Think you will ever finish your stash?

Storage is also my problem. Have around 500 built in the basement. Every time I build one something else has to go.

Was tossing, or giving away. Sold a couple..... But now I am at the point of hard choices.

2 hours ago, Don said:

Nice ride! Smokey and the Bandit movies are among my favorites. In black like yours its an awesome looking car.  I was never a fan of the red or silver Trans Am's (wasn't there a cream color/tan color too? Those were pretty nasty). To me Trans Am's are like the Grand Nationals...any color as long as its black.

:thumbsup:

Mine is not the “Bandit” car (Pontiac called them Special Edition or SE TAs) but more like Smokey and the Stealth.  Solid black, no T-tops, no gold stripes, no screaming chicken on the hood. Its a 400 ci 4 speed with 4 wheel disc brakes. And that’s the original paint. 🙂

In the car world your “stash” isn’t the number of cars you own, it’s what I call “cylinder index” - add up the number of cylinders in all the cars/engines you own and divide it by your age. If your Cylinder Index is greater than 1.0 you have a problem.....  🙂. I’m at 1.14 but at least I will drive all of them before I die.....

Probably not. Quantity is an issue, but also over time I have lost interest in some of the kits I have, so even if I did pick up the pace of building, I might not be able to summon the enthusiasm for some of the kits in my stash.

If I live to 250, good chance.  I’ve got about 200 in the stash.  Just no idea where to put them all when built.  Also have too many hobbies as well.  Woodworking, my ‘66 Mustang GT, shooting and gun collecting, Photography and then throw in all the lawn care, home maintenance, keeping wife happy, travel, etc.....

Last year I completed five models, and that was an increase from the year before! I didn’t keep track but probably acquired at least 10, maybe 15, the stash is several hundred, so I suspect that at 75, even if I stopped buying new kits and ramped output up to 10/month, there is no way I’ld get through them.

One thing I learned from being a nurse in a nursing home for many years is, not to wait until you're retired to do the things you want to do. Things don't always work out as one would hope and the best laid plans... etc. I took care of too many people who had many plans for their retirement that never came to pass.

So, when I was younger I tried to build as many kits as I could. I have gained and lost more stashes than I care to remember. I've had to trash collections of built models due to circumstances beyond my control. But, I always came back to the hobby.

All that to say, build NOW. Many of us are already getting on in years and will never finish our stashes. For those of you who a younger, try to build as much as you can now. Of course, this also goes for anything else in your life that you want to do. Tomorrow may never come, try to make each day count. If building models is a passion, then embrace it and do as much as you can today. If you are lucky, then when you retire you'll continue to do the things that make you happy. If your luck swings the other way, then at least will have done as much as you could and have that to look back on.

Well, at least that's how I look on it. :hmmm:

Mstor,  well said!   My wife burned almost all of my vacation time last year due to travel.  And watching the elderly on the ships or in an airport, I have to agree.  The trouble they have to go through just to board a plane or a bus or ship is quite a struggle.  
We did a cruise this time last year to the western Caribbean,  Jackson Hole in June and got snow, our usual Myrtle Beach in July and then an Alaskan cruise in September.  
she want to see as much as we can before we get too old to enjoy.   

I know I’ll never complete mine. I don’t know how many I have, but at least 100, which I think is a lot, considering I just started model building again 10 years ago. I should probably do an inventory.   But, as was already pointed out, part of the fun/pleasure of this hobby is the dreaming.  I love getting out the boxes of the unbuilt ones, looking at the paints I’ll need, pondering the fits of parts, reviewing instructions to see how I’ll go about building this one or that one... Not  enough time left here, even in the best case, to finish my collection of unbuilt/partially built models...

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

I know I’ll never complete mine. I don’t know how many I have, but at least 100, which I think is a lot, considering I just started model building again 10 years ago. I should probably do an inventory.   But, as was already pointed out, part of the fun/pleasure of this hobby is the dreaming.  I love getting out the boxes of the unbuilt ones, looking at the paints I’ll need, pondering the fits of parts, reviewing instructions to see how I’ll go about building this one or that one... Not  enough time left here, even in the best case, to finish my collection of unbuilt/partially built models...

There's a certain satisfaction, a joy that comes from having a thing. The search for the thing you want, then the purchase. Finally, its arrival into your hands. You open the box and touch the bags of parts. Admire the parts and maybe open a bag or two to look at them closer. Then, you close it all up and put it on the shelf with all the other kits. BUT, if you are like me, you will have searched for and purchased the "aftermarket parts". These too will arrive, to be touched and admired, perhaps even placed into the same box as the kit. Else, they go to a special place reserved for aftermarket parts.

All this is part of the process called "building the stash". It is a time honored tradition among modelers. It is part of the joy that comes with this hobby. Unfortunately, it can become all consuming, it can get "out of hand". This problem is usually signaled by a spouse or girlfriend complaining that there is no room for her to sit down without crushing a kit, or when you find that the willingness to sacrifice eating this month because you have spent all your money on models is not shared by your spouse or girlfriend. But, I digress.

