Coronavirus affecting the hobby???

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

I don't know what you think on the subject of global warming, but many of the seemingly silly things like banning things that 2 and a half decades away is because if we don't act now, we will pass the tipping point and won't be able to forestall the coincidences of global warming.

It's not the best place for conspiracy theories.

So my situation is probably the opposite of most..I have LESS time to work on models.

My job will most likely never close, so I have to work..and as hourly employees (I am salaried) self-quarantine (no positive cases yet) I end up working more and more to cover the gaps. My wife is also still working and as she just came off maternity leave we need as much $$ as possible now to get caught up.

As well, my oldest's daycare provider has closed (home daycare provider who is older and doesn't want to chance it) so I am now tryign to keep a 4 year old occupied during the day while hoping my twin's  daycare provider doesn't also decide to close.  I am on evenings this week so it isn't too hard to manage during the day, but when I go back to mornings next week I am not sure who will be watching my oldest.. 

Rant over..

Sean

I have a friend with a PhD in epidemiology, who has worked for the CDC and USAMRIID and has done things like gone to Africa to play with Ebola.

She's currently head of her office's Corona program.  She though this was a worthwhile video on COVID-19 for under 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtN-goy9VOY

9 hours ago, Horrido said:

I have a friend with a PhD in epidemiology, who has worked for the CDC and USAMRIID and has done things like gone to Africa to play with Ebola.

She's currently head of her office's Corona program.  She though this was a worthwhile video on COVID-19 for under 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtN-goy9VOY

If you can contact her (due to the heavy workload she's having at the moment), ask her what will happen if the virus becomes endemic.

If you wonder what it means, just have a look at an old science fiction movie with Bruce Willis. I think it's called "The 12 Monkeys".

And I'm saying this because the brits say it will take 3 months to see the first signs of recovery from the virus. A few days ago, President Trump said it might take 18 months.

I simply don't like this whole situation. Even if we consider the conspiracy theories that some people release from time to time, things don't look good.

Nonetheless, I keep my optimism high and pray.

3 hours ago, SERNAK said:

If you can contact her (due to the heavy workload she's having at the moment), ask her what will happen if the virus becomes endemic.

If you wonder what it means, just have a look at an old science fiction movie with Bruce Willis. I think it's called "The 12 Monkeys".

And I'm saying this because the brits say it will take 3 months to see the first signs of recovery from the virus. A few days ago, President Trump said it might take 18 months.

I simply don't like this whole situation. Even if we consider the conspiracy theories that some people release from time to time, things don't look good.

Nonetheless, I keep my optimism high and pray.

I’d trust the three month info over the eighteen month info.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I’d trust the three month info over the eighteen month info.

Which is actually closer to what the President said on his March 16 update to the nation, not 18 months. He said July-August but the economic ramifications will last longer (which is correct and possibly where this 18 month figure came from?). Honestly, there is so much contradictory information, misinformation, and disinformation  being posted everyday by all media sources that it borders on criminal. All we can do is look after our families and communities and ride this out. 

On a hobby related note and in an effort to alleviate some of the doom and gloom, has anyone had any positives come from all of this hobby wise? "Affecting the hobby" doesn't have to be negative. I have got more done this last week then I have in months. Been on an armor kick and have a Sturmgeschutz IV ready for primer (6 days work time so far), an IS-3M almost ready for primer (same 6 days work time), and a Panther G about a quarter of the way done (2 days work time). Even my son has joined me and he's working on a 1/72 Abrams.  We've been enjoying our evenings with good music, conversation,  and the smell of styrene.

Anybody else?

Happy modeling!

Last weekend was good. Now I am being "strongly encouraged" to work more> 60 hours this week. Hopefully we don't get to being ordered in, or worse yet, not permitted to go home.

Can't close down jails, if I did not show up it would be "Lord of the flies" in there after 20 seconds. So far so good...….

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Last weekend was good. Now I am being "strongly encouraged" to work more> 60 hours this week. Hopefully we don't get to being ordered in, or worse yet, not permitted to go home.

Can't close down jails, if I did not show up it would be "Lord of the flies" in there after 20 seconds. So far so good...….

Well, you could close jails. As my father used to say, “lock them up and throw away the keys.”

6 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Problem is we should only be mentioning the scientists and medical professionals who are factual.

Leave the politicians out of this, especially any who exaggerate the truth.

Agreed. All politicians everywhere including those who hide from the truth :thumbsup:.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Well, you could close jails. As my father used to say, “lock them up and throw away the keys.”

