Spray paint post ww2 raf colours

Hi all looking for a little bit of help here. I dont have an air gun but have been using spray paints on my last few kits so this is now my preference to brush painting. Im looking to do a couple of phantoms one in the dark green/dark sea grey and the other in Barley grey/medium sea grey/light aircraft grey. 

I was wondering if i could get some recommendations for nearest matching spray paint colours.

For spray paint I can get Tamiya AS/TS colours, Mr colour, revell, humbrol and model master. 

Any help much appreciated thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do the same google search(es) I just did, you'll probably come to the same conclusion as I did: You may be able to find two or three of those colors in spray cans, but most of them are only produced in jar paint form. There is Tamiya AS-11 (Medium Sea Grey). Both AS-9 and AS-30 are labeled RAF Dark Green; others may know which is more accurate.

Mr. Color does good representations of Dark Sea Grey, Barley Grey and Light Aircraft Grey, but not in spray cans. Might be worth considering investing in an inexpensive airbrush?

Once the figure out the cost of a can of paint and how much coverage you get from one can compared to a jar of the same colour you will find that it doesnt take long before the cost of the spray cans while being much cheaper at the start gets increasingly smaller as time goes by until you get to the point investing in an airbrush and compressor becomes cheaper.

Or The law of diminishing returns.

Spray cans have their own set of faults not the least of which is there are limited colours released in them.

You can get a cheap and very useable airbrush and compressor for say £150, maybe even less than that, you might get a set for £80 all up.

The results you will get with it will beat spray cans at the start and KO them after you realise what an airbrush can really do.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
On 3/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Once the figure out the cost of a can of paint and how much coverage you get from one can compared to a jar of the same colour you will find that it doesnt take long before the cost of the spray cans while being much cheaper at the start gets increasingly smaller as time goes by until you get to the point investing in an airbrush and compressor becomes cheaper.

Or The law of diminishing returns.

Spray cans have their own set of faults not the least of which is there are limited colours released in them.

You can get a cheap and very useable airbrush and compressor for say £150, maybe even less than that, you might get a set for £80 all up.

The results you will get with it will beat spray cans at the start and KO them after you realise what an airbrush can really do.

Well i had been thinking about it for a while and now ive taken the plunge and bought a Revell airbrush for about £60 based on your recommendation!

Revell is a decent place to start.
Get some airbrush cleaner, you will need an old paint brush with short fairly stiff bristles to clean it out at the end of a session and some pipe cleaners.

When you come up to your first "problem" then I would tell you to look for Flory models on youtube.
There are hundreds of tutorials out there but his are most helpful as you will face the problems he shows you how to fix in just a few short steps.

Nothing you face in day to day use is all that much once you realise why its doing it.

Get some paint... Badger Stynlrez is a good place to start as its useful once you finish playing and it doesnt really need thinner to use it. Grab some cardboard boxes or something ike that and spray away.