Coronavirus affecting the hobby???

7 hours ago, SERNAK said:

I believe we all share this thought. Though, I would like to add as secondary requirements the stock of sanding papers, thinner, and putty. Oh! AND BEERS!!!!!!

Seriously now, I believe the fact that it is 3 or 4 times more contagious and that we don't know much about it is what makes us all worry so much.

Yup I think you are so right. I think I am good for sanding paper but beers, hmm not so much.

As you said I too think it is the unknown that is driving this. I can't believe the stores are out of TP. What's up with that. We went to get some from our local Costco and that was down to a few packages. We only bought 1 as that is what we needed. Saw other carts with 4 or 5 packs. Sanitizer was also out but we were not looking for any.

While a lot of this pseudo-paranoia may be driven by media sensationalism and consumer ignorance, I can’t help but think that these excessive retail purchases (needed or not) may help keep the local economies afloat as stock markets continue to sink. 

Bathroom one of three is stocked-locked-and-ready-to-rock!

Image result for toilet paper hoard stash

And the TP stash:

Image result for toilet paper stash

Stocked up on food to match:

Image result for canned chili hoard

Hmmm...glad we have all that TP :hmmm:.

:woot.gif:

Happy modeling all!

On 3/5/2020 at 7:45 PM, skidbuggy said:

personally I hope this lefty media driven fear shuts everything down. This way I can indeed have time to 'isolate' myself to work on my models and tell the world to *iss off.

Yep.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:55 PM, martin_sam_2000 said:

I, personally, cannot believe how many people are blowing this right out of proportion. taking precautions to ensure it doent spread I understand. The fear purchasing and hoarding and people acting like this will turn out like the walking dead is beyond me. We are sold out of hand sanitiser and medical masks here....and the local media were talking about stocking up on TP  today...cause you always need TP.

its insane!

Sean

Costcos are sold out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, bleach,  etc. Also locally the Walmart is out of bleach and rubbing alcohol.

Slightly dated by a month. But you get the idea.
5e35c9a75bc79c7e8f421d82.jpeg

92f26589355c8824d639b3bf9f01ce4e716ad756

10 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

Slightly dated by a month. But you get the idea.
5e35c9a75bc79c7e8f421d82.jpeg

Although I do agree that some are overreacting, it should be pointed out that the picture has changed quite a bit since this table was created (on 31 January, 2020). I extracted the following information from yesterday's WHO Sitrep (i.e. 7 March, 2020):

2019-nCoV

Confirmed cases: 101,927

Deaths: 3,486

Fatality rate: 3.42%

Countries affected: 94

Comparing that to your table from 31 January, 2019-nCoV is right up there in terms of seriousness.

Sitrep that I used for above numbers available on WHO website here:

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200307-sitrep-47-covid-19.pdf

5 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Although I do agree that some are overreacting, it should be pointed out that the picture has changed quite a bit since this table was created (on 31 January, 2020). I extracted the following information from yesterday's WHO Sitrep (i.e. 7 March, 2020):

2019-nCoV

Confirmed cases: 101,927

Deaths: 3,486

Fatality rate: 3.42%

Countries affected: 94

Comparing that to your table from 31 January, 2019-nCoV is right up there in terms of seriousness.

Sitrep that I used for above numbers available on WHO website here:

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200307-sitrep-47-covid-19.pdf

Depends on your definition of “serious”.  Yes, it’s highly infectious, but also rarely deadly.  A fatality rate of 3.4% is very low compared to the mortality rate of most of the other diseases listed on the table.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Depends on your definition of “serious”.  Yes, it’s highly infectious, but also rarely deadly.  A fatality rate of 3.4% is very low compared to the mortality rate of most of the other diseases listed on the table.

Agreed, if mortality rate is the criteria for "serious". However, at this point, only two diseases on that table have killed more people and only one affected more countries.

Edited by Mfezi
2 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Agreed, if mortality rate is the criteria for "serious". However, at this point, only two diseases on that table have killed more people and only one affected more countries.

How many people have died and how many infected in various countries from common influenza?

3.4 % is just an average though, it varies quite a bit by age. over 80 it’s 14.8%, 70-79 it’s 8%. History of heart disease, 10%, diabetic 7%, high blood pressure 6%. 

With close family in both age groups I’m rightfully concerned.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

How many people have died and how many infected in various countries from common influenza?

Very good point - influenza has a low mortality rate but is very common and, as a result, cause a huge number of deaths worldwide each year. If influenza was a new decease, it certainly would have grabbed everyone's attention in a similar way. As it is, common influenza's seasonal characteristics are well known and its effects are well studied and predictable. There are several articles on this comparison. Just one example here:

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

God I hope so...with all this hysteria (MSDNC you're the best!), won't be long before I'm told to "work from home" 🤣😂...Hey...it's aircraft related so it counts as "work" !

I'll be knocking dents in the stash!

On 3/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, frankycee said:

If only more of us had a stash that we could go thru while this crisis blows over... 🙂

You don't really need to have a big stash, just three or five kits will do. Just check that you have stock of everything (glue, sanding paper, etc.) and that your airbrush is working properly. Mine is not!! So, back to the good old flat paint brush and some Matchbox kits to remember my youth!!!!!

