Vickers Vanguard by Kevin Payne

A great build Kevin I have the same model,    but still in the box.   I wanted it in a TCA scheme (I flew in one Bermuda to Toronto),   but probably would've settle for BEA due to the painting.  I keep taking it out and looking at the kit and looking at the engines.   Put the engine mounts on foam board,  but could never get started casting.   A great job on the windows I'd have to settle on painted ones because I;d have sealed the fuselage before thinking of them.  

I originally cut each oval window out, then laid a flat piece of silicon you find on cake moulds over the outside of the fuselage to conform to the shape, then poured clear resin from the inside, at first I thought that this process would work, but a couple of hours afterwards I noticed air bubbles had formed in the windows, so allowed this to dry then broke them out. After much thought I decided in the end to cut rectangular strips out where the windows are and did the same process with the silicone, this allowed any air bubbles to form around the edge and not where the windows would be, then it was just cutting the oval shapes of the windows in Tamiya tape positioning them in the correct place and spraying over the windows with Primer, then the final coats, peeling of the masks at the end to reveal the windows

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, Outstanding work!  I too had the Gene Hooker Vanguard kit for several years and then sold it as I was very inlikely to build it (approx 20 years ago).  Oh well!  Though I kept my Airways Vac VC10 that I have been schlepping around since high school!  You have created a beautiful model from yours.  It ought to be displayed in a museum.  Very nicely done. K/r, Dutch