Take joy in "building the stash" and the "having the model kit".  Look upon your stash with pride and satisfaction. This is one of the great traditions of our noble hobby.

Later we shall discuss the dreaded "thinning the stash". Often dreaded but usually necessary, it doesn't need to feared and can be an enjoyable activity on it own. We shall also discuss "getting of the tools and supplies." It too can be a great source of joy and not just a necessity.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Well, I'm in my mid-40s. 

Personally, I believe if you got the time (and commitment)and the cash you can work it out!!! AND of course if you're healthy because after 30 the health problems begin!

My stash is not that big - around 100 models and I have already started selling most of my 1/72 kits (presbyopia😡).

So, to answer your question I believe I can finish my stash by the age of 75 (if health and my wallet permit it).

Edited by SERNAK
On 2/29/2020 at 4:45 PM, phantom said:

But now I am at the point of hard choices.

I think the solution is a fairly easy one. Start by giving away or selling the most common aircrafts like F-15, F-16, ETC. These are the ones you can easily find at any time and scale. The less usual are difficult to find like the TSR.2 or the CF-105, and others.

On 3/2/2020 at 1:28 AM, dogsbody said:

Hell no! If I built one per month, it would take me 62 years to clear the stash. As I'm now 65, it ain't happenin'!

Chris

You can always donate Chris!!!😁 (remember me when that time comes:yahoo:)

On 3/2/2020 at 10:58 PM, Mstor said:

One thing I learned from being a nurse in a nursing home for many years is, not to wait until you're retired to do the things you want to do. Things don't always work out as one would hope and the best laid plans... etc. I took care of too many people who had many plans for their retirement that never came to pass.

So, when I was younger I tried to build as many kits as I could. I have gained and lost more stashes than I care to remember. I've had to trash collections of built models due to circumstances beyond my control. But, I always came back to the hobby.

All that to say, build NOW. Many of us are already getting on in years and will never finish our stashes. For those of you who a younger, try to build as much as you can now. Of course, this also goes for anything else in your life that you want to do. Tomorrow may never come, try to make each day count. If building models is a passion, then embrace it and do as much as you can today. If you are lucky, then when you retire you'll continue to do the things that make you happy. If your luck swings the other way, then at least will have done as much as you could and have that to look back on.

Amen!  I agree with you MStor.  I too used to build a model or two a week in my teenage years.  By college, I had moved to "production line" building with five or six of the same type proceeding down the line for building, detailing and painting.  As you can imagine, the quality was not as good as I expect now, but the happpiness factor was pretty good for completing a "decent" kit quickly, even if it did include a few inaccuracies (whether I knew it or not).  And with all my moves in and out of the military, the collection and the stash vanished and reappeared more than once.  I am relatively settled, but do plan at least two more moves before "retiring."  I have about two dozen started kits, so will endeavor to get some of the hangar queens out the door and a few other gift builds to do this year. I will have to sell some of the the stash to get it back to a manageable level. Mstor, you hit the nail on the head!  K/r, Dutch  

Edited by Dutch
14 hours ago, Mstor said:

One thing I learned from being a nurse in a nursing home for many years is, not to wait until you're retired to do the things you want to do. Things don't always work out as one would hope and the best laid plans... etc.

I believe you're referring to the famous latin phrase (part of it) "carpe diem". True, true.

I have learned this (and still trying to apply it in action) the hard way, and by that I mean that I have a health problem that has "stall" not only my hobby but my life in general.

15 hours ago, Mstor said:

"Nicely put and well stated." I believe for most of us, we started building plastic kits as

boys growing-up. And for many different reasons, all those models built were dumped

and destroyed. And later in life, we've come back to our first love of the Hobby. Wisdom

dictates that its never too late, as long as the skills and abilities can cooperate! "And if

for whatever reasons we never complete the 'Stash,' at least we tried."

8 hours ago, SERNAK said:

I believe you're referring to the famous latin phrase (part of it) "carpe diem". True, true.

I have learned this (and still trying to apply it in action) the hard way, and by that I mean that I have a health problem that has "stall" not only my hobby but my life in general.

This I understand all too well. A few years ago I thought my modeling days were at an end due to health issues. I gave away all my stash (well, I kept a couple kits just in case). The few built kits I had remained as a reminder of better days. Then, after a couple of years, my health improved to the point where I could start building again. I was really happy when that happened. I am not back to the level I once was and I am constantly bumping up against the limits my health still imposes. In fact, lately I have completely stalled, but hope to get back to it in due course. One thing I have had to put a stop to is expanding my stash. I'll never build them all and have no room to display them all. I do cheat a little and continue to snatch up new aftermarket stuff as it comes out, and with the way new companies keep springing up and making newer and better aftermarket, well let's just say it is keeping my "stash gene" happy.

So brother, keep the faith and persevere.  As long as we can keep piecing together parts and keep applying paint, we're OK.

15 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

...I'm a ridiculously slow builder

If I really applied myself I might rise to the level of a ridiculously slow builder....  😞

One on the bench; have 8 in the stockpile that are waiting to be built; 2 that are started and came to a grinding halt.  I think I'll be able to get all these built.  I've sold and cleared out a lot over the last year.