CD48162 - 1/48 F-4 "Edwards Test Phantoms"

CD48162 will be a 1/48 sheet dedicated to the F-4 Phantoms operated by AFTTC at Edwards AFB over the years. Aircraft in both the white/red "Bozo" scheme and the SEA wraparound/white wing ALCM chase scheme are covered; including F-4D, NF-4E, RF-4C and a few interesting markings.  I thought this sheet and the upcoming Navy QF-4B sheet would be a neat pair.

The decal sheet is done (thumbnail's up at the Web site); but not the profiles - I plan to complete the profiles soon and share them here. This one is coming in the next batch of releases, and will be scaled down to 1/72 scale soon afterwards.

cd48162promo.jpg

Edited by KursadA

varf2v.jpg

One of my all-time favorite schemes on the Phantom, from Edwards AFB. I took a 1/72

scale die-cast model, and used the decal sheet from the Hasegawa | No. 00294 kit and

completed the repaint and model.

The "Phantom II" on display is a YF-4E.  This was the third YF-4E built, and was originally an F-4D (65-0713). The first YF-4E had originally been the YRF-4C (62-12200) and the second was an F-4C (63-7445). (65-0713) was the first aircraft to include both the Nose-mounted Cannon and Radar. These latter two aircraft originally had the J79-GE-J1B engines, but both were later re-engined with the J79-GE-17.

The weight of the gun and its 639-round ammunition drum was counterbalanced by fitting an additional 95-gallon fuel tank in the rear fuselage, bringing the total internal fuel capacity to 1993 gallons. One of the two fin-mounted Pitots (the upper one) was relocated to the extreme nose. The F-4E retained the semi-recessed AIM-7 Sparrow air-to-air missiles, and the external store stations of the earlier variants. The engines were a pair of J79-GE-17 engines, with an after-burning thrust of 17,900 pounds each. In the interest of eliminating excess weight, the Powered Folding Wing Mechanism of the earlier USAF Phantoms was finally eliminated. Also deleted was the, Emergency Ram-air Turbine that sat inside a recess compartment on the upper side port fuselage.

F-4D-28-MC s/n 65-0713
*Converted to the YF-4E prototype.
*1977-85: AFFTC.
*1988: AFFTC.
*1989: USAF 6512th TS.
*1992: Withdrawn from use.
*Currently preserved at Edwards AFB, Ca.

Edited by The Underdog

Any of these white ghosts make the cut off? Especially the former Thunderbirds....

24374360172_93208871dd_b.jpg

1%2018%20YF-4E%2065-0713%20left%20front%

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235065574-test-support-nf-4e-66-0329/

http://www.thevailvoice.com/the-story-behind-the-american-legion-post-109-f-4e-phantom-ii/

Any chance we can get a follow on for Phantoms not at Edwards, like Eglin, Tyndell etc? Not QF-4s mind you but the other T & E or flight systems aircraft.

74231_1085282984.jpg

index.php?view=image&format=raw&type=ori

http://www.amarcexperience.com/ui/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=8&Itemid=101

Kursad

If you do want to venture out to some of the non-Edwards test Phantoms, I have walk around photos of the Flight Systems "The Blue Baron" N430FS that I shot way back when. This has been really high on my To Do list as it is a rare civilian Phantom that is cool looking!

Have fun modeling

Mike

🍻

F4DN430FSFlight Systems667483 (Small).jpg

• 1 month later...

I have an extensive collection of F-4 Phantom models, in my collection. My most favorite

"Phlavor" is the 1/72 scale variety. But, I might have to make an exception and pick-up the

upcoming Caracal decal sheet in 1/48 scale. And build a couple of "Phabulous Phantoms"

as a tribute to the, "classic and iconic White and Orange aircraft" from Edwards AFB.

41 minutes ago, KursadA said:

The 1/48 sheet is being printed now and will be a mid-May release, and the 1/72 version will follow in July or August.

Kursad,

Thanks for the great news, I'm stoked about Caracal releasing these in the 1/72 scale!

But, I'll still be purchasing some in both scales. Thanks for taking care of us, who simply

love the Hobby and building great looking models.

On 3/6/2020 at 9:52 AM, Mike J. Idacavage said:

Kursad

If you do want to venture out to some of the non-Edwards test Phantoms, I have walk around photos of the Flight Systems "The Blue Baron" N430FS that I shot way back when. This has been really high on my To Do list as it is a rare civilian Phantom that is cool looking!

Have fun modeling

Mike

I second Mike's suggestion.  I have a 1/72 F-100F in FS markings and a 1/48 A-4N in FS/Tracor markings planned.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:59 AM, KursadA said:

CD48162 will be a 1/48 sheet dedicated to the F-4 Phantoms operated by AFTTC at Edwards AFB over the years. Aircraft in both the white/red "Bozo" scheme and the SEA wraparound/white wing ALCM chase scheme are covered; including F-4D, NF-4E, RF-4C and a few interesting markings.  I thought this sheet and the upcoming Navy QF-4B sheet would be a neat pair.

The decal sheet is done (thumbnail's up at the Web site); but not the profiles - I plan to complete the profiles soon and share them here. This one is coming in the next batch of releases, and will be scaled down to 1/72 scale soon afterwards.

cd48162promo.jpg

Will these be available from Hannants? With the upcoming ZM F-4E this would be my dream version to build.

Lothar

• 2 weeks later...