Think you will ever finish your stash?

Wow, lots has happened since I last posted in this thread.  Packed up our home and we moved back in May.  All my models are packed up in moving boxes still, some in storage, some in my garage loft I built.   No way I’ll be sitting at a bench until probably this time next year with so many projects needing to be done here at the new place.  

Not in a million years!  However, the advantage to an insane amount of models in my unbuilt collection is that it's almost like having a hobby shop in my home.  I can pick and choose from a vast array of different models at any time, so there's that.  But be able to finish the entire collection?  Maybe if I were 20 years old with a 90 year lifespan, instead of being almost 63...

I don`t trust the bank so i have a stash instead. I always bought a lot more than i needed so i could sell again later. The real question is how many kits can you build before you run out of plastic cement. I`m at the point where i no longer go look for models because i have pretty much everything i ever wanted. These days i spend a little money on books and such but without question the real foundation is my beloved stash, lol. I can pick & choose...cherrypick whatever i want, i don`t have to build "everything"  

• 2 weeks later...

I have accepted the fact that though I will never finish my stash, I like that sense of satisfaction in knowing that I own kit A or kit B or something rare that I've always wanted. 

I have sometimes lost bidding wars on Ebay and that feeling of "I coulda had that kit" or "I wish I had bought more of Brand X kits before they folded"  is an itch in the back of my head that I don't need ( the itch, that is, not the head).

So, I have made peace with the fact that I will never finish them, but it feels good to know that I have them and that I can reach for them anytime and just "feel" the plastic in my hands. 

I used to worry about what's going to happen to all those kits after I'm gone. And that worry sometimes spoils your mood and drains your modeling mojo. But I discovered that it's mentally liberating once I started not really caring what happens to them after I'm gone.  Thrown away? Given away? Sold away? Don't care. I'm gone anyway.  Can't do nothing about it.

So I might as well enjoy the present and not worry too much about the "future" of the stash. 

It's like "enjoy the moment" and don't care what happens afterwards.

It's liberating to think this way.

Edited by JackMan

I have 860 kits in the stash, with plans to build most of them.  I just ordered about 10 more.  My average is about 22 builds per year, so it'll take me about 40 years to finish them.

I'm 51, so yeah, it's *technically* possible.  Practically?  Hmmm.  I do intend to dramatically increase my output once I retire.  But, realistically?  Probably not. 

Do I care?  Heck no.  I'm interested in collecting as much as I am in building.  A good chunk of my stash is "reserved" for display as collectors' items (think original Revell kits from the 50's). 

At the end of the day, I firmly believe that hobbies don't need to make sense to anyone but the hobbyist.

🙂

Edited by mlicari

Only if I win the Lottery! then, yes, I will have the time and the financial resources to first of all, finish my stash which is 100plus kits and simultaneously by "a few" new ones.

I think the ideal formula is; build your kits at a certain standard (remove excess glue, fill in the gaps, avoid the "orange peel" effect, and etc.) and devote some extra time only on those models that for some reason are more important. For example, the aircraft you used to fly or, the one you dad used to, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The math and my wife both say no. 

I also say no. 

But then I quickly say something mealy-mouthed like "It's not about FINISHING, it's about BUILDING..."

After that I tell her that the unbuilt stash will pay for a funeral and a chunk of a new car. 

And back to wedded bliss. 

I once did help a friend, who was helping out a widow of a fellow modeller to sell his stash. Pricing and stuff. Figured I'd do an excel sheet with proposed pricing of my own stuff. You know, just in case. She told me she'd just throw them away, so I better not die.

This actually makes me wonder, with hundreds of kits, where do You plan on putting them. Storing boxes is one thing, but finished kits?

I either have to give away my "unwanted" kits, or rob them of spare parts and throw them away. Before this happens, I use empty boxes to store some finished models. Honestly I can't help not to run out of shelf space anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, Thadeus said:

Honestly I can't help not to run out of shelf space anytime soon.

I have the same problem.   Every few years I have to do a purge which I have done a couple times.  Before I get rid of them I take a picture of all the victims.  

Geoff M 

On 10/6/2021 at 8:44 AM, SERNAK said:

I think the ideal formula is; build your kits at a certain standard (remove excess glue, fill in the gaps, avoid the "orange peel" effect, and etc.) and devote some extra time only on those models that for some reason are more important. For example, the aircraft you used to fly or, the one you dad used to, etc.

Yup! Most of mine are really nice 2-3 footers. I don’t spend any time on anything on the bottom cause I don’t display them upside down. Concentrate on seams you can see, and a nice finish. Everything else is straight out of the box. It’s amazing how many more kits I finish a year with this approach. 

You are one lucky fellow sharing the modelling passion with your son.  It brings you closer together and he can add more kits to the stash : )   Just checked my new acquisitions  - my stash grew by a huge number just this year.   And the new Tamiya  F-14 and F-4 kits I saw in the hobby shop today are begging to be bought. 

Edited by crackerjazz
On 2/27/2020 at 12:37 PM, davevw said:

If you stopped buying more models, how many of you think you will finish your stash before you die? I’m 30 years old and my wife doesn’t think I can finish mine. 

My answer is no.    Age 66.  Stash c. 200.  Build rate c. 12/year.

David

On 10/31/2021 at 2:46 PM, Charlie D. said:

Yup! Most of mine are really nice 2-3 footers. I don’t spend any time on anything on the bottom cause I don’t display them upside down. Concentrate on seams you can see, and a nice finish. Everything else is straight out of the box. It’s amazing how many more kits I finish a year with this approach. 

I do this as well, makes it a lot easier to finish stuff.