Coronavirus affecting the hobby???

11 hours ago, Mstor said:

You have captured the essence of it quite well Steve. Without social distancing, this will quickly get out of hand and I fear for myself and everyone else.  Even with it, it will most likely get very bad. I'm scared. I don't want to go out, but I have to, to get medicines, certain necessities (T-paper is only being sold in store by the grocery store, they won't deliver it.)  I'm in the high risk category. If I get sick, my lady friend won't be able to take care of herself. Jesus, this whole thing has got me freaked out. And here people are arguing over whether its more important to keep the economy going or social distance. As if human life is some quantity to be weighed and measured in some equation.

You can buy N95 masks on Amazon....it blocks the virus.  I hang my used N95 masks over a heater for 5 days....then reuse them I only have 5....gave the other 5 on my ten pack to daughters etc).  I use the respirator type.  It protects me but not the people around me.  I always strip of my clothes as soon as I come through the front door....then go straight into the shower.  After the shower I put on clean (virus free) indoor clothes.  Outdoor clothes go into a laundry hamper inside the front door.  My wife takes my phone when I get home and steralizes it with alcohol.  The home must be kept as a clean zone.  It is only my wife and I living here so it is easy.  She prefers to stay home.  Wearing glasses protects the eyes from infection.  I consider everything outside the home to be infected with the virus.  I do not wear gloves but I do wash my hands for 20 seconds if I eat outside the home.  I try to only eat food at home.  Any packaging we buy....groceries is left by the front door for a week for the virus to die....as long as it isn't something that needs to go in the fridge.

Keep the virus outside of your home....protec5t your nose, mouth and eyes when you go outside of the home and try to avoid all human contact outside the home.  Do not let anyone outside of your home visit your home.

Like you my wife can not survive financially on her own.

23 hours ago, Mstor said:

But is the USA testing as much as S Korea? I'm not sure but would hazard to say, no. Without massive and widespread testing, you really don't have a handle on how widespread the virus is. As has been mentioned, many get a mild case, think it flu or a cold and just weather it on there own. They aren't reported and they may have been a virus vector, spreading it to many others. That's another reason testing is so critical, so that you can isolate anyone infected.

But my numbers only consider the numbers of deaths as compared to the total population so testing does not enter into that.  Now I would think that in 2 weeks the lack of early testing in the USA will cause the USA numbers to surge past Korea....but for now the USA seems to be doing much better than we thought when compared to S Korea.

As I say.....it will be interesting to compare the numbers in 2 weeks.

Here's a train to model with 1/87 or 1/48 military vehicles and helicopters while you are locked down or self isolating,

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/730257/

The Train That Struck Fear Into Los Angeles. Traversing the southern end of the ex-SP coast line, an eastbound military train, heavily laden with tanks, passes the Santa Susana Depot and Museum under threatening skies. Amid the current COVID-19 Pandemic and the state's "Stay At Home" executive order, this train quickly became a trending topic in the local media, with multiple news helicopters even following it at one point, as it traveled through Los Angeles County. Why such a focus on an equipment move that has happened dozens of times before? As it turns out, beginning in Chatsworth, some folks in the general public who saw and shot video of this train quickly took to social media...questioning if the equipment aboard would be unloaded in Los Angeles and used to enforce martial law! This led to representatives from Naval Base Ventura County, Los Angeles County and even City of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti having to announce that no martial law order had been made and that this train was part of a regular, routine movement of equipment.

