I’m sure this has been asked before but I could not find an answer.  I just ordered the set of Flory Washes (clay based), and hope they are everything they purport to be.  Posts in various forums seem to say they are as good as advertised.  I hope so, and we’ll see what happens when they get here from the U.K.   Does anyone know if there are any other clay based model wash products available here in the US?   I’m assuming they work well, but would like to find similar products made here in the US.  Any thoughts/experience  on this?

I haven't come across anything similar.  Flory washes are amazing, very easy to use.  They don't leave pooling marks and are easy to clean off (as long as the surface is gloss). Since Spruebrothers doesn't seem to carry them anymore I will have to restock directly from Flory.

Here's hoping that they last awhile.  I'm always afraid of finding a 'perfect' modeling item (tool, paint, etc.) that will eventually become unavailable, hence my concern about feeling too dependent upon one thing or other.  Of course, it seems, in the modeling hobby in particular, that so many things are available for only short time frames.  And, it's sometimes not even possible to 'stock up' on consumables such as paints (and washes) as many of them have a limited shelf life.  Ah...just another challenge in the life of a scale modeler!  

Regarding the Flory washes, I think I'm going to be far more judicious in placing the washes on my models.  When I see Flory doing his demonstrations, he slathers on the washes with abandon.  Of course he can...he made the stuff!  For the rest of us, I'm sure he's hoping we do the same, and thus need to buy lots more of his product sooner than later.  I guess it remains to be seen if the careful placing I'm planning on doing, to conserve the wash as much as possible, is something that can really be accomplished and if it's actually going to save more of the product than doing it the other way...

Edited by Curt B
12 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Flory been doing those washes 10 years or more.

His own website is always a good source that never dries up

Thanks for pointing that out!

On 2/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, Curt B said:

Here's hoping that they last awhile.  I'm always afraid of finding a 'perfect' modeling item (tool, paint, etc.) that will eventually become unavailable, hence my concern about feeling too dependent upon one thing or other.  Of course, it seems, in the modeling hobby in particular, that so many things are available for only short time frames.  And, it's sometimes not even possible to 'stock up' on consumables such as paints (and washes) as many of them have a limited shelf life.  Ah...just another challenge in the life of a scale modeler!  

I agree, I try to stock up supplies at least 20 models ahead to give me time to  find alternatives that work. I have started to use Tamiya panel line accent. It seems to work, but not as easy.

I tend to use quite a bit in each wash.  I have heard that airbrushing it on achieves more while using less, so I might have to try that.

5 hours ago, Camus272 said:

I agree, I try to stock up supplies at least 20 models ahead to give me time to  find alternatives that work. I have started to use Tamiya panel line accent. It seems to work, but not as easy.

I tend to use quite a bit in each wash.  I have heard that airbrushing it on achieves more while using less, so I might have to try that.

Like you, I’ve been using the Tamiya stuff for panel lines. It works well but does require a very heavy duty gloss coat before using it, and it does need to be removed in a pretty short time span.  I hope the Flory stuff is easier and lots more flexible.  

I understand the Flory clay wash PROBABLY has a long shelf life, so, despite the likelihood of a long availability, if it works for me as well as it seems to for others, I will definitely identify the 2 or 3 colors that are most likely best to use, on average, and buy 4-5 bottles of each color, just in case...  

Of course, with my luck, as soon as I do that, some US manufacturer will immediately start selling a miraculous panel line product that’s cheaper, better, and even easier to use...

Edited by Curt B

I've been using Flory's washes for years. I keep trying other washes, Ammo, AK, Tamiya., but keep coming back to Flory's for its performance and simplicity. I find, though, that for some purposes, pin washes like Tamiya's work better. Landing gear for instance. With all the crevises and difficult to reach areas, getting in and wiping away the Flory wash becomes troublesome. Pin washes work better for such areas.

I had some very old Flory wash that had gotten rather thick with age. I added some distilled water to thin it but then the surface tension increased to the point where it just beaded up on the surface of the model. Added a drop of dish soap and it was back to working perfectly.