DS F-15E markings

Repliscale had 1/48 and 1/32 sheets for pre-DS 4th TFW F-15Es that you could use. There was the wing commanders jet “Spirit of Goldsboro” and maybe one other. All jets on the sheet were 336th TFS, IIRC. I think there might have been at least one other sheet that included a 335th TFS jet, but I’m not 100% sure about that. The Revell kits had 4th decals, but I can’t recall if they included the correct wing and squadron badges for the time. They should be “Tactical Fighter Wing” and “Tactical Fighter Squadron.”

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Repliscale had 1/48 and 1/32 sheets for pre-DS 4th TFW F-15Es that you could use. There was the wing commanders jet “Spirit of Goldsboro” and maybe one other. All jets on the sheet were 336th TFS, IIRC. I think there might have been at least one other sheet that included a 335th TFS jet, but I’m not 100% sure about that. The Revell kits had 4th decals, but I can’t recall if they included the correct wing and squadron badges for the time. They should be “Tactical Fighter Wing” and “Tactical Fighter Squadron.”

Ben

Yup they should be, pre ACC.  I looked at the Revell sheet (that’s the kit I’m using) but they are not printed the best so I was wondering what was out there besides that 

I used the Cutting Edge F-15E Iraqi Freedom sheet.  It had the proper wing / squadron badge for the 336th TFS as extra decals with TFS/TFW.  the sheet also has empty crew name decals such that I could print a decal and place whatever name on there.  I think the only decals I used from the kit was were the mission markings and eagle on the fin.

4 hours ago, Benner said:

I used the Cutting Edge F-15E Iraqi Freedom sheet.  It had the proper wing / squadron badge for the 336th TFS as extra decals with TFS/TFW.  the sheet also has empty crew name decals such that I could print a decal and place whatever name on there.  I think the only decals I used from the kit was were the mission markings and eagle on the fin.

Do you remember what sheet number it was that had the proper badges?

I thought you were looking for Desert Storm or Desert Shield?

ODS limits you to SJ based jets as they were the only unit that had them at the time, if you open it up to include OIF you can take in SJ and LN based jets as they had them in that time frame... Not that they took part in OIF, just that they had them.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I thought you were looking for Desert Storm or Desert Shield?

ODS limits you to SJ based jets as they were the only unit that had them at the time, if you open it up to include OIF you can take in SJ and LN based jets as they had them in that time frame... Not that they took part in OIF, just that they had them.

I am looking for just that. But if they have the right badges for the time period and fin flash I could use those form that sheet if I can find it that is.  I was hoping to do a 336th TFS bird from that time. 

Edited by achterkirch
8 hours ago, achterkirch said:

Do you remember what sheet number it was that had the proper badges?

It was Cutting Edge 48420 

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/ce/ce48240.htm

The sheet gives you an insert so you get two types of wing badge decals.  But the 336th decals have only one option with "TAC" on it.

Do you have a specific plane in mind you want to represent?  

33 minutes ago, Benner said:

The sheet gives you an insert so you get two types of wing badge decals.  But the 336th decals have only one option with "TAC" on it.

No I don’t have one yet. The sticky part will

be crew names. I’m open to what ever One. 

16 hours ago, Benner said:

So are you saying there is an error on the superscale sheet?

28 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

So are you saying there is an error on the superscale sheet?

I'm describing a Cutting Edge sheet.

The sheet instructions indicate the two wing badges are provided, one suitable for Iraqi Freedom, the other for 1991 period.

I'm assuming the 336th badge is wrong for Iraqi Freedom, as it has "336 TAC FTR SQ". 

The find badge does show "AIR COMBAT COMMAND" for OIF, so when I did my DS build I got that badge from another sheet as well.

Edited by Benner
18 hours ago, achterkirch said:

No I don’t have one yet. The sticky part will

be crew names. I’m open to what ever One. 

Hi,

I think that the Superscale sheet with the TAC F-15E's is 48-401, with SJ, WA and LF tailcodes.

I'm not sure,  but I seem to recall that the Desert Storm missions may have been flown with the crew names painted out.

Cheers, Stefan.

2 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

I think that the Superscale sheet with the TAC F-15E's is 48-401, with SJ, WA and LF tailcodes.

I'm not sure,  but I seem to recall that the Desert Storm missions may have been flown with the crew names painted out.

Cheers, Stefan.

That seems to have mostly been the case. I've found a few DS photos and almost all of the 336th jets have the crew names painted over, but there are at least a couple of 335th jets that still had them.

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

That seems to have mostly been the case. I've found a few DS photos and almost all of the 336th jets have the crew names painted over, but there are at least a couple of 335th jets that still had them.

Ben

I can’t find great refs unfortunately. Any google search I have tried comes up with something I can’t use or isn’t of the right time period. Do you have some pics I could see?

I frankly don't see what's particularly wrong with the Revell kit decal sheet, which includes markings for one DS plane. I bought an Afterburner sheet, but I'm planning on doing the DS markings with the kit I'm currently working on.

2 hours ago, seawinder said:

I frankly don't see what's particularly wrong with the Revell kit decal sheet, which includes markings for one DS plane. I bought an Afterburner sheet, but I'm planning on doing the DS markings with the kit I'm currently working on.

When this kit first came out I bought it and thought the decals were great. They had a lighter blue, almost white, backing paper to them  The kit I got recently, decals are different. Most likely made by some one different. The backing paper is darker blue and the decals aren’t printed the same. For one the eagle decals  that suppose to be a solid grey Looks like they have small dots printed on the with a lighter shade of grey behind it. Reminds me of what Hasegawa did with some of their in house decals. Also on some decals the back is fading such as the decals with crew names on it.  If the decals were up to snuff with what I want I would use them. 

Hmm. I wonder if you got one from a bad batch. The sheet in my kit is definitely on blue paper, but both the grays and blacks are solid. I will say decals 86 and 87 (crew names) appear lighter than the two above them, but I'm pretty sure it's simply because the stroke width of the outlines is smaller.

Edited by seawinder
21 hours ago, achterkirch said:

I can’t find great refs unfortunately. Any google search I have tried comes up with something I can’t use or isn’t of the right time period. Do you have some pics I could see?

PM your email to me and I’ll send you what little I have.

Ben

12 hours ago, achterkirch said:

The original release, #85-5511. 

That's what I've got (although I purchased it within the past year), and, as I said, the decals look fine. Which of course doesn't help your situation.