Lacquer over Enamel? Okay?

Hi All,

Here's my situation.  I am working on painting my 1/48 Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat.  I am going to be doing the 'Cat Face' version.  I have painted the underside of the plane in Mr. Color C316, sort of an off white, lacquer paint.  I've brush painted the inside of the lower cowling with the C316, no reason to do that other than I thought red over white would be a good idea.  So, inside the cowling, where I brush painted the C316 (not very well, by the way), I decided that due to the good qualities of enamel paint when brush painting, I just got some Humbrol (enamel) red.  I've managed to brush paint the red over the white, with what appears to be success.  Unfortunately, I find that I need to do some touch up with the white over the red, and I'm wondering if I'll have any trouble with brush painting the off white lacquer over the red enamel.  Since the reverse appears to have gone okay, I'm guessing that the white over red will go fine, but I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with name over lacquer paint.  Am I going to be okay?  

I used Model Master clear lacquers, bottled versions of Glosscote & Dullcote, over Model Master enamels and other acrylics...when I was lost. To be sure, those were airbrushed.

Oh, and yeah, Mr Color isn't happy to be brush painted. Just sayin'...

Just make sure the enamel is fully cured, not just dry to the touch. Enamels can take a long time to fully cure. Having said that, I have used MM clear flat lacquer airbrushed over enamels without problem for years.

Edited by Mstor

I've got a Harrier Gr.7 with acrylics and enamels and lacquers over each other in every possible combination and it looks fine years later. You just have to make sure the undercoats are dry (really, really dry - for some enamel brands this might take months) before putting something different on top.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:42 AM, spejic said:

You just have to make sure the undercoats are dry (really, really dry - for some enamel brands this might take months) before putting something different on top.

I second that. 

I had an Airfix Spitfire with the undersurfaces painted with an enamel and then with an acrylic gloss varnish. Everything looked to be OK for weeks but, one day I turned the model to start applying the decals and then I saw it. Cracks all over!!! So I had to strip the colour, repaint, and let it dry for a very long time!