1/48 Hasegawa F-16D Arctic Aggressor, 18 AGRS, 2008

Hi all!  

So I am just now getting to posting pics of a build I completed last month...    Anyway, here is my 1/48 Hasegawa F-16D Arctic Aggressor of the 18 AGRS at Eielson AFB, Alaska, 2008.   I have always loved this aggressor scheme, and modelling it in a two-seat F-16D variant seemed only right!

The Hasegawa F-16 kit is actually quite nice for it's age and very good fit.  It is a rather simple kit, not a huge amount of parts really and I enjoyed the build.  The F-16D kit I used is an older one, and did not have the correct "wide mouth" intake I needed, so I sourced that from a Hasegawa F-16CJ kit I have.  As far as aftermarket, I used a Black Box F-16D cockpit set, Master Model Pitot, the Hasegawa Weapons Set for the ACMI pod and Meng U.S. Weapons Set for the CATM-9.  The other sidewinder with no front fins (not sure what this one is called, TBH) is from the kit and just modified by removing the fins and rounding the nose substantially. As for decals, I was used Afterburner Decals Arctic Aggressors set.  I got really lucky finding that sheet at a local show for less than $10!  I have been very lucky finding rare decal sets at the Cleveland Model Show over the years. 

Other than that everything else is OOB.

Despite the ease of this kit it took me a long time (by my standards) to build due to modelling mojo loss and winter doldrums I suppose.  The finished product, while I am happy with it, is not my best work to be sure.  Cut a lot of corners and didn't put my usual effort into it.  

Here is what I used for this build:

Kit: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16D FIghting Falcon (06106 V6)

Decals: Afterburner Arctic Aggressors (48-034)

Aftermarket: Black Box F-16D Cockpit Set, Master Model Pitot, Hasegawa Weapons Set D (X48-8)

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (main aircraft primer base), Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat),   Mr Paint MRP-246 FS36628 Arctic Gray,  Gunze Aqueous H317 Dark Gull Gray and H305 Gunship Gray, Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Red, and Clear Green, Gunze Mr Color GX2 Gloss Black (gloss black primer for metalwork) and Alclad II Airframe Aluminum and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

Now on to the pics!

698191-16625-93.jpg

698190-16625-47.jpg

698192-16625-12.jpg

698193-16625-22.jpg

698194-16625-60.jpg

698198-16625-84.jpg

698201-16625-76.jpg

698204-16625-29.jpg

698205-16625-40.jpg

698209-16625-95.jpg

698210-16625-91.jpg

698212-16625-93.jpg

Aftermarket: Black Box F-16D Cockpit Set, Master Model Pitot, Hasegawa Weapons Set D (X48-8)

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (main aircraft primer base), Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat),   Mr Paint MRP-246 FS36628 Arctic Gray,  Gunze Aqueous H317 Dark Gull Gray and H305 Gunship Gray, Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Red, and Clear Green, Gunze Mr Color GX2 Gloss Black (gloss black primer for metalwork) and Alclad II Airframe Aluminum and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

Question?

The final coats for the finish was - Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat.

Was that 6:parts of Future to 1:part Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base?

On 2/21/2020 at 4:19 PM, caudleryan said:

Another top notch build! Don't sell yourself short. That is a stunning build by any means!

Thanks Ryan!  I appreciate the kind words!

On 2/21/2020 at 4:53 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Wow!  Another fantastic build Fighting Eighty-Four!   I love the artic aggressor scheme and you nailed it!

Thanks Falcon!   I really love this scheme as well, and don't usually see it done on the two seater.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:13 PM, Da SWO said:

Nice build.

The finless sidewinder is called an ACMI pod, Air Combat maneauvering Instrumentation Pod, IIRC.

It transmits all the data so you know who shot who.

Thanks Da Swo!  So the sidewinder with no front fins is also called an ACMI pod?  

22 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Very nice looking model, and superb application of paint and finish... job well done!

Thanks Underdog, I appreciate the compliment!

22 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Question?

The final coats for the finish was - Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat.

Was that 6:parts of Future to 1:part Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base?

Yep, that is correct!  You can adjust the amount of matte or gloss by changing the ratio.  I have found 6:1 works best for me.  I have found you don't really want to go below about 3:1 or you will get some frosting.

1 hour ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Yep, that is correct!  You can adjust the amount of matte or gloss by changing the ratio.  I have found 6:1 works best for me.  I have found you don't really want to go below about 3:1 or you will get some frosting.

Thanks for the feedback, I had to ask because of the ability of Future in applying a glossy

finish to the end-product. I guess the Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base is serious enough to provide

the desired results, after mixing the two products. Your F-16 model is proof positive, that

you had the correct mixture ratio at 6:1. Outstanding paint application!

12 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Thanks for the feedback, I had to ask because of the ability of Future in applying a glossy

finish to the end-product. I guess the Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base is serious enough to provide

the desired results, after mixing the two products. Your F-16 model is proof positive, that

you had the correct mixture ratio at 6:1. Outstanding paint application!

Thanks!  Yep, the XF-21 is very powerful stuff.  It's actually intended to be added to paints to make the finish flat, but in this case, mixed with future, it's very effective and cheap to make a fantastic variable matte/gloss finish.

11 hours ago, Whiskey said:

What do you use to measure out the ratios? 

So I make this in batches in an emptied Gunze Mr Surfacer jar, and use pipettes to get the ratio right.  I usually do 12 full pipettes of future and 2 full pipettes of flat base per batch, and that is enough to last me a half dozen 1/48 models or so.  I also add a pipette or two of Mr Color Levelling thinner to each batch.

41 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

So I make this in batches in an emptied Gunze Mr Surfacer jar, and use pipettes to get the ratio right.  I usually do 12 full pipettes of future and 2 full pipettes of flat base per batch, and that is enough to last me a half dozen 1/48 models or so.  I also add a pipette or two of Mr Color Levelling thinner to each batch.

Excellent! This reassures my inability to figure it on my own and really does boost my confidence to do it by a "proven" method.