Converting F-14B to F-14D 1/48

Exterior-wise isn't difficult at all. Remove the two sets of ECM blisters under glove vane (keep the on the leading edge) and replace the TCS chin pod with the dual sensor chin pod. Steel Beach makes a resin replacement if you don't have one in your spares box. 

It's the interior where there's a problem. You'll need to replace the GRU-7 seats with NACES seats. That's pretty easy. There are numerous aftermarket sets. The instrument panels and front glare shield are the problem. The IP's are completely different, and the glare shield has a HUD on it. There is also a small box on top of the RIO's glare shield. It's the SSU (Sensor Slave Unit). 

If you can live with the wrong instrument panels, then you'll be able to pull off the conversion. I know that you can remove the Hasegawa glare shield parts, so maybe someone has an extra set of D parts they'd be willing to send you.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:04 AM, andrew.deboer said:

Looks like you might also need new main wheels, BOL sidewinder rails, LANTIRN pylon  pod.

Or you could leave it just like it is, and buy a Tamiya or AMK F-14D kit. Sorted.

The new wheels, BOL's lauchers and LANTRIN Pod/Pylon weren't exclusive to the Delta's, the Bravo's and Alpha's had them too.

The only difference between the Bravo and Delta's were the seats, cockpit, chin pod and a few lumps/bumps.

Edited by GW8345
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BastianD said:

I will keep it a B but will change the squadron to an other CAG bird, any recommendations?

You of course could do VF-103 Jolly Rogers, but in my opinion it's been done to death. VF-102 Diamondbacks have a very nice colorful scheme. I believe Fightertown Decals has a sheet for those. VF-32 are nice markings as well. I'm partial to VF-11 Red Rippers.

This is the decal sheet you want - 

Fightertown Decals 48085 is fit to Tamiya and is available.

http://www.fightertowndecals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

48065 was for the Hasegawa kit but for the CAG jet, will still work jus48085_SHOWBOATS_PG1x-500x500.jpg.620b97447025284fe084f141ec213a75.jpgt fine.