Coronavirus affecting the hobby???

It is pretty fine now, however might get worse. Despite the information that virus survival without living host is counted in hours (thus all goods shipped by the sea are considered as safe) we might expect a shot coming from another side. For example my company (warehousing) have already stated yesterday, that in case of a single confirmed infection case the whole site will be shut down for quarantine. I believe that nearby port of Antwerp may take similar action. I don't have to say that it may lead to problems with restocking supplies which are being shipped by sea freight. It is yet unknown how long will the epidemy last but it may eventually have influence on importing 2020 news to Europe (such as for me GWH's Su-27UB, F-14A, ZM's F-4E are), along with some consumables like MLT or Tamiya's LT which are often in scarce in western european shops. If the quarantine will last long enough we may experience some problems with paints also.

I just hope that it will end soon, however I assume we are somewhere at the beginning of the epidemy here in Europe.

56 minutes ago, Fishwelding said:

This isn't hysteria because if we aren't personally at risk of dying from COVID 19 complications, for people we know COVID 19 is a greater risk than common strains of flu.  That is, we care about other people.

Cancelling Moson show was a very difficult decision but the only one. Not because of hysteria as expressed on some forums in Europe but because of care for everyone attending the event and the responsibility that the organizers have.

People from all over the world come to that single weekend and with the same speed fly off to different home destination to their loved ones, to their children. Is it sensible to put them to the risk of contracting anything?

There are hundreds of volunteers helping the organizers, most of them are local students. They inevitably come in close contact with all the visitors of the show. It is not possible to take responsibility for their health in such a situation.

Our parents have lived through second world war or the uprising in 1956 so they know exactly what it is like to be locked away for longer time with no movement, no shops, no supplies . . .   It is not possible to prepare for everything but some basic stocks do exist in every house hold.

And anyway that toilet paper will not go sour and be toilet paper in a years time too unless you have some really bad food and will have to use it all.  : )  : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I am very sorry to see what is happening in Italy and very sorry for all the ones lost to this virus! The situation is very bad!

We are close to the same situation here in Hungary, just keep fingers crossed that it will not get that bad. I can only say again that the organizers of Moson show took a very responsible decision to cancel the show well before officials and the government seen the seriousness of the situation.

Very sorry for all the Italians! Keep your heads up!

We will win and get through this (I hope).

There is enough in the stash to keep me going for some time, so there is some good news in this also!

Gabor

I too am very distressed by what the Italians are going through. I have heard that it has gotten so bad in some areas that the healthcare system is on the verge of collapse. Doctors are being forced to make decisions on who shall receive care and live and who shall not. That is a terrible position to place doctors in.

Another disturbing item I heard is that the infection rate curve in the USA is matching that of the Italy.  Of course, lack of testing here makes it impossible to truly know where we are as far as infection rates.

Well nothing for it but to batten down the hatches and try to wait for the storm to pass. It amazing how fragile our society is when faced with something like this. It is shameful that our current government cut funding for the CDC. I sure hope this serves as a wake up call that we need to be better prepared.

23 minutes ago, Mstor said:

...It is shameful that our current government cut funding for the CDC. I sure hope this serves as a wake up call that we need to be better prepared.

"CDC operating budget plans show that its funding for global public health protection — which includes global disease detection and emergency response and global public health capacity — increased from $58 million in fiscal year 2017 to around $108 million in fiscal years 2018 and 2019. (And that does not include any remaining supplemental funds available for use.) The increases included nearly $50 million more each year for CDC’s global health security initiatives."

The above from this article:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claim-about-cdcs-global-anti-pandemic-work/

I think this goes back to some peoples issue with the media. There seems to be a great deal of misinformation/disinformation being spread and political posturing all around. Perhaps its best if we could adhere to ARC's "No Politics" rule?  This pandemic is enough for most folks to wrap their heads around without this thread devolving into a political mud slinging contest.

My two cents.

Stay safe and healthy all.

51 minutes ago, Don said:

"CDC operating budget plans show that its funding for global public health protection — which includes global disease detection and emergency response and global public health capacity — increased from $58 million in fiscal year 2017 to around $108 million in fiscal years 2018 and 2019. (And that does not include any remaining supplemental funds available for use.) The increases included nearly $50 million more each year for CDC’s global health security initiatives."

