New JASDF Transport Camo Colors

Does anyone know what the specific colors are for the new JASDF grey/blue camo scheme?

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/1042923/45-1074-japan-air-self-defence-force-jasdf-lockheed-c-130h-hercules-l-382

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/724788/68-1203-japan-air-self-defence-force-jasdf-kawasaki-c-2

I assume they are indigenous Japanese colors (i.e. NOT FS-Standard).  The overall light blue of the previous C-130 scheme was specified as S28-852, but the lower blue on this new scheme almost looks a touch paler...  Does anyone know of good color matches for these new colors?  I have the Gunze Mr. Color recommended mixes from the Aoshima C-2 kit instructions, but wanted to check to see if anyone had ventured to try to match them from other paint lines...

Thanks!

• 757flyer changed the title to New JASDF Transport Camo Colors
On 2/23/2020 at 12:03 AM, JackMan said:

Maybe the upcoming Hasegawa kit might have the colors:

Yeah, I am sure Hasegawa will have their own mix as well.  Trying to get a project in a different scale finished up and released before the Hasey kit comes out.

The interesting thing is that on the C-2s, the colors can look like they are all pure grays in some photos, and have distinct blue and purple hues to them in others.  I know photos will always have variations in colors, but the C-2 photos really cover a wide spectrum of differences.  The photos I have seen of the C-130 in the scheme (45-1074) pretty uniformly show the blue/purple tint.  The Aoshima kit does list the addition of Cobalt Blue to each color's mix.

Mike

Oh well, I guess gone are the days of mixing your own paints.

Think how much money you would save not having to buy every single tintlet for any different subtle variation of color.

I am looking at the countless pages of forums just to argue what are the correct shades for a Su-33, new, after two days under the sun, after three weeks under the sun but on a rainy day, if it was in the Caribbeans or homeported in Murmansk.

And it's the same for every other project out there.

Just look at the pictures and mix your own paints already, and if you are color blind it can be downright spectacular and you would not know the difference anyway.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, 757flyer said:

Yeah, I am sure Hasegawa will have their own mix as well.  Trying to get a project in a different scale finished up and released before the Hasey kit comes out.

The interesting thing is that on the C-2s, the colors can look like they are all pure grays in some photos, and have distinct blue and purple hues to them in others.  I know photos will always have variations in colors, but the C-2 photos really cover a wide spectrum of differences.  The photos I have seen of the C-130 in the scheme (45-1074) pretty uniformly show the blue/purple tint.  The Aoshima kit does list the addition of Cobalt Blue to each color's mix.

Mike

Define "Cobalt Blue".

There are at least 10 different shades of cobalt blue at your arts and crafts store.

8 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Define "Cobalt Blue".

There are at least 10 different shades of cobalt blue at your arts and crafts store.

The Aoshima guide calls for Mr.Color #80 - Cobalt Blue

• 11 months later...

RedArrow,  many thanks for the Japan MOD paint chart.  That Aoshima C-2 guide is the one I had mentioned in the original post, and was the only one I had access to at the time.  So those are the formulations you will see recommended in the instructions for the decal set I was working on.  The subsequent Hasegawa kit instructions for the C-130 in the new colors utilized different Mr Color color mixes.  The Zvezda 1/72 C-130H kit lists straight (non-mixed) Tamiya colors, though I haven't looked yet to see if those are better/closer recommendations.   

The follow-up question now is what color is used for the JMSDF C-130Rs?  The Hasegawa kit instructions call for a mix of Light Blue (20) and US Navy Aircraft Gray (73)...

16 hours ago, 757flyer said:

That Aoshima C-2 guide is the one I had mentioned in the original post

Sorry about that - that'll teach me not to just skim through the opening posts!

I'll try and dig up the Japanese colour numbers for the current transport scheme - but it may take a little time.

In the meantime - if not already seen, here is some info regarding S28-852.

The RGB values for S28-852 are 141, 179, 206 and the HEX code is #8DB3CE. The LRV for Japan S28-852 is 42.46.

If you're in the US, you can buy a tin/spray can of S28-852 from this lot: https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint/55826-japan-s28-852 (if I can find the correct colours for the current multi-shade scheme - and if they're from the same standard - perhaps the myperfectcolor folks can produce small amounts for you as well).

S28-852, with a Munsell colour notation (from here: https://www.mixing-colors.jp/?pid=30357976)

30357976.jpg?20141001115226

And - as if proof were needed that one computerised colour chip can never be the same as another (from here: https://paint-color.net/product-tag/s28-852/)

s28-852.gif

Hopefully, I'll be able to find the correct numbers/names for the current scheme soonish!