And we now present today’s episode of “PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS”
Stay tuned for part 2, “The Media Are Idiots!”
“multiple news helicopters even following it at one point “ Seriously? 🙄

1 hour ago, SBARC said:

You can buy N95 masks on Amazon....it blocks the virus.  I hang my used N95 masks over a heater for 5 days....then reuse them I only have 5....gave the other 5 on my ten pack to daughters etc).  I use the respirator type.  It protects me but not the people around me.  I always strip of my clothes as soon as I come through the front door....then go straight into the shower.  After the shower I put on clean (virus free) indoor clothes.  Outdoor clothes go into a laundry hamper inside the front door.  My wife takes my phone when I get home and steralizes it with alcohol.  The home must be kept as a clean zone.  It is only my wife and I living here so it is easy.  She prefers to stay home.  Wearing glasses protects the eyes from infection.  I consider everything outside the home to be infected with the virus.  I do not wear gloves but I do wash my hands for 20 seconds if I eat outside the home.  I try to only eat food at home.  Any packaging we buy....groceries is left by the front door for a week for the virus to die....as long as it isn't something that needs to go in the fridge.

Keep the virus outside of your home....protec5t your nose, mouth and eyes when you go outside of the home and try to avoid all human contact outside the home.  Do not let anyone outside of your home visit your home.

Like you my wife can not survive financially on her own.

An N95 mask helps but you also need to be properly sized and trained how to use it.

During our training we use a glow in the dark aerosol, you’d be surprised how many trained healthcare workers have poorly sealed masks, which is revealed when we turn the black light on in the classroom. In some classes 100% failure.

I’m lucky, I work in a sterile lab everyday. I’m always gowned.

But everything you are doing is an excellent practice. Not sure about the groceries though.

My wife was just recalled to work in the ICU. She worked there for 20 plus years, she haven’t work there for ten years. I don’t know how I feel about that.

2 hours ago, SBARC said:

But my numbers only consider the numbers of deaths as compared to the total population so testing does not enter into that.  Now I would think that in 2 weeks the lack of early testing in the USA will cause the USA numbers to surge past Korea....but for now the USA seems to be doing much better than we thought when compared to S Korea.

As I say.....it will be interesting to compare the numbers in 2 weeks.

Per capita the US is testing lower than anyone in the world. That is what matters.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:19 PM, niart17 said:

Another thing that I'm curious to find out eventually is what percentage of the deaths attributed to Covid-19 would normally have crossed over to deaths from flu. If we find that the number of flu related deaths decreases this year at or about the same number as are attributed to Covid-19, AND they are of the same age/health goups. It may be that this is no different. It is odd that hospitals seemed to be overrun so quickly when the total numbers don't reflect they should be. I suppose its due to the quickness of the spread and not so much the total rate over time. No matter what, this is a bad situation for everyone. I pray we don't make it worse on ourselves by doing the wrong thing or not doing the right. Time will tell.

51 medical doctors treating covid-19 patients have died in Italy. How many doctors treating people with the flu die? And these numbers don’t include the larger number of nurses and other healthcare workers who have died.

I don’t know, you sure appear to be downplaying this crisis and maybe it is your way to deal with the stress of it. A higher percentage of the world will catch covid-19. Which means the 10% of those who die will be a greater number than those who succumb to the flu.

The best way to avoid covid-19 is to not touch your nose, wash your hands, and social distancing.

It is really disturbing how Trump is dealing with this, very concerning how he is going to handle it, despite what his health experts are saying. I think the US is going to be far worse than Italy. Look at the USS Roosevelt? Healthy sailors are sick with covid-19.

How about everyone stop bashing the US and the POTUS and keep your opinions of the US/POTUS to yourself.

If you are going to bash someone's country and their elected leader then you better be prepared for someone to start bashing your country and your elected leaders, after all, fair is fair right?

50 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Look at the USS Roosevelt? Healthy sailors are sick with covid-19.

Have you ever served on a warship?

It's very easy for healthy sailors to get sick on a warship, trust me, I have over 4.5 years of actual time on Aircraft Carriers and every time I went out I got sick within the first two weeks, we called it "The Crud".

The Roosevelt is deployed to the Western Pacific, the sailors picked it up during a recent port visit.

14 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

How about everyone stop bashing the US and the POTUS and keep your opinions of the US/POTUS to yourself.