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing out my error.

3 hours ago, Don said:

I think this goes back to some peoples issue with the media. There seems to be a great deal of misinformation/disinformation being spread and political posturing all around. Perhaps its best if we could adhere to ARC's "No Politics" rule?  This pandemic is enough for most folks to wrap their heads around without this thread devolving into a political mud slinging contest.

My two cents.

Stay safe and healthy all.

I agree...for once let's pull together and help each other get through this.  Very few governments are really handling this crisis well.  There seems to be too much "too little too late" going on with all governments. 

Korea seems to have ramped things up the best.

Sadly there is a certain percentage of people still going on cruise ships or flying or saying it is just a flu etc and then not self isolating after their trip because they do not feel sick.  The people that will pay for their ignorance will be the older members of society.

The young people need to step up and get supplies for their grandparents etc.

No effects on Me. I don't travel to Euro model Expo in Lingen (Ger). They cancelled the show and got a new date in August.

I have now time to build models.......Not seeing models and talk about it. 🤣

It's affecting one of my other numerous hobbies - flyfishing.

Was supposed to fly to New Zealand for a week of trout fishing on Thursday, but due to the NZ & today the Oz self-isolation rules for travelers, we've had to pull the pin.

But fear not - we are scrambling to switch to Tasmania instead 😁

7 hours ago, SBARC said:

I agree...for once let's pull together and help each other get through this.  Very few governments are really handling this crisis well.  There seems to be too much "too little too late" going on with all governments. 

Korea seems to have ramped things up the best.

Sadly there is a certain percentage of people still going on cruise ships or flying or saying it is just a flu etc and then not self isolating after their trip because they do not feel sick.  The people that will pay for their ignorance will be the older members of society.

The young people need to step up and get supplies for their grandparents etc.

We should pay attention to what Korea is doing, testing over 10,000 a day! 

Taiwan also has had a great response that isn’t getting much press on how they prepared and locked down travel on Dec. 31st

My parents are in their 80s. Some health issues, but still active seniors. We’ve locked them down. My siblings and I ( we’re  all in our mid 40s-50s) are getting them groceries once a week and we’re not even going in, saying hello through the screen door and leaving the items on the porch. 

And yes, sadly we also have non immediate family members who are still planning trips, travel, etc....”I’m not worried it’s just a bad flu”. We’ve made clear they are not to visit our parents.

I'm on a cruise ship FB page and the sheer number of people who were / still are complaining that the cruise they are on can't dock at certain ports, is delayed, etc was amazing.    If you went on a cruise in the last few weeks, you forfeit any right to complain about travel interruptions, being quarantined, etc.    The typical snide comment is - I'm young and healthy, so who cares.   No thought given to any elderly or at-risk people that could end up being infected by these self-centered tossers.

Regardless, to be honest, I'm less concerned about the virus.  What really concerns me is the deviating impact it's having (and which is only going to get worse as business shut down and the mass layoff's start) to the economy.   Things are going to get much worse before they get better.

From a hobby standpoint, I'm getting ready to dive into my 1/32 Tamiya Mosquito.   As always, modeling is a great way to keep your mind off doom and gloom issues.    My only concern is making sure I'm stocked up on all the paints and supplies I need in the event that business / postal deliveries are disrupted. 

I think this illustration explains the problem clearly and why it is important to act as fast as possible. There are people who dont believe in this epidemic, say it is only hysteria. Tell this to those families who lost their loved ones, and they number is increasing day by day. In case of Italy 100-200 per day. This is bad and far more than a simple flu!

The illustration is from a twitter page.

fpEol6M.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I think this illustration explains the problem clearly and why it is important to act as fast as possible. There are people who dont believe in this epidemic, say it is only hysteria. Tell this to those families who lost their loved ones, and they number is increasing day by day. In case of Italy 100-200 per day. This is bad and far more than a simple flu!

