CD48176 - 1/48 QF-4B "Navy Drone Phantoms"

CD48176 will be a 1/48 sheet with markings for five US Navy QF-4B Phantoms in the overall International Orange scheme. Aircraft from NADC (Warminster, PA),  and NMC/PMTC (Point Mugu) will be covered; including a couple with names ("Great Pumpkin", "Big Tonka Toy"). Designed to fit the Zoukei Mura fuselage, but should really work equally well on the Academy and Hasegawa kits.

The decal design is finished, but the profiles still need a bit of work - here are some drafts. 
Coming in the next batch of releases; and a 1/72 version coming soon afterwards.  

cd48176profiles.jpgcd48176.jpg
Edited by KursadA

Woohoo!  Kursad, you da man!  I knew this was going to be an expensive year!  BTW, 148386 / NADC 94 "Great Pumpkin"  also wore the moniker as PMTC 46 with the newer blue band / triangle badge on the tail, circa 1979.  It looks like you added the 46 as well!   Here is a link to some great Point Mugu photos, including some neat special Phantom IIs.  Once again, a homerun!  K/r, Dutch001.JPG.d837d922396f31178210fc1f00085958.JPG

Edited by Dutch

While Zoukei Mura does not have an F-4B offering yet; it represents the state of the art in Phantom models in 2020, and it does not make sense to use another kit for scale checks.

Hasegawa, Monogram and Academy kits are all accurate in the dimensions and shapes that matter, and this particular sheet (and the other, as-yet-unannounced Phantom sheet coming next month) do not have any kit-dependent shapes aside from the walkway markings that will be provided on a separate insert. 

7 minutes ago, KursadA said:

While Zoukei Mura does not have an F-4B offering yet; it represents the state of the art in Phantom models in 2020, and it does not make sense to use another kit for scale checks.

Hasegawa, Monogram and Academy kits are all accurate in the dimensions and shapes that matter, and this particular sheet (and the other, as-yet-unannounced Phantom sheet coming next month) do not have any kit-dependent shapes aside from the walkway markings that will be provided on a separate insert. 

Oh I do like that hint!  BTW, it is now 27 Feb, so I assume that the Feb releases are now March releases?

28 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Oh I do like that hint!  BTW, it is now 27 Feb, so I assume that the Feb releases are now March releases?

I guess so - the decals have been here for a while but I don't expect to be able to ship them before March 10 or so. Just a few more days and I will catch up with the work.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at first “OMG!!!  Please do this in 1/32!!”  Then I saw it is for a B model.  Already shelled out $165 for one B conversion, can’t swing a second.  But very nice addition for 1/48 Phantoms. 

• 1 year later...

Its not hard, Some antenna, maybe remove the rear ejection seat and other cockpit changes. but that Tamiya detail is best on gull gray. Save the orange for a raised line Hasegawa or Monogram.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:52 AM, Collin said:

Honestly....I wouldn't use the Tamiya kit for an orange bird.  The Hasegawa (even with it's raised panel lines) is a great...and cheaper...option.

The Caracal sheet was a dream.

Cheers

Collin

Oh that’s an inspiring build there!  I hear what you’re saying, but the Tamiya kit is just so much fun to build in pressing ahead with it - there can be another gray one later 🙂

Steve