AOA decals 1/72 low-viz A-6 Intruders & 1/48 HMM-264 Harriers (& more)

Three new recently announced decals sheets by AOA for Intruders, Harriers, Sea Knights, and Sea Stallions:

In 1/48, sheet 48-016 covers 26th MEU HMM-264 (Rein) from USS Bataan 2006-07. This is a slightly different release for AOA in multiple ways: there are multiple subjects on single release, in this case the AV-8B Night Attack, AV-8B Plus, CH-46E, & CH-53E. Sheet only includes the specific unique markings for each scheme, so kit decals will need to be used for the common markings. Also instructions will consist entirely of the actual photos, no illustrated profiles.

In 1/72, finally two packed low-viz A-6E Intruder sheets:

First one is long-delayed sheet 72-002 covering the three squadrons involved in the 1986 Libya strikes (VA-34, VA-55, VA-85) as well as two Desert Storm squadrons (VA-35 and VMA(AW)-533).

Second is sheet 72-010 covering VA-65 Tigers and VA-75 Sunday Punchers, primarily in Desert Storm but also one each from the 1980s.

$15 each - now in stock (May)

more info at www.AOAdecals.com

COVER-48016.jpg

48016.jpg

COVER-72002.jpg

72002.jpg

COVER-72010.jpg

72010.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

Been waiting for these!  Thanks for scaling them down. Been wanting to build a 1/72 A-6E from VA-55 for a while.  I had a teacher in middle school that was actually part of that unit during operation el dorado canyon. Does anyone know if there’s to much of a size difference between the Fujimi kit and the Italeri version?  I would look myself but my kits are still packed up from a recent move. 

also will these come with weapons load outs?

Edited by achterkirch
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 7:08 AM, polybebber said:

Yesssss, can't wait to get those A-6 decals. Will they be available only from your website or

will Hannants be another source?

Ya I'm sure they'll be available at Hannants, usually within a few weeks after release.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:10 PM, achterkirch said:

Been waiting for these!  Thanks for scaling them down. Been wanting to build a 1/72 A-6E from VA-55 for a while.  I had a teacher in middle school that was actually part of that unit during operation el dorado canyon. Does anyone know if there’s to much of a size difference between the Fujimi kit and the Italeri version?  I would look myself but my kits are still packed up from a recent move.

I don't have the Italeri kit but there's nothing really that is kit size critical with the VA-55 scheme.

No

The VA-34 option was subsequently changed from the initial file submitted and also an additional second option was added, both AB-502 and AB-513 directly took part in the strikes, turns out the original one included (AB-510) wasn't one of the strike aircraft so it was replaced by similar AB-513. Images above show the revised sheet/cover.

Originally it was a "no" but the new answer is "yes" (sort of).

There will be loadout info included for all the 1986 aircraft thanks to Jim Rotramel's research.

Edited by ziggyfoos
4 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

The VA-34 option was subsequently changed from the initial file submitted and also an additional second option was added, both AB-502 and AB-513 directly took part in the strikes, turns out the original one included (AB-510) wasn't one of the strike aircraft so it was replaced by similar AB-513. Images above show the revised sheet/cover.

Originally it was a "no" but the new answer is "yes" (sort of).

There will be loadout info included for all the 1986 aircraft thanks to Jim Rotramel's research.

Fantastic.  Good news.  Do you know about when these will be available?

Great looking markings!    I have photos I took at an airshow in, I think,  1987, of the 501 bird from VA-55.  It was really weathered but only had the Mig-23 ground strike marking, no boat strike.  

10 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

Great looking markings!    I have photos I took at an airshow in, I think,  1987, of the 501 bird from VA-55.  It was really weathered but only had the Mig-23 ground strike marking, no boat strike.  

Ya I noticed 501 sometimes had both markings and sometimes only the MiG like you saw, I didn't realize they were still carrying them into 1987.

Here's 501 that is stated as Jun 86 but only has the one marking? (Chewning was CO from Jun 86-Dec87)

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/150072/M/USA-Navy/Grumman-A-6E-Intruder-G-128/159317/

But this one even later in Oct 86 shows both (John Henson was CO in 1989 and this pic if dated correctly dates from the time of Chewning still as CO, so Chewning name should've still been there as the Jun 86 pic shows, although Henson was with VA-55 in 1986. Actually photos of 501 taken during the March strikes show it had misspelled John "Hensen" then so that was later corrected to "Henson" apparently).

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/43476/M/USA-Navy/Grumman-A-6E-Intruder-G-128/159317/

Other photos I've seen shown 501 having both. The other squadron appeared to have both as well (like 502, and obviously 503 on the decal sheet).

Not sure why 501's changes. Why didn't it have both markings already by the June photo and why take so long after Apr 86 to put the boat one (back?) on there. And if you saw it again in 1987 then for some reason the boat was removed (again?). Or perhaps the photo above stated from Oct may have been earlier than June 86 based on having two markings and not having Chewning name's on it as the CO?

Edited by ziggyfoos
added CO/dates

I wasn't certain of the date.  It could've been the summer of '86.   The name on the left side under the cockpit is 'CDR ROB WEBER' and under that 'CO' and to the right of that, the Mig ground kill marking. I tried posting a couple of photos,  but they were too large. 

7 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

I wasn't certain of the date.  It could've been the summer of '86.   The name on the left side under the cockpit is 'CDR ROB WEBER' and under that 'CO' and to the right of that, the Mig ground kill marking. I tried posting a couple of photos,  but they were too large. 

Interesting, with Weber the CO that would've placed it before late June 86 when Chewning became CO.

Edited by ziggyfoos
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work Steve. I love the multiple subjects on a single sheet. I always though this was the best approach as it covers more then one kit. I’ll grab one for sure. 

BTW, do you know there are not any decals on VA-128 A-6E Golden Intruders in low-viz markings from 80-90ies in 1/48 and 1/32. I have looked high and low and did not find any in these two scales. Food for thought.