Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Curt B

Best 1/48 MiG-25?

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I know there are several MiG-25 models out there, and I’ve read some reviews, but I’ve not yet come upon any that definitively give an opinion about which is ‘best’. I also know there are lots of ways to define ‘best’, but for me, best is a combination of accuracy and fit.  I believe that the overall ‘best’ is either the Kittyhawk or the ICM, but maybe there is something better than either of these.  I’m not concerned about a particular version of the MiG-25.  So, anyone want to help me, here?   And, can you also give me any thoughts you may have about any aftermarket stuff, photo etch or resin, etc.?   Thanks in advance, guys.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AMK said they were going to release one.  Based on their MiG 31, I'd hold out for that kit. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Hi all,

 

I know there are several MiG-25 models out there, and I’ve read some reviews, but I’ve not yet come upon any that definitively give an opinion about which is ‘best’. I also know there are lots of ways to define ‘best’, but for me, best is a combination of accuracy and fit.  I believe that the overall ‘best’ is either the Kittyhawk or the ICM, but maybe there is something better than either of these.  I’m not concerned about a particular version of the MiG-25.  So, anyone want to help me, here?   And, can you also give me any thoughts you may have about any aftermarket stuff, photo etch or resin, etc.?   Thanks in advance, guys.  

KittyHawk MiG-25 is absolutely terrible accuracy wise. Not entirely sure about buildwise, but going by other of their models, it is probably meh at best. Go for ICM, PD/PDS are fighter/interceptor variants, RX(X) are recon, hands down the best available MiG-25 kits at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, okthree said:

AMK said they were going to release one.  Based on their MiG 31, I'd hold out for that kit. 🤣

 

2 hours ago, Berkut said:

KittyHawk MiG-25 is absolutely terrible accuracy wise. Not entirely sure about buildwise, but going by other of their models, it is probably meh at best. Go for ICM, PD/PDS are fighter/interceptor variants, RX(X) are recon, hands down the best available MiG-25 kits at the moment.

 

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.  I’m not in any hurry to get a MiG-25, so, if there is the possibility of a new tooled kit on the horizon, even though it’s by AMK, I’m likely to wait.  I have the AMK MiG-31 and the AMK F-14D, so one ‘grand slam’ and one ‘ground out to the shortstop’, to use a baseball analogy, makes it worthwhile to see what they come up with.  

Edited by Curt B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go ICM (also reboxed by Revell).  The KH kit has a number of issues, not the least of which is the giant intakes leading into a big empty fuselage, which KH tries to hide by including MiG-29 style intake doors that the Foxbat didn’t have. Given how long it took to release the F-14, as well as the surrounding drama, who knows if/when AMK will release one.  I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 9:51 AM, Dave Williams said:

Go ICM (also reboxed by Revell).  The KH kit has a number of issues, not the least of which is the giant intakes leading into a big empty fuselage, which KH tries to hide by including MiG-29 style intake doors that the Foxbat didn’t have. Given how long it took to release the F-14, as well as the surrounding drama, who knows if/when AMK will release one.  I wouldn’t hold my breath.

 

Good point.  The AMK version may never materialize.  If/when I build all the 100+ models I already have, and I’m in the market for a ‘25, we’ll see what kit is best.

 

Actually....I’m sure I'm going to want to do a MiG-25 sooner than that, and this thread gives me a direction to go!

Edited by Curt B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Go ICM (also reboxed by Revell).  The KH kit has a number of issues, not the least of which is the giant intakes leading into a big empty fuselage, which KH tries to hide by including MiG-29 style intake doors that the Foxbat didn’t have. Given how long it took to release the F-14, as well as the surrounding drama, who knows if/when AMK will release one.  I wouldn’t hold my breath.

100% agree with everything you say.  Sometimes the Revell boxing is more expensive than the ICM original kit itself, so shop around.  Also make sure which version you want.  I like the interceptor version, which is the MiG-25PD.  That one is sometimes a bit harder to find.

Edited by Jonathan S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

100% agree with everything you say.  Sometimes the Revell boxing is more expensive than the ICM original kit itself, so shop around.  Also make sure which version you want.  I like the interceptor version, which is the MiG-25PD.  That one is sometimes a bit harder to find.

ICM kits are not common my way, but Revell is. I found the Revell price slightly cheaper ( not much) than Spru Brothers even though I bought it locally.

gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Revell only reboxed the RBT version.  The other boxings like the PD, RB, RBF, and BM, I’ve only seen in ICM boxes.  One advantage to the Revell RBT was that they corrected the nose.  I don’t know if subsequent reissues of the ICM kit used the new nose.

 

Also forgot to mention that the KH MiG-25 PD/PDS has the wrong exhausts.  The interceptor used different engines than the recon/bomber versions, and the difference is visible in the exhausts.

Edited by Dave Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, okthree said:

AMK said they were going to release one.  Based on their MiG 31, I'd hold out for that kit. 🤣


LOL based off the F-14 im sure id rather just give my money to ICM..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26 February 2020 at 10:27 PM, Dave Williams said:

I think Revell only reboxed the RBT version.  The other boxings like the PD, RB, RBF, and BM, I’ve only seen in ICM boxes.  One advantage to the Revell RBT was that they corrected the nose.  I don’t know if subsequent reissues of the ICM kit used the new nose.

