Heyo all,

I am looking for some help.  I am working on a dc-3 and c-47.  I have painted the D-Day markings on the fuselage.  I am ready to apply the fuselage decals and wat to spray white behind them to prevent bleed through. I have cut the appropriate  sized masks out of the wide Tamiya tape,  but I have stalled here. When I apply it to the fuselage the tape crinkles and distorts.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this issue on the compound curve here.

Thanks, Dave.  

Two possibilities:

1) Cut a thin strip of Tamiya tape that can curve as needed. Put a wider strip atop that to extend the masking.

2) Use a more flexible "pin-striping" tape, which includes a vinyl Tamiya tape, as above. This will be better able to follow the curve while being a little wider. You will still want to put a wider strip atop to extend the masking.

The point of the thin tape is to follow the curve. The wider tape you put atop won't need to follow as drastic a curve.

HTH

-- 

dnl

I would lay the masks you cut in the area where they will go. In the area where they wrinkle I would try to cut some slits or wedges in them to allow them to adapt better. You can make any patches as needed with some more tape,

If they are circular you could also cut a circle of the correct size and extend that with a larger circle to get a "ring" of tape. That might adapt better.

Or you could double up on the decals.

HTH

Bob

On 2/26/2020 at 4:25 AM, Bob Beary said:

I would lay the masks you cut in the area where they will go. In the area where they wrinkle I would try to cut some slits or wedges in them to allow them to adapt better. You can make any patches as needed with some more tape,

If they are circular you could also cut a circle of the correct size and extend that with a larger circle to get a "ring" of tape. That might adapt better.

Or you could double up on the decals.

HTH

Bob

I absolutely agree with you.

Edited by Nwameran