shame to think that all the modeling experts left because all the off-topic/overly-toxic posts were contained in that forum. I applauded and applaud their willingness to permit all views to be expressed by folks who self-moderate, no matter their viewpoint. It was quite novel at the time of their inception.

The whole concept at Z-5 was that you could pretty much say what you wanted without having to worry about your post and/or comments getting deleted by an admin or moderator. This was always meant to be that if you got into a disagreement with someone, or if a thread got heated, it would be allowed to run its course. 

Unfortunately, a handful of members took this to mean it was a free for all and could just post anything and everything they wanted. The constant off topic posts simply pushed several others away. I requested to have my entire profile removed months ago when it became obvious that 'Slackjack' and 'Junkman' had turned the forum into their own personal playground.

4 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

The constant off topic posts simply pushed several others away. I requested to have my entire profile removed months ago when it became obvious that 'Slackjack' and 'Junkman' had turned the forum into their own personal playground.

Did you confront them about that? Perhaps a “hey, you’re driving a wedge into the community” message or something would have been in order.

I understand what you're saying...but I don't see how the o-club section prevents other people from posting in the other sections if they found it useful. I have to admit I rarely posted modeling stuff of my own there because I don't build much aircraft very often and any other genres never seem to gather traction. And yes, I know if you don't post then you can't complain about noone posting. I get that. But I did enjoy reading post from the experts and learning about model making in general. But it slowly died. And I have to admit, I mainly go to see what Junk is up to and complaining about and to "vent" as it were. It's refreshing to be about to do that . I really do apologize if I had a part in the site's demise. I assure you there was no intention on my part. I LOVE the open format forums like that. It's what learning is all about.

3 minutes ago, Casual Builder said:

Did you confront them about that? Perhaps a “hey, you’re driving a wedge into the community” message or something would have been in order.

No, and here is why. Slack used to post a series of threads titled "The (insert topic) Thread". These were in addition to the number of other OT posts he would make. One day, I thought it would be nice to create a forum specifically for these threads as they did appear to be popular with many members. It would simply be a spot where all of those "thread" threads could easily be found without having to wade through all of the other O-club posts............Holy Hell, did I catch crap for that! I was accused of censoring, "wielding my power", blah, blah, blah. I'm thinking, "Dude, all I did was just move all of these types of posts into an easier to find forum of their own"!

It was after that I pretty much gave up, left the forum and never looked back. Like I said, several months later I asked one of the other Admin to just remove me completely. 

3 minutes ago, niart17 said:

I understand what you're saying...but I don't see how the o-club section prevents other people from posting in the other sections if they found it useful. I have to admit I rarely posted modeling stuff of my own there because I don't build much aircraft very often and any other genres never seem to gather traction. And yes, I know if you don't post then you can't complain about noone posting. I get that. But I did enjoy reading post from the experts and learning about model making in general. But it slowly died. And I have to admit, I mainly go to see what Junk is up to and complaining about and to "vent" as it were. It's refreshing to be about to do that . I really do apologize if I had a part in the site's demise. I assure you there was no intention on my part. I LOVE the open format forums like that. It's what learning is all about.

Because if you clicked on the "new posts for the day" (or whatever it was called) button, everything "new" was off topic. And yes, if you never posted modeling stuff and just went there to vent or see what Junk was up to, then you were part of the reason it went to crap. It can be gone forever or return, I really don't care either way. 

21 minutes ago, niart17 said:

That sums it up for me, too. 

Sad to see it go, if that’s the way it went. Sorry to have not been a booster when I should have, sorrier to have been a distraction if I shouldn’t have.

5 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

No, and here is why. Slack used to post a series of threads titled "The (insert topic) Thread". These were in addition to the number of other OT posts he would make. One day, I thought it would be nice to create a forum specifically for these threads as they did appear to be popular with many members. It would simply be a spot where all of those "thread" threads could easily be found without having to wade through all of the other O-club posts............Holy Hell, did I catch crap for that! I was accused of censoring, "wielding my power", blah, blah, blah. I'm thinking, "Dude, all I did was just move all of these types of posts into an easier to find forum of their own"!

