Think you will ever finish your stash?

I remember a funny story told by nick rochefort, about some guy who had a broken tooth and was in pain, with no money for dentist. And his boomer dad was updating him on his european bike restoration, ordering 300$ parts from EU like every month. It's really funny, isnt it (:

The fact if you ask me "what are all the planes and tanks you LOVE so much that you just have to buy and build them?" I can think of maximum of 7 that are just so cool that I just have to have them. All the rest...i dont even like......ill get no joy from building them or looking at them, even if i paint them in some custom livery.

And all of you have 90-150 bought boxes, and 95% of them you bought thinking "oh that would be kinda nice i guess to build". There was no bursting joy like your first model when you went "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AWESOME, I AM SO ENJOYING MY SELF RIGHT NOW!"

And with the average price of 30-90$ per box..thats 6000$ on models alone, forget about paints and tools.

And you never thought about buying bitcoin when it was 7000$, now 67,000$, to leave for your kids. You never thought about investing in something, or buying some land/property to leave to your kids, so that they can survive the future. Now that food and gas and rent are so expensive...and your kids might NEVER afford to buy a house. That they have to live with roomates, or in vans, or pay some jew 1000$ to live in a ghetto area.

At no point did you think "hmm this is way too much money, i really should have like 10 things i absolutely love, the rest should be spent on something meaningful or invested for my children".

And even if you had money...you could have build something to leave for the next generation, a park restored, a school, a clinic. You could have wrote a book to teach the next generation. You could have went on some remote place to restore wild life. You could have went lets say for example, in the jungles to search for the lost world. Something exciting, life changing journey and adventure.

But no: kid out of the house as soon as he reaches 18. He must learn to survive on his own right? You are building 200 planes you dont even like that much feeding Tokyo with your salary, restoring a german bike, vacationing in hawaii every summer. And your kid is in a hostile world he has no chance in...where everyone cheats and has help from his rich parents.

And the cherry on top - creme la creme! - as soon as you get sick, after all the vacations and planes, they will hook you to a machine to survive as long as possible, and you will rack up a 120,000$ hospital bill...just to live 2 months more...laying on a bed. You will spend all your savings...and then take all the money from your children......to live 2 months more.

And then you wont leave anything left for your son....and you would have donated your house to the church, because the kid has to learn to make it on his own XD

Well, not that I'm bragging......(Okay, I am. :whistle:)

But since you brought it up I have invested in real estate to leave to the kids one day. We rolled the dice back in March, closed April 30. 

lRABsR.jpg

Our sunset views....

gNjkX1.jpg

And the new entertainment for the kids and grand kids....

NbvRuW.jpg

And a little something we have decided we will have to sell to keep the kids from fighting over once we're gone....

v83OSj.jpg

Our investments are pretty well stocked up so now we are diverting cash into the property.   We owe about 1/3 of its value on the mortgage.   With the investments and my state retirement when I pull the rip cord, we're pretty secure. 

I also have an extensive firearms collection that I have to direct each one to each kid, grandkid in our will. (Great investments. I watched a guy during the pandemic trade 100 rounds of 9mm for a pallet of toilet paper) Some are collectables, some are family heirlooms, some are  just utility tools.  I'll let the kids decide if they want to keep the one's I leave to them or sell them.  I guess it will depend on their attitudes towards them and their financial situation.  I sure don't want one of my kids living in squalor and then willing them a $2500 firearm that they could sell to get out of debt.    I'm still thinking on how to divvy those up.  I'm sure the majority will go to my two son's.

And I still have my 200 or so kits to keep me entertained during the winter months now that we have a new summer routine.  My youngest son said he's ready to start liquidating my kits once I kick off.  I even walked him through some of the high dollar stuff that is first on my list to build once I get my modeling corner set back up downstairs.

I use to spend the summers in my air conditioned basement where it was nice and cool while it was blistering hot and humid outside.  I have a medical issue that the heat really kicks my butt.  But jumping in the lake and just spending the afternoon floating around in that heat and humidity isn't so bad anymore. 

And even if you had money...you could have build something to leave for the next generation, a park restored, a school, a clinic. You could have wrote a book to teach the next generation. You could have went on some remote place to restore wild life. You could have went lets say for example, in the jungles to search for the lost world. Something exciting, life changing journey and adventure.

Funny you mention this as well.  I have a very close friend that has funded and built a Christian school in Liberia.  I have sent lots of food their way, collected old bicycles I had and fixed them up and sent them over in one of his container loads and a little cash deals.  I actually have a building there with my name on it.  Unfortunately, it's the bathroom. Yea, I helped fund that project.  :rofl:

Edited by Scott Smith
8 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

And a little something we have decided we will have to sell to keep the kids from fighting over once we're gone....

v83OSj.jpg

How much are those going for now? The roller coaster thats been classic cars is hard to keep up with. Lovely car!

It’s tough to keep up. Last January Mecum was in FL and it was a Ford auction basically because of all the famous Shelby’s that were up for sale.  My son was there and he watched cars built half as nice as I built mine selling for 6 figures.  Keep in mind that was hunting over a baited field.  But he guesstimated it would have brought $125k-$135k there.  On Bring a Trailer auction site? No telling.  Anything over 6 figures would absolutely blow my mind.  
I’ve seen really nice ones selling around $45-$75k lately.  

Told the wife I’m going to get it 100% done after I retire and drive it a while and make my mind up after that.  

• 2 weeks later...

It takes me an average of 3 months to complete a model, I have 400+ in the stash and I am 78 years old, so the odds of ever "finishing" my stash are staggeringly strong against that happening.  Hmmmmm, I wonder if St Peter will let me take them with me through the "Pearly Gates" and .......?

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mr Scott Smith, as a millennial, and a honest person i have to admit when I am wrong - whatever I said doesnt apply to you.

When you have investments that you look over, and plan, and do this to leave the house to your kids (and guns!) thats a good parent.

And giving supplies and hand-made bicycles instead of cash its a very smart move to make sure that you actually help people. Most charities...they just take the cash and the kids dont get anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I stand a fairly good chance.  I'm 70 and just traded a good part of it for a WWII Japanese sniper rifle and some other things that will go to my kid later.  Now I'm down to a couple A.F. armored vehicles, a few select aircraft, some warships, and some science fiction kits.

Anything left over will be sold to our club.

*Takes a look into the stash*

Yep, I think there's a fair chance I will. Only 35 and the kits still remaining there are the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-17 and MiG-25P, an Italeri 1/48 Aermacchi MB326, an Otaki 1/48 F6F, Trumpeter 1/48 Su-24M, Hobby Boss 1/48 J-11 and a Hasegawa 1/48 F-14A and F-4F kit... :rofl:

Cheers,

Gwen