The illustration is from a twitter page.

fpEol6M.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

I have been watching these updates since. 1 Feb. this one explains flattening the curve. He has other videos that cover treatments that are ongoing. Some of those treatments from his videos are covered here in this article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8115879/COVID-19-Australian-researchers-CURE-coronavirus.html
In Seattle today they will be starting human trials on a vaccine, one of so many in development

Edited by USAFsparkchaser

Here only 70% is available (if available) at chemists. : (   : (   It is not bad but not the best for painting. 

OK, for internal disinfection I still have some good old single malt 15 year old Glenfiddich. : )  : )  Well it is only 43% but the taste is excellent!  : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

41 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Here only 70% is available (if available) at chemists. : (   : (   It is not bad but not the best for painting. 

OK, for internal disinfection I still have some good old single malt 15 year old Glenfiddich. : )  : )  Well it is only 43% but the taste is excellent!  : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Internal.....I picked up a 16yr and A'bunadh by Aberlour. Also picked up a 22yro Costco Kirkland Scotch that is verrrryyyy good. I'm a slow sipper so these will last me the duration. 

On 3/14/2020 at 9:01 PM, Mstor said:

It amazing how fragile our society is when faced with something like this. It is shameful that our current government cut funding for the CDC. I sure hope this serves as a wake up call that we need to be better prepared.

There's no amount of funding for the CDC that can make for a responsible society. its up to the individual as it always should be, citizens need to be better prepared from the start. if everyone prepped you wouldn't see the run on guns and food and TP.  You need to be your own master, in charge of your own welfare not relying on DC budget battles to break your way. The CDC budget could be quadrupled and it still may not have mattered in terms of if people have enough food on hand, or even basic survival preparations. 

Its "shameful" people are relying on DC bureaucrats to save them. this lesson gets relearned the hard way over and over again. What amount of funding could we have given the CDC to help Europe ? this is about as political as I can get. If I go any further I'll get the thread locked down or banned so I won't 

A lot of this could be mitigated if people weren't relying on someone to come "Save them" No idea how this changes the landscape going forward, but the limitations of government are already being seen and perhaps people will learn again, at least for a while. And thats not a political thing. People are already doing the hard math that turns out, theres no amount of beds that can handle a stupid population. The safety net will never be big enough. The best thing you can do for your country and the first responders and CDC is to not be a victim. Youre one less person for them to worry about in an emergency. If we all took care of ourselves, it'd be a lot easier to help those who genuinely can't help themselves

I'm very bitter because my local and state government had to do things like ban fossil fuels by 2045, and we banned grocery bags for the city (very helpful and super convenient to bring everything in by hand), and we have passed a whole bunch of laws here none of which had to do with the big problems their supposed to be handling. My state per capita has the highest number of seniors in the nations and our concern is free city bus fair. There no infrastructure planning or emergency preparedness. We are worried about banning things 2 and a half decades away. now all these "smart people" have found themselves woefully unprepared for basic things like disease.  They don't have the planning or the capacity and they know it. The things they thought mattered just 2 weeks ago look like a bad joke now. I mean the loss of freedoms has been great but the micromanagement has been almost as good. Thank god I won't be using plastic bags, while my neighbors drop all around me. we've had a massive crime, poverty, drug, and homeless problem for years, so my bar was very low already but theyv'e somehow manged to slime even below that.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
3 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

Internal.....I picked up a 16yr and A'bunadh by Aberlour. Also picked up a 22yro Costco Kirkland Scotch that is verrrryyyy good. I'm a slow sipper so these will last me the duration. 

Well I have some Belvenie Doublewood 12yr really good  some Gretzky 99  middle of the road,Tanqueray Rangpur gin very interesting, Havana Club 7 Cuban. Also some Rocky Patel 1990 Toros, 300 kits and retired. Time to hunker in the bunker.

Stay safe everybody

Ken   

On 3/7/2020 at 12:40 AM, Don said:

Bathroom one of three is stocked-locked-and-ready-to-rock!

Image result for toilet paper hoard stash

And the TP stash:

Image result for toilet paper stash

Stocked up on food to match:

Image result for canned chili hoard

Hmmm...glad we have all that TP :hmmm:.

:woot.gif:

Happy modeling all!

Did you really go out and buy a load of toilet rolls?

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Did you really go out and buy a load of toilet rolls?

