Think you will ever finish your stash?

6 hours ago, habu2 said:

Here's a couple. One is at the same event as the first pic, the other is from a couple of years ago on the Hot Rod Power Tour, different wheels/tires.

And yes that's the original paint.  I've been fortunate enough to be able to keep it garaged most of its life.

I9BhYLG.jpg

zY8Jrdy.jpg

That is one sweet ride.   Love the rims.   You don't see many without the t-top and I noticed you don't have the bird on the hood anymore.  Super nice Poncho.

1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

... I noticed you don't have the bird on the hood anymore.  Super nice Poncho.

Thanks.  The car never had the screaming chicken on the hood, I specifically ordered it without it.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Thanks.  The car never had the screaming chicken on the hood, I specifically ordered it without it.

Love it!  I was going to call it that but some T/A owners get offended when you call it that.  So that was the "Chicken Delete" option..... :cheers:

Edited by Drifterdon

No the hood decal was a $95 option that every salesman checked by default.  I did order a "radio delete" option which got me a windshield antenna without a radio installed.

About 90% of '79 Trans Ams (and Formulas) actually had ~185 HP Oldsmobile 403 engines.  If you were in the know and got your order in early you could choose the ~220 HP Pontiac 400 engine.  The Pontiac motor was a $90 option. Choosing between that and a $95 screaming chicken was a no-brainer.

Thanks Habu2 for the info :thumbsup:. I may actually model your car, or at least a similar version without the firebird logo on the hood. It would look good beside the Bandits ride.

Happy modeling!

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

No the hood decal was a $95 option that every salesman checked by default.  I did order a "radio delete" option which got me a windshield antenna without a radio installed.

About 90% of '79 Trans Ams (and Formulas) actually had ~185 HP Oldsmobile 403 engines.  If you were in the know and got your order in early you could choose the ~220 HP Pontiac 400 engine.  The Pontiac motor was a $90 option. Choosing between that and a $95 screaming chicken was a no-brainer.

That is BEAUTIFUL. Awesome. Always thought those were some great looking cars, even though I'm a mustang lover first and foremost.

I saw one just like yours except they had a paint guy go in and paint a ghosted flame "chicken" on the hood. Very subtle and really cool. 

• 1 year later...

Happen to be going through the stash tonight, did a search and saw this thread. Will I finish? Looking doubtful even though this has been my most productive year as I finished 3 kits off the shelf of doom "None left on there now" and finished 3 others.  I have 124 kits in the stash and these below are my A-list which I fully intend to build. There are a few subjects I'm looking at getting but hoping to trade for them from my stash or pickup at the next Hobby show.  There is One kit I will be buying new as soon as it hits the shelf, ICMs new OV-10 Bronco, other than that I think I can resist all the new kits  coming out 😬 Luckily my plastic addiction doesn't bother my girlfriend in the least.

DSC01740.JPG

DSC01738.JPG

I can't -- I build too slow and the stash keeps growing.  And work and family just keep getting in the way of our passion, don't they   : )   I just try to enjoy the moments I'm hunched over the workbench.   Savor the journey as much as the destination.   But do take breaks from the hobby (not too long that you forget where you're at).  And exercise and stretch -- so many of us have kyphosis already as I've observed in modeling shows.  Neck and shoulder pain, watery/stinging eyes, and the general look of a tired shifu -- the stress of modeling will take its toll if you do nothing but.  

To put it bluntly.... absolutely no way on the face of this earth will I even put the slightest dent in my stash before I drop! I must have around 700 kits. In my defence though, I have discovered over the years that if I get interested in building a subject, I usually have a three to seven day window to start it. If I don't start it in that time period, then I lose interest and move on to something else. If I do start it, I will finish it eventually. Since model shops are a thing of the past around my area, that leaves mail order. If I have to mail order a kit, and wait weeks or months for it to get here, my interest in that particular subject has long since faded. With a big stash, I simply walk into the room and pull the kit of interest off of the shelf and get going. The other bonus of a big stash is that many of the kits that you see, especially the multiples, were picked up at very good sale prices. With as crazy as kit prices have gotten recently that helps my budget.

I figure I'll build until I'm 75 or so (knock on wood!) and then start selling off everything. That's my plan anyway! We'll see how it works out 🤣 Fred K.

rsz_31rsz_dscn1688.jpg

rsz_11rsz_1rsz_dscn1689.jpg

I had to google kyphosis 🙂 and I was just looking at some pics from a Hobby show in 2019 and not the slimmest group, YES step away from the bench and go for a walk regularly. 2 hours straight at the bench for me is about the norm with some 4 hour saturday mornings when the weather is crap. Bench and Coffee early in the morn two thumbs up. Totally agree that collecting is a big part of the hobby but I'm building kits to get the stash under a 100 so restricting the buys and doing some trades. As for other distractions oh Ya.