The funny part is how my modelling adventures have prepared us for any coronavirus issues. I have n95 masks to wear when sanding resin. I have a box of rubber/whatever gloves to wear while painting. I have IPA to thin Tamiya paint. Biggest challenge was looking through the modelling desk without getting injured by falling objects.

cheers

Bill Inglee

On 3/1/2020 at 7:35 AM, hawkwrench said:

So since the outbreak of the coronavirus has pretty gone global and the fact that alot of model companies are overseas made me wonder if the models and accessories we buy from them are safe to handle.

On top of that, I wonder if the production of models and accessories will slow down because of it?

Tim

i have a 3d resin printer and Fusion 360. I enjoy drawing in 3d and printing my models today as much as i enjoyed building plastic models.
Best of both worlds

On 3/1/2020 at 7:57 AM, ESzczesniak said:

There is no reason to believe shipped packages are a transmission risk. In absolute ideal circumstances the virus can survive on surfaces for a couple weeks. But in real world environments, this is mere hours to a couple days. 

Give your deliveries a spray with disinfectant or put under a UV light

This Virus is a big concern if you are older or a cancer patient etc.  Cancer patients have their immune system suppressed to zero due to treatment, even the common cold can be deadly to them requiring a hospital stay and if the hospitals are overwhelmed...people will die..

Also this virus spreads very quickly, most people don't know they have it.  5% get seriously ill and need medical intervention....ventilators etc.  Without that intervention they will die.  Medical staff get sick further reducing the hospitals ability to respond.  China experienced this and quickly built hospitals to treat to sudden increase in people needing medical care.

The death rate in Italy was high because their medical system was overwhelmed and their only choice was to shutdown the country to slow the spread of the virus and lower the number of people needing medical intervention.  The doctors in hospitals had to choose who to treat and who to let die due to lack of ventilators etc.

As for our hobby.  A shutdown of your city or state or country will give you plenty of time for your hobby.  So I see this as a good thing for our hobby and a chance to reduce your stash.

As an individual...the best thing you can do is slow down the spread of this virus so your medical system does not get overwhelmed. 

2 hours ago, SBARC said:

As an individual...the best thing you can do is slow down the spread of this virus so your medical system does not get overwhelmed. 

My company - in the medical industry - asked me to travel by air next week to support another district. I had a brief and very pointed conversation with my boss. “You want me to go stand in long lines in a crowded airport, then sit shoulder to shoulder with a hundred or more people in a confined enclosed space for several hours?”  I had to explain the concept of social distancing, avoiding large public gatherings, and risk groups (I’m over 60) then told him not only was my health more important than this job but, as a company in the MEDICAL industry, we have a moral responsibility to minimize actions that could spread this disease. 

We’ll see if I still have a job tomorrow....

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

My company - in the medical industry - asked me to travel by air next week to support another district. I had a brief and very pointed conversation with my boss. “You want me to go stand in long lines in a crowded airport, then sit shoulder to shoulder with a hundred or more people in a confined enclosed space for several hours?”  I had to explain the concept of social distancing, avoiding large public gatherings, and risk groups (I’m over 60) then told him not only was my health more important than this job but, as a company in the MEDICAL industry, we have a moral responsibility to minimize actions that could spread this disease. 

We’ll see if I still have a job tomorrow....

Smart move on your part.

I have a summer job driving cruise ship passengers around in a bus doing tours etc.  I told the boss for that job the other day  was not driving any cruise ship tours this summer.  I really don't care if I lose the job.  I am almost 60 and  have other risk factors that make me a prime candidate for complications from this virus.

I am very sorry to see what is happening in Italy and very sorry for all the ones lost to this virus! The situation is very bad!

We are close to the same situation here in Hungary, just keep fingers crossed that it will not get that bad. I can only say again that the organizers of Moson show took a very responsible decision to cancel the show well before officials and the government seen the seriousness of the situation.

Very sorry for all the Italians! Keep your heads up!

We will win and get through this (I hope).

There is enough in the stash to keep me going for some time, so there is some good news in this also!

Gabor

Most of us aren't practicing handwashing, social distancing, and other tactics directed by medical practitioners to save ourselves from dying.  We're doing it because:

1. We have friends and family in higher-risk categories, and we don't want to lose them, or see them suffer a life-changing medical emergency. 
  2. We don't wish to see our healthcare systems overwhelmed with cases, such that people can't undergo proper treatment for COVID 19 or other, unrelated medical problems.  

This isn't hysteria because if we aren't personally at risk of dying from COVID 19 complications, for people we know COVID 19 is a greater risk than common strains of flu.  That is, we care about other people.

As for the hoarding?  If it's irrational, it is a self-perpetuating cycle where things seem more disastrous, and then because of panic, become so.  When I was at the supermarket this morning, I saw as many people just trying to do their weekly shopping, but whom were scared and depressed at seeing the aftermath of panic.  I exchanged jokes with those I could, and with employees.  ("Notice how nobody hoards vegetables, or low-sodium options, even those that last for weeks?")

I also think that, with so many Americans' retirement income dependent on publicly-traded investments over which they have zero influence, the stock markets' behaviors have as much to do with peoples' hysterical behavior.  That, too, might be considered a public health problem.  

All that said, it is pretty awesome to have a hobby that can withstand "social distancing," although the phrase is a bit misplaced, when one considers how lively message boards such as this one can be.

Edited by Fishwelding