 

Also forgot to mention that the KH MiG-25 PD/PDS has the wrong exhausts.  The interceptor used different engines than the recon/bomber versions, and the difference is visible in the exhausts.

 

Totally agree. ICM have revised the RBT moulds with the chunkier single nose Doppler bulge, as introduced on the Revell boxing.

The RB boxing has both nose types, the original being transferred to a new little sprue with RB-specific intake and dragchute door parts. 

The RBF boxing has a revised nose for that variant, and the BM SEAD variant ditto. 

 

Specifically for the ICM Foxbats, UMM make scale size inlets and fan fronts (cf the ICM trompe l'oeil undersize fans), ResKit some stonking exhausts (short PD/PDS interceptor and long RB— recce types) and Aerocraft will be releasing bronze legs. 

But the ICM series is very good OOB. The only improvement I can think of would be a proper interior camera tray with sensors on the RBT (which Kitty Hawk have done on theirs, IIRC)

 

Tony 

Edited by tony.t
extra words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tony.t said:

Specifically for the ICM Foxbats, UMM make scale size inlets and fan fronts

 

I think you mean XMM :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thanks guys.  All that aftermarket stuff plus the ICM MiG-25PD looks like the way to go!  Any idea on the time frame for the bronze landing gear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mstor said:

 

I think you mean XMM :thumbsup:

 

Yes, XMM. I bought two sets and they're great. 

 

23 hours ago, Curt B said:

Wow, thanks guys.  All that aftermarket stuff plus the ICM MiG-25PD looks like the way to go!  Any idea on the time frame for the bronze landing gear?

 

Ali's indicated an interest in releasing these this Spring. You'll need to wait till it comes up on the Aerocraft site.

 

Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tony.t said:

 

Yes, XMM. I bought two sets and they're great. 

 

 

Ali's indicated an interest in releasing these this Spring. You'll need to wait till it comes up on the Aerocraft site.

 

Tony 

 

Tony... Is Aerocraft known for making accurate stuff?  Can I expect that their bronze landing gear will be as good, or better, in terms of accuracy, than the ICM kit landing gear?  What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Curt B said:

 

Tony... Is Aerocraft known for making accurate stuff?  Can I expect that their bronze landing gear will be as good, or better, in terms of accuracy, than the ICM kit landing gear?  What do you think?

 

AFAIK they're based on the already accurate but weak ICM kit parts. I asked if wheel locating pins could be added to replace the silly cones on the kit legs, but the parts are otherwise likely to have the same gait as the kit ones. If anyone has an issue with that they ought to drop a line to Aerocraft requesting a heavier loaded look.

 

Tony 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the ICM MiG-25PD, plus the XXM Intake/Inlets and the ResKit PD/PDS exhausts, plus an Eduard cockpit interior set.  This sounded like the best combo of kit/aftermarket stuff, per this thread.  Hoping it turns out well.  I have yet to build a jet model, and MAYBE this will be my first one, despite the long list of those I already have. 

 

I'll wait and see if the bronze landing gear comes out and whether I think I need it.

Edited by Curt B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going to build the ICM kit, there are some issues with how the front fuselage joins to the rear. I've tried to document some of my experience in building the kit here: https://jonbryon.com/icm-1-48-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-25pds-foxbat-e/

 

It is a really great kit though and if I had time, I'd be getting a recon version.

 

Jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jonbryon said:

If you're going to build the ICM kit, there are some issues with how the front fuselage joins to the rear. I've tried to document some of my experience in building the kit here: https://jonbryon.com/icm-1-48-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-25pds-foxbat-e/

 

It is a really great kit though and if I had time, I'd be getting a recon version.

 

Jon

 

Thanks, Jon, and I'll be sure to review your article when it comes time to build my ICM MiG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1:48 ICM MiG-25 is the prefer kit, but I think it has a few short comings such as the rear landing gear is too weak, and the ending has a cone shape which made the wheels end up with a negative camber as in most builts you saw online (it's a simple fix with Tamiya polyester putty to make it a cylindrical end).  I already have the UpWind 1:48 landing gear to replace the kit ones, but will keep an eye on the bronze landing gear made by Aerocraft to see how those two compare.  Also, the spine of the ICM kit is too "squared", as covered by others in this forum.  Lastly, I think no-one notice it yet, but from my naked eye, the angle of the windscreen canopy is slightly incorrect.  For me, it looks "squished".  It seems the angle is a bit too shallow, and the windscreen should be given more slope (and angle), so imagine the pilot in the MiG-25 can still have some visibility.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

The 1:48 ICM MiG-25 is the prefer kit, but I think it has a few short comings such as the rear landing gear is too weak, and the ending has a cone shape which made the wheels end up with a negative camber as in most builts you saw online (it's a simple fix with Tamiya polyester putty to make it a cylindrical end).  I already have the UpWind 1:48 landing gear to replace the kit ones, but will keep an eye on the bronze landing gear made by Aerocraft to see how those two compare.  Also, the spine of the ICM kit is too "squared", as covered by others in this forum.  Lastly, I think no-one notice it yet, but from my naked eye, the angle of the windscreen canopy is slightly incorrect.  For me, it looks "squished".  It seems the angle is a bit too shallow, and the windscreen should be given more slope (and angle), so imagine the pilot in the MiG-25 can still have some visibility.

 

 

 

 

 

Also main LG legs are too high, nose leg also but not that much....kit doesn't have characteristic  nose up stance

 

P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...