Mr Color Gloss Coat Considerations?

Hello all

I am ready to apply the MC Gloss coat for the first time and I would like to know if there are any differences/considerations from the regular MC paints that I use on my latest build? I thin at 2x thinner/1x paint and spray at 15 PSI. I just love how MC just sprayed so well and gives smooth thin coats. I thought Vallejo Model Air was the king till I tried the MC line. So far very impressed. Thanks Dai 5eydnF5.jpg

Edited by dai phan
28 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

I usually go 3:1 thinner to Super Clear III, and build it up slowly.  The final coat I spray is a flash coat of 100% Mr Leveling Thinner to really make sure the finish is even.  It is a fantastic clear!

The last coat is a very light coat of Leveling Thinner? Also is this gloss coat sandable if you make a mistake? Dai 

I thin a lot--to about 1% milk consistency. But, I also wonder how you sprayed it?

I spray all Mr Color, well, all paints, with: 1% milk consistency; 15 psi; 0.25-1.75 inches. Always make sure the paint is wet when it hits the surface. Use a glancing light to watch this while you're doing it. Thin coats to get coverage and then a final wet gloss coat. I use a 0.5mm nozzle for primer (thinned Mr Surfacer 1200), base coats, and clear coats. 

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

It orange peeled badly?   I wonder if your pressure is too low or if you sprayed too far away- sounds like the paint dried before hitting the model.  You shouldn’t have to thin It III 5:1 🤔

I spray at 15PSI and 1-2 inches of the model. The paint came out thick and orange peel. Just horrible. Dai 

5 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I thin a lot--to about 1% milk consistency. But, I also wonder how you sprayed it?

I spray all Mr Color, well, all paints, with: 1% milk consistency; 15 psi; 0.25-1.75 inches. Always make sure the paint is wet when it hits the surface. Use a glancing light to watch this while you're doing it. Thin coats to get coverage and then a final wet gloss coat. I use a 0.5mm nozzle for primer (thinned Mr Surfacer 1200), base coats, and clear coats. 

After I thin it 5-8 times thinner it came out beautifully like the colors. 3/1 is way too thick like maple syrup. 2 inches away. 15 psi with Iwata .2 mm nozzle. Dai 

8 minutes ago, dai phan said:

After I thin it 5-8 times thinner it came out beautifully like the colors. 3/1 is way too thick like maple syrup. 2 inches away. 15 psi with Iwata .2 mm nozzle. Dai 

I find Mr Color consistency can vary. Older paints are thicker. Mr Surfacer is most certainly thicker. That's why I thin to a consistency, not by a ratio.

Also, there's a Replenishing Agent for Mr Color, which reconstitutes thicker paint by replacing volatile compounds. It's supposed to be better than just adding more thinner. I've started use this when I open an older bottle.

Your experience is interesting - i definitely don’t get a maple syrup at three to one.   I thin Mr Color gloss just like any of their other colors at the same ratio with excellent results.   I do check consistency for sure and go for something along the lines of skim milk.   Airbrushing is certainly one of the dark arts, and sometimes it’s tough to know why something works for one person and not another 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Falconxlvi
1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Also, there's a Replenishing Agent for Mr Color, which reconstitutes thicker paint by replacing volatile compounds. It's supposed to be better than just adding more thinner. I've started use this when I open an older bottle.

This stuff is great. You can actually restore dried paint in the bottle. Just add the Replenishing agent and let it sit. It will soften the dried paint and then you can add more until you get the regular paint consistency. Its great for older bottles of paint or Surfacer that have gotten very thick. Just add some and stir well and the paint is back to like new. A must have if you use Mr Color paints.

Edited by Mstor
On 2/29/2020 at 2:49 AM, dnl42 said:

I find Mr Color consistency can vary. Older paints are thicker. Mr Surfacer is most certainly thicker. That's why I thin to a consistency, not by a ratio.

Consistency depends on how sealed the paint was and type of pigments.

But you must use Replenishing Agent with caution, max ratio is 10% otherwise it will make your kit plastic brittle.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:31 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Your experience is interesting - i definitely don’t get a maple syrup at three to one.   I thin Mr Color gloss just like any of their other colors at the same ratio with excellent results.   I do check consistency for sure and go for something along the lines of skim milk.   Airbrushing is certainly one of the dark arts, and sometimes it’s tough to know why something works for one person and not another 🤷‍♂️

It depends on how and at which pressure you used your airbrush.

Some people litteraly shotgun the paint.

In reality, you can really thin Mr Color paints a lot and use very low pressure without problem.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:47 AM, Mstor said:

This stuff is great. You can actually restore dried paint in the bottle. Just add the Replenishing agent and let it sit. It will soften the dried paint and then you can add more until you get the regular paint consistency. Its great for older bottles of paint or Surfacer that have gotten very thick. Just add some and stir well and the paint is back to like new. A must have if you use Mr Color paints.

The fact you can revive dried Mr Color paints is one of the reason I love this paint brand.

Edited by shion
1 hour ago, shion said:

Consistency depends on how sealed the paint was and type of pigments.

But you must use Replenishing Agent with caution, max ratio is 10% otherwise it will your kit plastic.

It depends on how and at which pressure you used your airbrush.

Some people litteraly shotgun the paint.

In reality, you can really thin Mr Color paints a lot and use very low pressure without problem.

The fact you can revive dried Mr Color paints is one of the reason I love this paint brand.

Agree 100% with Shion. The thing I love the most about Mr Color (besides being a fantastic paint) is that it is 1/3 the cost of MRP for me.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:24 PM, dai phan said:

I spray at 15PSI and 1-2 inches of the model. The paint came out thick and orange peel. Just horrible. Dai 

First time I used SC that's the result I got. After much thinking I realized that I was pouring the clear first  into the airbrush (I use gravity feed type) and thinner second. The clear is more dense so even after a good stir part of the clear stayed on the bottom. My solution: mix the clear (or any Mr. Color paint for the matter) and thinner in a separate container and then pur in the airbrush. This technique also apply when using thick clears like Tamiya's.  Hope this help.

1 hour ago, nachjager said:

First time I used SC that's the result I got. After much thinking I realized that I was pouring the clear first  into the airbrush (I use gravity feed type) and thinner second. The clear is more dense so even after a good stir part of the clear stayed on the bottom. My solution: mix the clear (or any Mr. Color paint for the matter) and thinner in a separate container and then pur in the airbrush. This technique also apply when using thick clears like Tamiya's.  Hope this help.

I pour well mixed clear (with a shaker) then pour into the container. Then the leveling thinner. Then the whole thing is mixed with shaker then pipette into the AB. I need to thin 5/1 in order to get a smooth finish. Dai