What is the best metallic paints out there?

I have not used Valejo as yet for a simple reason. My friends had a bunch of trouble with it. They are great modellers. They told me that it did not stick very well and lifted when masked over. He finally was able to finish what he was building but it fought him. The end results do look great though so Maybe the schemes with no masking might be okay?

I use Alclad 2 now and it is wonderful. Tough and no issues masking over it. Also don't dispel the Tamiya metallics in their spray cans. It is wonderful stuff and my go to for the first layer. I don't decant and simply spray from the can.

I haven't yet done any serious spraying of the AK Xtreme Metal paints, but based on the limited experience I have, plus the videos I have seen, tell me that they are probably the best out there. Years ago, Alcad was the only game in town.  Today, some folks who have used both say that the Alclad is still more delicate and fussy, whereas the AK can provide a good metallic coating even without the primer coat that Alclad requires.  I'm sure the Alclad devotees will say otherwise, but I plan to focus on the AK when the need for metal surfaces present themselves on my models.  By the way, I do have a set of the Alclad II paints also...haven't used them yet.

12 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Mr Metal Color are amazing. Some are buffable (e.g., Iron) and give an incredibly realistic shine to the surface. Vallejo cannot be buffed and have slightly larger pigments

I agree on the Mr. Metal Color.  I have several of those and they are amazing!

20 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Mr Metal Color are amazing. Some are buffable (e.g., Iron) and give an incredibly realistic shine to the surface. Vallejo cannot be buffed and have slightly larger pigments

I use Mr Metal Color Iron and after it dries, I buff it to an amazing metal-like appearance.

For airbrushing, Mr Paint is a favorite and can be addictive because its so easy to use.

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_category=1248&controller=category

Used Alclad for years. MRP metallics are similar but I find the density of pigments to be less, i.e. it takes more coats, but it still very good. I have some AK Extreme, but I haven't tried it yet. Still have some bottles of Model Master metallics, but those are very fragile once sprayed and won't take much handling or masking except for damp newsprint. I'll say this, we are certainly not lacking for choices.