USAF UH-1N kit options?

Looking to build one of these for my son, who spent time in ND getting very familiar with them as part of his MOS. I've seen some good pics of the actual a/c and visited his base more than once while he was there but I'm just not sure which kit (1/48 or larger) would do it justice. 

Suggestions welcome. 

Jeff

19 hours ago, jatuttle said:

Looking to build one of these for my son, who spent time in ND getting very familiar with them as part of his MOS. I've seen some good pics of the actual a/c and visited his base more than once while he was there but I'm just not sure which kit (1/48 or larger) would do it justice. 

Suggestions welcome. 

Jeff

20 years ago, I was very familiar with the ones in Montana.  What's your son's AFSC?

24 minutes ago, Reddog-03 said:

I've got a lot of good photos of Malmstrom AFB birds from '99-'02 if they're of any use to you.

Sure, I figure things with those birds haven't changed a whole lot thru the years. He was up north from 15-18. You can pm them if u want. 

Jeff

For a very short while in the late '70s-early 80s, they had a great gray/white scheme...like the Japan-based USAF ship shown in a 1/72 Tamiya kit..but some U.S. based aircraft assigned to rescue had yellow rescue bands and the blue "Rescue" tail band. A great look.

This was after the three tone SEA colors and before the "Euro One" scheme.

Does anyone make decals on 48th?..I think my kit is in 48th?

17 minutes ago, JohnEB said:

For a very short while in the late '70s-early 80s, they had a great gray/white scheme...like the Japan-based USAF ship shown in a 1/72 Tamiya kit..but some U.S. based aircraft assigned to rescue had yellow rescue bands and the blue "Rescue" tail band. A great look.

Still in those markings in recent years.

120315-F-NW635-141.JPG

2 hours ago, JohnEB said:

Does anyone make decals on 48th?..I think my kit is in 48th?

uh-1n_68-10775.jpg

Not quite. Here is 68-10775 in the high-vis ARRS scheme. Most of the H-1s with this scheme were either the UH-1Fs or HH-1Hs assigned to SAC. The SEA and the high-vis scheme ran concurrently during the time frame you specified.

I figure things with those birds haven't changed a whole lot thru the years

There are a couple extra antennas but other than the FLIR not much is externally different. Internally the instrument panel has changed bit but is still mostly steam gauges. 

31 minutes ago, Clinstone said:

uh-1n_68-10775.jpg

Not quite. Here is 68-10775 in the high-vis ARRS scheme. Most of the H-1s with this scheme were either the UH-1Fs or HH-1Hs assigned to SAC. The SEA and the high-vis scheme ran concurrently during the time frame you specified.

I agree, while one usually saw that scheme in Fs and the few (30)Hs procured, some Ns have the scheme as I described.

I had direct personal experience with the Fairchild ships that support the Survival School, also I know some of the Ns based at Edwards had that scheme well into the '80s....The Air Force put out a print from the Air Force Art Program of an AFFTC N supporting a Space Shuttle landing.

I bet the Yakota ship keeps that scheme to make it less "combat" looking...A factor in some overseas base treaty negotiations...remember the two or three tone Gray camo sported by UK-based U-2s in the 80s? Same deal, to placate the locals.

Edited by JohnEB

For those who get a yellow 'Helis.com' box instead of a picture, the one above for 10775 originates on Flickr - captioned as 41 RWRW / Det. 18, Nellis AFB, Oct. 1978, it looks to be overall grey:

6947398127_81fb23dde0_b.jpg

Edited by andyf117