As much as we all sometimes wish we could...…..still humans. (most of them) Of course a few would not be missed by society. Now, if we could put them up on the ice flows...……...

2 hours ago, Don said:

Even my son has joined me and he's working on a 1/72 Abrams.  We've been enjoying our evenings with good music, conversation,  and the smell of styrene.

Happy modeling!

For me this is the most encouraging message/fact that I've heard lately.

Finally, our kids moving away from their smartphones, tablets, etc., and getting involved with more entertaining and mind-engaging activities.

Thus, as Don said, happy modeling!!!

9 hours ago, phantom said:

As much as we all sometimes wish we could...…..still humans. (most of them) Of course a few would not be missed by society. Now, if we could put them up on the ice flows...……...

I get it, I have a few friends who are prison guards. Being in the system you see they are still human.

21 hours ago, SERNAK said:

Sent her the question, waiting for her response.  In the meantime, I'm using the historical documentaries 12 Monkeys, I am Legend, and World War Z for reference and guidance.

Not well-knowing the nature of the virus, my biggest concern is that it maintains its devastating nature while mutating as rapidly as the common cold, thus, we never develop a social immunity to it, and it becomes a treadmill of critical cases and death year-after-year-after-year.

Also, as a side note, have those of us from different countries and cultures been comparing notes on how the situation is being handled by the authorities and how it's being reported on in the media?

6 hours ago, Scooby said:

I get it, I have a few friends who are prison guards. Being in the system you see they are still human.

We have a moderate security prison in our county seat farm burg. One fellow from model train club and one fellow from creative writers group each work there. The incarcerated seem to be what I guess would be a standard human mix of the misguided, the pathological, the unfortunate, and the manipulative.

Which things also seem to apply to current coronavirus responses out in the general public.

Edited by southwestforests
left out a verb
On 3/4/2020 at 1:56 AM, habu2 said:

Of all the possible ways coronavirus could impact our lives, don’t you think a hobby - any hobby - would be pretty low on the list?

Bravo 

Not well-knowing the nature of the virus, my biggest concern is that it maintains its devastating nature while mutating as rapidly as the common cold, thus, we never develop a social immunity to it, and it becomes a treadmill of critical cases and death year-after-year-after-year.

We are moving in uncharted waters. At first, I thought we should have taken stricter measures. Now, I'm thinking what can happen in 18-or so, months when the first vaccine will be available. Is it going to be compulsory?

Also, as a side note, have those of us from different countries and cultures been comparing notes on how the situation is being handled by the authorities and how it's being reported on in the media?

I don't know how the authorities in different countries of the European continent are handling this situation but, I do know that the majority of the Italian fashion companies have their headquarters in Milan, and their factories in China.

So, it's no wonder how the situation turned out so badly in such a short time.

Edited by SERNAK
1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I was just listening to a report from England where a doctor is extremely concerned because they are getting wrong info or no info from their leaders and people are still going out and visiting pubs and other public gatherings. He was scared and quite angry at the behavior of the people there.

He made a statement yesterday (Boris Johnson), saying that all pubs restaurants, bars, etc., are closing, including schools. However, he didn't mention what the country's colleges and universities will do (we're talking about a lot of money. Only from China they have 200.000 students, with year-fees ranging from 9000 to 14000 pounds).

Edited by SERNAK

Sent her the question, waiting for her response.  In the meantime, I'm using the historical documentaries 12 Monkeys, I am Legend, and World War Z for reference and guidance.

I don't think (I'm hoping and praying to be honest) we will reach that point as shown in the movie "12 Monkeys", though it is possible if the virus becomes endemic.

Edited by SERNAK
3 minutes ago, SERNAK said:

However, he didn't mention what the country's colleges and universities will do (we're talking about a lot of money. Only from China they have 200.000 students, with year-fees ranging from 9000 to 14000 pounds).

Colleges and universities are facing this same dilemma everywhere that governments are forcing closures. Same for the bars and restaurants that are closing. This is going to be very hard on the economies of every country the virus strikes. What is important, though, is saving lives. Economies can be rebuilt, but not without the people who know how to run the businesses, the hospitals, the governments that make up that economy. First and foremost, our concern must be controlling the spread of the virus. This means massive testing to know where the virus is spreading. Then either self or forced isolation to prevent the further spread. Without testing, we are not going to know where the hot spots are. We will be flailing in the dark.