Coronavirus affecting the hobby???

So since the outbreak of the coronavirus has pretty gone global and the fact that alot of model companies are overseas made me wonder if the models and accessories we buy from them are safe to handle.

On top of that, I wonder if the production of models and accessories will slow down because of it?

Tim

There is no reason to believe shipped packages are a transmission risk. In absolute ideal circumstances the virus can survive on surfaces for a couple weeks. But in real world environments, this is mere hours to a couple days. 

The most obvious impact we are likely to notice would be any restrictions on, or cancellations of, public events (such as model shows).

Shizuoka Hobby Show (in May) has already been cancelled this year (announced on Thursday). It's one of the premier trade events in the hobby but the organisers feel it's better to err on the side of caution.

If other countries were to follow the example of the French Government and impose a temporary ban on indoor gatherings (of more than 5,000 people at the moment), that might also have an impact. Most model shows don't approach that size but if the ban was extended to smaller events then the situation could easily change.

As someone who is part of a team that organises a major model show every year, albeit in November, it's something we're keeping a close eye on. Hopefully everything will have settled down by then and it won't affect us, but it's better to prepare for it than ignore the risk.

John

2 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Makes you wonder about the 2020 Nats and Telford.

Tim 

Telford is the show I help to organise and run. No plans to change anything at the moment but we'll keep an eye on how things play out over the next few months.

John

Yes it will have an impact on new kit production as may of the plastic production plants in china shut down to control the spread of the virus.

Then there is the effect on shipping it has and will continue to have and even those kits already here in country of purchase will be effected as people consider not going into work.

Another possible impact from the other side - if you are forced to stay home and don’t have extended sick leave banked your disposable income could be affected.   The second worst effect of this pandemic is the global economy. 

With the outbreak of the Corona virus I thought about the orders I'm expecting from overseas and how I would handle the boxes. When I received the first parcel last week I wore gloves, today that I got the second parcel I didn't.

I think besides the virus and how it is transmitted it also plays a role how you can and will handle it (the whole situation I mean) from a psychological point of view.

Edited by SERNAK

Attend a show With a large number of people, and exchange cash with a segment of the hobby who, lets be honest, personal hygiene is not a priority? I’ll take a pass this year. My stash is size able enough to take a year off from going to shows. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:27 PM, ESzczesniak said:

There is no reason to believe shipped packages are a transmission risk. In absolute ideal circumstances the virus can survive on surfaces for a couple weeks. But in real world environments, this is mere hours to a couple days. 

Agreed, my concern would more be that last mile handling. Example....Amazon contracted driver yesterday delivered a bunch of boxes while I was working in garage. I told them just pile  the boxes at the open garage door. As they got back in their truck they had a big coughing fit. Made me pause and think, and then grab the bleach solution I keep in a spray bottle  for spaying the occasional mouse droppings in the garage. Which I then used to mist the boxes with and let dry. Probably an over reaction but doesn’t hurt!

Your money that changes hands seems to be a much bigger risk than plastic and packaging.  Money moves much quicker.

Is that worth 2 cents???

Bo

Edited by jabow

To be honest I am not worried a huge amount but there is that twinkle of caution. I think the virus only survives for a certain time on inanimate objects. Will have to go look that up.

The other thing is the supply to the hobby shops. When I was at my LHS last week my friend who works there mentioned that their supply of Trumpeter kits which they were expecting was delayed. Their supplier said they were not shipping due to CoVid-19. Seems the factory was shut down?

As others have said my stash is stupidly huge. My friends like it, the wife not so much. So the bottom line is that I have enough to build till the cows, sheep, pigs, dogs and cats come home. Although would need to stock up on glue though.

2 hours ago, niart17 said:

Biggest risk at this time is the panic.

Agreed!!  But; SHOULD be a 'Wake-up' call NOT to put all ur eggs in one basket!!  Majority of our supplies come from China!  Need to bring, at least some, back home!!

Bo

personally I hope this lefty media driven fear shuts everything down. This way I can indeed have time to 'isolate' myself to work on my models and tell the world to *iss off.

I, personally, cannot believe how many people are blowing this right out of proportion. taking precautions to ensure it doent spread I understand. The fear purchasing and hoarding and people acting like this will turn out like the walking dead is beyond me. We are sold out of hand sanitiser and medical masks here....and the local media were talking about stocking up on TP  today...cause you always need TP.

its insane!

Sean

15 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Although would need to stock up on glue though.

I believe we all share this thought. Though, I would like to add as secondary requirements the stock of sanding papers, thinner, and putty. Oh! AND BEERS!!!!!!

Seriously now, I believe the fact that it is 3 or 4 times more contagious and that we don't know much about it is what makes us all worry so much.

Edited by SERNAK