Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
dai phan

Is this the right move?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Ever since I got back to modelling after 25 years hiatus, I bought the entire Vallejo Model Air line thinking it is the best acrylic paints out there... Until I tried the Mr Color line on my latest project the Hasegawa F104. I am so impressed at the MC line that I am thinking converting all to MC line and use the existing Vallejos for interior painting. We are talking about 300 plus bottles of the MC line and I would like to know if this is a wise move. I am working with a dealer to get a good bulk discount. Thanks Dai 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thinking is that you should never go all-in with any one brand.  There will always be some colors that are better with one, and others better with the other... some that like being brush painted, and others that don't... some that play well with really fine detail, and others that don't, etc...    My philosophy with purchasing paint is to sort of purchase as I go and build an inventory with time.   I've got MRP (lacquer and water based), Mr.Color, Testors, Model Masters, Vallejo, Alclad II and Tamiya paints at the moment.  The last model I completed had some of all of those, along with artist grade oil paints and Molotow chrome.  

 

The way I see it, if you go all in and buy an entire line, you're going to end up having stuff you never even crack open... so it's sort of a waste of money and resources. 

 

You should at least try the MRP paints.  They are damn good, and have their own set of pros and cons over Mr Color.  

 

Just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a huge Mr Color fan. I completely agree that Mr Color is outstanding paint. And I really dislike airbrushing Vallejo. You should keep some water-soluble acrylic for brush painting as Mr Color hates to be brush painted!  I prefer The Army Painter Warpaint, but Vallejo would be ok.

 

My only question is your planned mass buy, unless you get a Really Good Deal. Buying paint as needed would ultimately cost more, but it would offer a better cash flow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the accumulate as you need approach.  I have some 1500 bottles of paint from various manufacturers that resulted from many years of kit and product reviews.  Some of them I've had for 30 years or more and probably 60% or more have never been opened.  A fair percentage of those probably are not any good if I needed them.  Even if you build commercially as I and others do, you will never be able to use a single manufacturer's line exclusively, even if you want to.  There's always going to be a specific color that you MUST have that is only made by another manufacturer.

 

Let's also not forget that the ever changing requirements of the EPA means that no one has any idea of what the shelf life of any paint will be.  And that includes acrylics.  I had an employee at Hobby Lobby tell me that they had paint go bad in the bottle before they could sell it!  That statement is especially true when it comes to enamels and lacquers.

 

Then there's the question of economics.  At a list price of $3.25 per bottle for Mr. Color, 300 bottles comes out to $975.00.  Even at wholesale, which is usually around less 40%, you're looking at $585.00 plus shipping.  Think of the models you can buy if you simply acquire the paint on an as needed basis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, BaconRaygun said:

My thinking is that you should never go all-in with any one brand.  There will always be some colors that are better with one, and others better with the other... some that like being brush painted, and others that don't... some that play well with really fine detail, and others that don't, etc...    My philosophy with purchasing paint is to sort of purchase as I go and build an inventory with time.   I've got MRP (lacquer and water based), Mr.Color, Testors, Model Masters, Vallejo, Alclad II and Tamiya paints at the moment.  The last model I completed had some of all of those, along with artist grade oil paints and Molotow chrome.

 

The way I see it, if you go all in and buy an entire line, you're going to end up having stuff you never even crack open... so it's sort of a waste of money and resources. 

 

You should at least try the MRP paints.  They are damn good, and have their own set of pros and cons over Mr Color. 

 

Just my opinion.

 

Reads like pretty good advice, from someone who has the experience to back-it up. I agree

with purchasing as you go and buying from different paint manufacturers. A good inventory

of different paints, can offer more opportunities for better results. Mr. Paint is a fabulous

product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the replies. I will buy the colors as needed instead of going all out. Dai 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me, enamels forever.

They only need one type of thinnr and airbrush cleaner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Me, enamels forever.

They only need one type of thinnr and airbrush cleaner.

 

I agree...almost.  Also lacquers.  And I will use acrylics for certain things where nothing else will work.  Problem is that the EPA will have more to say about that than we will.  They've already ruined Krylon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well

On 2/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, IPMSUSA2 said:

 

I agree...almost.  Also lacquers.  And I will use acrylics for certain things where nothing else will work.  Problem is that the EPA will have more to say about that than we will.  They've already ruined Krylon.

Well, unless the EPA completely bans those types of paint I cannot foresee having them come and inspect my man cave for "illegal" chemicals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hemspilot said:

Well

Well, unless the EPA completely bans those types of paint I cannot foresee having them come and inspect my man cave for "illegal" chemicals.

You won't have to worry about that...I think.  We just won't be able to buy the stuff unless a black  market develops.  Incidentally, in California...actually L.A...., lacquer is illegal.  The stuff cannot be shipped or sold over the counter to or in California.  I've also heard but can't confirm that they have sniffer trucks looking for automotive paint shops using illegal lacquer paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...