Coronavirus affecting the hobby???

On 3/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, Don said:

LOL nope not at all. Zoom in on the boxes and read the label :thumbsup:. Just trying to lighten the mood during these trying times is all.

Priceless!!!  :rofl:

13 hours ago, Mstor said:

I don't know what to say about what you have written. Are you saying that they'd be better off without the retirees and pensioners? Expendable collateral? Hopefully this is just a thought experiment you are indulging in. I would hate to think this is what you actually believe.

I have gotten the feeling this is what they plan to do in the UK.  Folks that are older or have suppressed immune systems really need to remove themselves from society in the UK until the virus is gone or until a vaccine is available.  Sadly this does mean a possible 600,000 dead in the UK until herd immunity is achieved.

13 hours ago, Mstor said:

Colleges and universities are facing this same dilemma everywhere that governments are forcing closures.

In Canada all post secondary quickly switched to online teaching and classes continue.

The hobby shop where I work has had one of it's busiest weeks, despite having reduced hours. Nobody was tire kicking. Lots of paint and supplies sold. We're going to be doing takeout and delivery orders going forward. I'm not getting any time off to build models.

1 hour ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

The hobby shop where I work has had one of it's busiest weeks, despite having reduced hours. Nobody was tire kicking. Lots of paint and supplies sold. We're going to be doing takeout and delivery orders going forward. I'm not getting any time off to build models.

It's good to hear that at least some businesses are doing good. Zactomodels, not so much.

Twelve years ago we made the choice to leave the big city (L.A.) and move to a small farm town in Idaho. While we do feel safer from the virus being relatively isolated, I am starting to worry about surviving financially and the future of Zactomodels.

If anybody had plans to buy Zactomodels goodies, ordering soon would be appreciated. During the past few weeks sales have dropped to almost nothing.

My wife works part time at a supermarket deli. They have cut her hours and are considering closing the deli until this passes.

Unfortunately there aren't many job opportunities close by and even then, nobody is hiring during these troubled times.

Chris

Look after your loved ones and stay safe...

We just received our " if you get pulled over by law enforcement, they have to let you go" notification letters yesterday because our jobs have been deemed essential by the government. Getting really serious now!

Tim

16 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

We just received our " if you get pulled over by law enforcement, they have to let you go" notification letters yesterday because our jobs have been deemed essential by the government.

Same here.  We are carrying a printed copy stating our "essential services" to show.

Dallas County has ordered "shelter in place" for all non-essential.  Today they shut down the taco stand down the street. 

Edited by habu2
1 minute ago, niart17 said:

And exactly how do you do that while at the same time keeping people from going to work? It's pretty hard to stay home and ramp up production wouldn't you say? And there are many companies that are doing exactly what you're saying. I'm not a liberty to give specifics on this because of a NDA, but trust me, many in the medical and food packaging industry are doing this on their own. Corporations don't always need the government to tell them what to do. Believe it or not, they kind of know their industry better than any government official. Just sayin'

Well, I'm glad you have some sort of insider information that companies are ramping up production. What I said above is that companies need to continue production, but in a responsible manner that does everything they can to minimize the risk to their workers. It won't do a company any good if all its employees suddenly come down with the virus. Who will do the work then? If companies doing essential work become outbreak hot spots, the situation will only worsen and the virus will spread more. I'm glad you place so much confidence in corporations. I "kinda" agree. I worked for a health care company for over 20 years and for the most part, those running (except at the very highest levels) it were some of the best people I ever met. Highly responsible and very ethical (won't surprise anyone here that many were ex-military). I don't, though, trust every company that should to ramp up production or switch production over to medical supplies.

