I found this photo in the Sikorsky Archives, and was curious about the Coast Guard S-76 in the back corner.  Did Sikorsky actually fly one in USCG colors, or was one just painted for PR purposes?

(Source: https://www.sikorskyarchives.com/S-72 (RSRA) F.php)

Are there any other photos of that S-76 in USCG colors?  A web search turned up empty...

Thanks

S72 Pair Small.jpg

I think that is a mock-up.  I say this for two reasons.  It does not depict a production S-76.  The tail boom of the aircraft in question is wrong.  It has a straight bottom and the top rakes downward to the rear, while the S-76 tailboom has a staight top and the bottom rakes up to the rear.  Also the vertical tail fin extends well above the tail rotor attachment point.  The cabin and engine / rotor housing do appear to be from a S-76.  The S-76 was developed about the time of the SRR contract to replace the S-62/H-52 Seaguard, (which was won by the Aerspatilae AS-365/H-65 Dolphin.)  So this may have been one proposal for that contract.  The MRR replacement contract to replace the HH-3F Pelican came much later, (which was won by the S-70/HH-60J.)  Interesting!  

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...

Dutch hit it head on there with the differences. But I am blown away I never knew there was an S-76 USCG bird... even if it was a mock-up! I grew up seeing S-76's and to this date is probably one of my top helicopters. Even to this day I can still differentiate the pitch of the rotors from far out. Most of the Life Flights around here now are EC-145 or AS-365's theres still one  S-76 operator left though. Sorry got off topic lol

Yes, I love artist impressions, especially the company sales advertisements.  This one for an ASW version of the HRB-1 Sea Knight still makes me chuckle.  Circa 1961.

001.JPG.352a1942a6a088a906230411d3018368.JPG

With rotors stopped, and pretty good seas!  I  don't think so!  That's why dipping sonars were invented.  Plus, the uncool factor!  I can hear the pilots now; "You'll never catch me flying that thing!"

Edited by Dutch

Great picture, like you I love manufacturer ads, always a fun part of Aviation Week and Air Force magazines.

Notice the S2F behind the helicopter.

I wonder if the sponsons on the Sea Knight are more than just dipping sonar? They look awfully large.

Also, IIRC, the dipping units were in service before 1961.

Edited by JohnEB
Add info.