IMG_4089.jpg

DSC01392.JPG

Awesome stash there Fred and a solid plan 👍. A lot of my kits I also got on sale in my travels around the world, I look at my stash and remember when I picked up the KV-107 in Australia in the bargain bin or an excellent trip to Tokyo when I went to an amazing Hobby Shop and picked up the then brand NEW Hasegawa F-104. Think most of us can relate to planning a particular subject buying the kit then the squirrel runs by and we have started on another subject. All part of the Hobby and fun.

31 minutes ago, RCNFAN said:

I had to google kyphosis 🙂 and I was just looking at some pics from a Hobby show in 2019 and not the slimmest group, YES step away from the bench and go for a walk regularly.

To quote a great Canadian "Stand up straight with your shoulders back" 

Well, there was a time I could pull 30 models / year. 1/72 that is. I'm in my mid 30's. Nowadays I'm counting build time, checking how much does every session take, when do major things happen like paint, closing the fuselage, weathering. So I can guesstimate what models I can squeeze in time allowed - which isn't much. Besides space to store completed models isn't infinite. On the contrary. I've space for like 15 more, or so.

With all that I still find myself getting new kits. New releases, old releases. Sometimes I find myself buying kits of an airplane I do not really like - such as the Special Hobby Mirage F.1. I have almost every boxing, some even multiple - the kit is just lovelly, and the schemes are pretty interesting - the jet has some combat history too, which is what I like. I'm eyeballing more and more their Viggens. I got one already, which could be enough. But again, the kit is pretty nice.

Plus I dislike the fact, that when I have an urge to start a kit I can't. I keep multiple kits in multiple stages of the build, since I can;t freely do some things, such as painting. I need time and place for that, which I have no more than 2 times a week, when family sleeps and I get kitchen all to myself.

TL:DR: I know I will not build them all, and yet I still  get more. More. Mooooreeeee.

No, I won't, but I will echo the thoughts of STORM and admit that the anticipation of building the stash is part of the enjoyment of the hobby.  I just counted, and I have about 550 kits, and that doesn't count the roughly 140 that I've decided to sell.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:48 AM, RCNFAN said:

Awesome stash there Fred and a solid plan 👍. A lot of my kits I also got on sale in my travels around the world, I look at my stash and remember when I picked up the KV-107 in Australia in the bargain bin or an excellent trip to Tokyo when I went to an amazing Hobby Shop and picked up the then brand NEW Hasegawa F-104. Think most of us can relate to planning a particular subject buying the kit then the squirrel runs by and we have started on another subject. All part of the Hobby and fun.

Every word of this is true 😆 Fred.

I don't know if I will build them all, but right now I am trying to shrink rather than increase the numbers.  I have tried to sell off duplicates and kits that have been superseded by more recent versions; but it is difficult to do and not lose money.  Shipping is a killer.

Geoff M

Holy crap! 😲

SABLE: Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Do you all live in exceedingly large houses? Or do you rent storage units?

My "stash" is currently at a whopping 4 kits... and even those boxes are just sitting on my bookshelves, blocking access to the actual books. SWMBO would have a meltdown if I was trying to store anything beyond a dozen anywhere in our house. 😂

As I will turn 72 in June and have 70+ kits in the stash, there's not a snowball's chance in a hot fire I will build them all.  I'm trying hard not to buy another one, but I will probably fail.

• 4 months later...

Reducing the Stash again.

I did a purge about 10 years ago and got the stash to 78 Kits by selling on here but mostly at a couple of model shows and at club meetings. Planned not to grow the collection again but then all these manufactures came along with new kits and I gladly turned my money over to them for stuff I couldn't do without!! So back over a hundred again. Couple of club members said they were having good success selling and buying on face book  so the Girlfriend posted some stuff for me and I was surprised to move 8 kits in a little over a week.  These were duplicates of stuff I had already built and subjects I lost interest in. Although way back when I sold a 1/48 Hasegawa  A4E Skyhawk that I thought I wouldn't build and now find myself looking for another, this hobby is funny that way. I have a feeling that at our first show since covid in 2022 that the vendors room will be packed with stuff, can't wait but will try to keep it sane, pretty sure I don't need another Phantom.