28 minutes ago, Mstor said:

OK, one more post. This is a link to an article that I think explains some of the steps needed to combat the virus as set forth by medical experts. Take it for what its worth. I consider the information to be right on the mark.

https://news.yahoo.com/harsh-steps-needed-stop-coronavirus-114040150.html

I agree with large portion of that but some of it is even at odds with itself. For instance, saying we should halt all gatherings and motion (ok, fine we'll go with that premise) but then later saying that schools should NOT be shut down?!....ummm ok how does that work? Supposed to expose all the kids that ride buses to outbreak and bring that to the classroom to spread to the teachers and also back to their homes? Can't have it both ways.

Young kids use social media to do their own tracing....not sure exactly what they are intending here. People who are infected go on social media and announce where they've been and people trace the paths that way? That potentially would work. Or do they mean people are to become sleuths of their own and post where they THINK someone infected has been and report it to authorities etc...THAT could be very problematic.

Otherwise, some of what they say I 100% agree with. The rest is a little vague.

5 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I wonder if a world wide recession will have an impact on retail kit prices?  Thoughts?

Oh God, the price of kits will plummet. I was going to sell some of my stash, but its too late now. Everyone will wait till they can get them for pennies on the dollar. :whistle:

Just now, habu2 said:

We all may only have pennies instead of dollars... :crying:

No worry, I'll lend you some from my hoard of rare and valuable collectible coins. The ads assured me that their value would increase. I'm sure we can trade those for hard cash anywhere. :naughty:

2 hours ago, niart17 said:

Young kids use social media to do their own tracing....not sure exactly what they are intending here. People who are infected go on social media and announce where they've been and people trace the paths that way? That potentially would work. Or do they mean people are to become sleuths of their own and post where they THINK someone infected has been and report it to authorities etc...THAT could be very problematic.

I read that Israel's secret service has software that can track individuals, and is to be used to track infected individuals, using social media. Same concept??

BTW, I was also a little confused by the part about schools. But, the rest is, in my mind,  good.

5 hours ago, niart17 said:

I agree with large portion of that but some of it is even at odds with itself. For instance, saying we should halt all gatherings and motion (ok, fine we'll go with that premise) but then later saying that schools should NOT be shut down?!....ummm ok how does that work? Supposed to expose all the kids that ride buses to outbreak and bring that to the classroom to spread to the teachers and also back to their homes? Can't have it both ways.

Otherwise, some of what they say I 100% agree with. The rest is a little vague.

Schools are closed.....

33 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Welcome to 2003...  :coolio:

Yea, but its extra special super secret ultra-mega powerful, with a bang! Probably has hi-def graphics, like 800x600 with 16 colors. Makes my mouth water just to think of it. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

I wonder if a world wide recession will have an impact on retail kit prices?  Thoughts?

My take would be an increase in the price of kits. Production would drop, less kits means cost spread across fewer kits, companies going out of business may lead to fewer distibutors, meaning less competition.

I don't think 2008 led to kits getting cheaper.

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

Schools are closed.....

Yup, I understand that. Most schools are closed. What I meant was in that article listing suggestions we should be doing, they questioned the idea of closing schools and said that might be a bad idea. I was pointing out that it kind of goes against the first part of their suggestions about everyone staying home. That's all. Just seemed like 2 conflicting ideas. 

11 hours ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

I don't think 2008 led to kits getting cheaper.

I agree. Especially, Japanese kits like Hasegawa had a significant increase. This will probably happen again (thank goodness I have a stock of my favourite Hasegawa kits!!!).

On 3/22/2020 at 6:42 AM, SBARC said:

I have gotten the feeling this is what they plan to do in the UK.  Folks that are older or have suppressed immune systems really need to remove themselves from society in the UK until the virus is gone or until a vaccine is available.  Sadly this does mean a possible 600,000 dead in the UK until herd immunity is achieved.

Sorry Steve but the entire country has gone on lockdown with everybody expected to stay at home except for essential journeys for food and medicine. Obviously essential workers are still working for us. The herd immunity idea has been abandoned (thank goodness) and we hope to loose as few people as possible. Like every other country, we pray for a vaccine to be discovered.

In the meantime I'll stay at home and work my way throughthe stash.