Tamiya 1:48 P-47D Bubbletop "Oh Johnnie"

19 hours ago, Captain Mark said:

The detail is looking truly amazing so far, I'll be watching with interest! 👍 

Thanks!

I was able to get a lot done this weekend and I will update with pictures soon.

Cheers,

Brett

Quick update with pictures, I was able to get most of the major assembly done on the p-47.  Fuselage is all closed up now and seems have been taken care of.  I did have a little trouble with the seem on top where the two inserts meet.  It was a little stubborn, but in the end I was able to get it taken care of.  Other than that, everything else fell together as it should have.

I also detailed up the R-2800 engine, adding a few small details to the reduction gear housing as well as a new ignition ring from plastic and ignition wires from floral wire.  The plastic parts that Tamiya provides for the engine are really nice and pretty accurate from what I could tell, so detailing was pretty straight forward.  Not like my Hellcat build which required a lot more work.  I'm pretty happy with it.  

Finally, I've got all parts prepped for primer and painting.

tp8JaDg.jpg

SS8D0G5.jpg

cRjqyGz.jpg

bVE3uE8.jpg

OYh976v.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Cruising right along with this build now.  Today was a nice dry warm day and I took advantage to get a lot of painting done.

First I got the engine painted up.  Base of Alclad, details were painted by hand with vallejo acrylics and it was given a wash of Tamiya Panel Liner.  Over, I'm happy with how it turned out.

Jt4WX7E.jpg

Also, I couldn't resit dropping the prop in for a quick photo, just seems right.

1zu2Hvy.jpg

Next up was the air frame.  I started by spraying the bottom neutral gray color. Once that was dry, I used rolled up blue-tac to define the demarcation.  From the one good photo of Oh Johnnie, the demarcation seemed to have a bit of a feather to it.  The upperside was painted Olive Drab base.  Once this was dry, I wet the model with a large flat brush and sprinkled salt random onto it.  Again, from the one good picture of the plane, it appears that the OD color was pretty beaten up and worn, so, once the salt dried, I sprayed on Olive drab highlight in a splotchy pattern on the panels, trying to concentrate more on the upper surfaces.  I did this a few times with progressively lighter shades.  Finally I masked off and sprayed the wheel wells Zinc Chromate.  The effect seems rather stark at the moment, but I'm confident that once the gloss coat, deals, and subsequent washes and weathering will tone it down a but.  

All paints used here were MIG acrylics.  

YjKwx8a.jpg

5dNAsIA.jpg

RLIiYkH.jpg

The rudder was painted separately.  The white will be covered by a black checkered pattern.  I'm trying to decide if I want to use the decal, or attempt to spray it.  

I also managed to get some of the smaller pieces painted like the belly tank, canopies, antenna, and pitot tube but haven't gotten pictures of those yet.  

Next up is a gloss coat and decals.  It's really tempting not to try and fit the wings right now, but there is still so much work left on the fuselage so I must curb my excitement.  

Cheers,

Brett

Getting really close to the end on this one. 

After a second coat of gloss to seal in the decals, I ran Tamyia Panel line accent around the air frame.  Dark brown for the underside and tail and black for the upper surfaces.  This was followed by a coat of Testors Dull Coat.

XBw8fTS.jpg

With the dull coat on, I could now start getting all of the major components together.

DzOveOi.jpg

Up on her wheels for the first time.  It's all coming together.  

Speaking of wheels, I think I'm going to source some resin wheels, I'm not happy with the kit wheels, the thread isn't really noticeable and after looking back at the original photograph, it looks like the plane might actually have two different types of tires.  The right tire, closest to the camera appears to be the normal Diamond tread, but the farthest wheel appears to have a different tread pattern?  Maybe I'm seeing things?  A result of the replacement wings?  They got wings from two different airplanes, with different wheels?  What do you guys think?

Either way, a resit set should still be a better representation than the kit wheels.

yJNY7IS.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Almost there.  I’ve started adding all of the smaller pieces and I’m excited to be able to wrap this up.39O1u2Y.jpg

I couldn’t resist a black and white photo, see how close I was getting to the original photo.

UFlfWWJ.jpg

Cheers,

Brett