It was after that I pretty much gave up, left the forum and never looked back. Like I said, several months later I asked one of the other Admin to just remove me completely. 

Best-laid plans aside, seems it might have been better to discuss it with someone before doing that, if you were actually trying to help. “Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance,” it seems that you didn’t attempt to have a conversation before doing what you did. Clearly, you weren’t being mean, but maybe you were being thoughtless? Never underestimate the power of a friendly conversation.

32 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Because if you clicked on the "new posts for the day" (or whatever it was called) button, everything "new" was off topic. And yes, if you never posted modeling stuff and just went there to vent or see what Junk was up to, then you were part of the reason it went to crap. It can be gone forever or return, I really don't care either way. 

I didn't say I NEVER posted modeling related. it's just the stuff I posted NEVER got replies. I'd attempted to get some real space happening and some Sci-fi etc...but It was a shadow boxing match so it became pointless. I still don't see how non-related stuff prevents people from enjoying the related stuff. I understand about the "see new threads" feature...but if there were that many people using the other threads...wouldn't that stay up new as well. If it truly were that useful, then it would stand on it's own would it not? The open forum concept is sound. It's just that you have to have the attitude of whether its worth having things you don't want there in order to have ALL the things you do want. 

10 minutes ago, niart17 said:

I still don't see how non-related stuff prevents people from enjoying the related stuff. I understand about the "see new threads" feature...but if there were that many people using the other threads...wouldn't that stay up new as well. If it truly were that useful, then it would stand on it's own would it not? 

I’d think that an “ignore forum” feature could help users home in on only what they’re interested in. 

Oh, well, Dave is over it. Doesn’t matter anymore.

As an afterthought, Zone-5 has been great in concept, though I am a casual builder of mostly propeller aircraft, cars, and some armour. Jets are neat, though not quite as interesting to me as a modeling subject. Ships are fine, almost anything is fair game for me, but it remains a casual hobby for me. As a homeowner, I have a lot of higher priority projects, so modeling winds up pretty low on my list.

My thoughts;

I don't think Slackjack and Junkman have taken over Z5, they don't post political crap outside of the O'Club, politics doesn't spill out in other threads so to say that Z5 has been taken over by those two and politics, I just don't see it.

There is a perception that Z5 has been taken over by politics, that a few individuals have take over, I challenge anyone (once the site is back up and running) to find a political thread outside of the O'Club or to find a non-modeling related post by Slackjack/Junkman outside of the O'Club.

So what happened, people left because they where scared to get caught up in some fake perception, and that's a shame. You don't have to post pics of your builds to participate, all you have to do is participate in a discussion. If you are afraid to post over there ask yourself this, is it because those crazy modeler's over there or am I too fragile?

Z5 is a great modeling website, you can say what you want without fear of the post being deleted or worse, being banned, something that no other modeling website practices. Z5 might not be a "popular" model site but I feel it is leaps and bounds above all other because it practices something that seems to be a foreign concept to a lot of folks, true freedom of speech.

MZ5GA

Just my 0.02$, YMMV

Does anyone post model subjects there anymore.  I check it once in a while.  All you ever see are the same post/pictures that are posted on all the other forums.  I never go to the oclub so I haven't seen anything controversial. (or original)

Geoff M

It seems to be working. I get what people are saying, I keep checking it but no one is posting about modeling. I looked last night and there really hasn't been any posts this year. There are areas there that I won't venture into, but I would guess they are the only areas still active.

I'll admit, I haven't been to Z5 in many months.  I kinda gave up on it when I'd check in to the "see new posts", and there be something like 10 or 15 posts since the last time I visited - which was at the time approximatly weekly.    It seemed the traffic just dried up, and what was being posted was of no interest to me.  I guess my interests just parted ways with the direction the site was going.