LOL nope not at all. Zoom in on the boxes and read the label :thumbsup:. Just trying to lighten the mood during these trying times is all.

8 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

There's no amount of funding for the CDC that can make for a responsible society. its up to the individual as it always should be, citizens need to be better prepared from the start. if everyone prepped you wouldn't see the run on guns and food and TP.  You need to be your own master, in charge of your own welfare not relying on DC budget battles to break your way. The CDC budget could be quadrupled and it still may not have mattered in terms of if people have enough food on hand, or even basic survival preparations. 

Its "shameful" people are relying on DC bureaucrats to save them. this lesson gets relearned the hard way over and over again. What amount of funding could we have given the CDC to help Europe ? this is about as political as I can get. If I go any further I'll get the thread locked down or banned so I won't 

A lot of this could be mitigated if people weren't relying on someone to come "Save them" No idea how this changes the landscape going forward, but the limitations of government are already being seen and perhaps people will learn again, at least for a while. And thats not a political thing. People are already doing the hard math that turns out, theres no amount of beds that can handle a stupid population. The safety net will never be big enough. The best thing you can do for your country and the first responders and CDC is to not be a victim. Youre one less person for them to worry about in an emergency. If we all took care of ourselves, it'd be a lot easier to help those who genuinely can't help themselves

I'm very bitter because my local and state government had to do things like ban fossil fuels by 2045, and we banned grocery bags for the city (very helpful and super convenient to bring everything in by hand), and we have passed a whole bunch of laws here none of which had to do with the big problems their supposed to be handling. My state per capita has the highest number of seniors in the nations and our concern is free city bus fair. There no infrastructure planning or emergency preparedness. We are worried about banning things 2 and a half decades away. now all these "smart people" have found themselves woefully unprepared for basic things like disease.  They don't have the planning or the capacity and they know it. The things they thought mattered just 2 weeks ago look like a bad joke now. I mean the loss of freedoms has been great but the micromanagement has been almost as good. Thank god I won't be using plastic bags, while my neighbors drop all around me. we've had a massive crime, poverty, drug, and homeless problem for years, so my bar was very low already but theyv'e somehow manged to slime even below that.

I can't support this enough.  Now we are seeing the potential loss of millions to the service industry and the closure of so many small businesses, no proposal for 1000 a month will fix that loss. 

On 3/8/2020 at 7:11 AM, Dave Williams said:

Depends on your definition of “serious”.  Yes, it’s highly infectious, but also rarely deadly.  A fatality rate of 3.4% is very low compared to the mortality rate of most of the other diseases listed on the table.

Not if 70-80% of the world is infected with this particular virus.

12 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

....we banned grocery bags for the city (very helpful and super convenient to bring everything in by hand), and we have passed a whole bunch of laws here none of which had to do with the big problems their supposed to be handling. My state per capita has the highest number of seniors in the nations and our concern is free city bus fair.

But it got them (re)elected, that’s about as far as any politician can see.

12 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Wow, so, I should have been stocked up with weeks and weeks of food and T-Paper at all times? Never mind that I have no room for all this stuff. As for as the CDC, I was already corrected on their funding, which hasn't decreased. I am not looking for someone to save me. I doing the best I can to find and purchase what my lady and I need. I will probably stack stuff in the living room if I actually get the stuff I have ordered online. I am disabled and am very limited on how much time I can spend on my feet. I am not asking for the government to "save" me.

It is the CDC's responsibility to manage responses to major health crises. This includes ensuring that testing supplies are available and that proper instructions are disseminated regarding appropriate safety procedures, which in this case is self-isolation, sanitation and disinfection practices among others.

I don't know what you think on the subject of global warming, but many of the seemingly silly things like banning things that 2 and a half decades away is because if we don't act now, we will pass the tipping point and won't be able to forestall the coincidences of global warming.

Anyway, I resent the implication that I am looking for the government to save me. I worked hard all my life, until my health failed. Yes, I was on disability for a number of years (transfers over to regular SS at retirement age). I paid into that system for years. I didn't ask for handouts. Maybe you don't think people should rely on Social Security and Medicare, but they are what keep me and my lady alive (she is more disabled than I). I earned what I get. It might not be a lot, but we manage to get by.

Nuf' said.