POLAR LIGHTS 1/32 STAR TREK TOS SHUTTLECRAFT

Recently got an email for the long-awaited Polar Lights 1/32 Shuttlecraft from the original series.  It will prove to be just the ticket for those who want to build the Galileo 7 on a hostile alien planet while revisiting Spock's logic versus Dr McCoy's humanism.  Or, possibly land it on an unnamed asteroid to meet Zefram Cochrane....or maybe pose it in front of the giant maw of the solid neutronium® hull of the planet killer.  It was featured in several episodes from "The Way To Eden" to "Journey To Babel" where Spock's parents are introduced with the shuttlecraft in the hangar bay in the background.

In any case, it promises to be a good candidate for some great dioramas or just by itself.  It's 12" long. 

Initial pre-order purchase price is $49.99 but with the caveat that the price is not fully finalized yet and buyers will be notified of the final price before shipping begins.  I pre-ordered one because I'm getting older and as I sit at my model-building bench at home, alone, I miss my childhood sometimes.

132 Polar Lights Shuttlecraft.jpg

132 Polar Lights Shuttlecraft 02.jpg

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

The actual "real" shuttlecraft used in the series was an adventure in "The interior being larger than the exterior" as was common for many shows of the era.  The original prop, now fully restored, was also very devoid of any actual detail.  The interior was uber-simplistic and consisted of two "navigation" globes/scanners, six or eight swiveling chairs and a rudimentary control panel that had very little visual interest. 

With all that said, I'm pretty sure that the kit will have aftermarket options later from whomever.  For the size, it's not out of line with what you get for the price, given that many Trek-o-philes have been clamoring for a kit of this item in this scale.   The design had to go through many revisions to be as accurate as possible while still being able to be outfitted with any interior items.  Naturally, this leaves it up to the individual builder at this point but I repeat that there will likely be some aftermarket or "co"-issued kit for the interior, maybe a light kit. 

Or, one could purchase Randy Cooper's 1/24 resin version for $300 + shipping.  https://randycoopermodelsdesign.squarespace.com/new-page

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

I absolutely understand that the interior set could not have fit into the exterior prop as seen on the show, unless the interior was reduced in scale, and that the real exterior prop didn’t have a lot of detail.  For that reason, I’m fine with it not coming with an interior.  But it still seems overpriced to me for an injection kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Galileo 7 episode today during my lunch break.  I've decided that I needed to go back through the series since I last saw them back in the mid 1970's.  I had forgotten how many advanced technology ideas were born on that show.

FYI, there is some great details of the Galileo for modelers in this episode.   I did notice as it was leaving the shuttle bay, the Columbus was parked there near it, but as they show the Galileo leaving from an outside view, the bay is empty.   Also, I had forgotten about it burning up, and was wondering why all I remember was Galileo II.  Good stuff for us nerds.