If you are going to bash someone's country and their elected leader then you better be prepared for someone to start bashing your country and your elected leaders, after all, fair is fair right?

Who is bashing him? His poor decisions are worrisome.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Who is bashing him? His poor decisions are worrisome.

It is really disturbing how Trump is dealing with this, very concerning how he is going to handle it, despite what his health experts are saying.

You.

Why don't you keep your opinion of MY president and MY country to yourself okay. How would you feel if I start bashing your PM and your country?

His "poor" decisions are your opinion, if you don't like them than don't vote for him, oh, wait, you're not an American citizen so what does it matter to you what President Trump and America does, you're Canadian, what ever MY country does won't affect you.

Edited by GW8345

He's not bashing America. He's critical of the President. That's two VERY different things. If you think they are the same, wow...... that's REALLY bad news.

16 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

<...> ...what ever MY country does won't affect you.

Ridiculous. It's a pandemic. It's a worldwide health emergency. Whatever one country does may well have effects in other countries. Heck, if one country had done the right thing and not tried to cover it up, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

14 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

He's not bashing America. He's critical of the President. That's two VERY different things. If you think they are the same, wow...... that's REALLY bad news.

Ridiculous. It's a pandemic. It's a worldwide health emergency. Whatever one country does may well have effects in other countries. Heck, if one country had done the right thing and not tried to cover it up, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Yes, he is.

And just about every country has gone on lock down so what we do here in America is not going to affect other countries unless we start spitting into the wind and it carries over the border.

If President Trump and America's handling of the crisis is so bad then explain why the mortality rate in America for the virus is 1.5% while the world wide mortality rate is 4.5% and England's is 5.2%.

America is not like any other country so stop thinking we should be doing what other countries are doing, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by GW8345

Humans are the same as far the virus is concerned. The virus doesn't care about nations.

As for Trump's and America's handling of the crisis, we will see how it will play out. I sure hope the powers that be will listen to the experts.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

I am an American and I find Trump's handling of the crisis extremely worrisome.  One thing you must remember, I can be critical of the current president and still be a patriotic citizen.  I do not find it offensive that people from other countries have opinions regarding our president's response to the crisis.  There have been failures of political leaders regarding the crisis in many countries.  I consider myself a world citizen. I am not just worried about our country, I am worried about all countries. We have a world economy. No country can stand alone. We need to learn from those countries that have or are going through the worst of the crisis, because it is going to happen here soon too.

What Steve is doing to protect himself and his wife is eye opening for me. I realize that I need to get much more serious about protecting myself and my "old lady". I've been distancing and avoiding going outside as much as possible. But the anti-contamination steps Steve is taking are things I am going to try to emulate as much as possible.

Thanks Steve for sharing that. That's the kind of info we need.

BTW, Harbor Freight canceled my order for plastic gloves. What pissed me off is that they sent me a e-mail notice stating that it was canceled because either I canceled it (I didn't) or that I did not give them approval to proceed with backordering it, which they never asked. If they want to divert the gloves for medical uses, that's fine, just don't lie and tell some BS story. People that need to go out could use these gloves too, but the hospitals and first responderes need them more. Just hope supply catches up with demand. On those and many other things.

If you think President Trump and America are mishandling the crisis then give specifics of exactly why you think that.

Funny, I don't see anyone bashing England or Italy about how they are handling the crisis, their mortality rate is 5.2% and 10.1% respectfully but Trump and America are mishandling this crisis and putting everyone in danger.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:19 PM, niart17 said:

<...> It is odd that hospitals seemed to be overrun so quickly when the total numbers don't reflect they should be. I suppose its due to the quickness of the spread and not so much the total rate over time. <...>

It's not that odd, really. You said it yourself: it's the quickness. Stretch a 100,000 infected persons over a flu season of several months and hospitals won't be overwhelmed. But when they all show up at the hospital in the space of two weeks, there simply aren't enough ventilators/doctors/nurses to take care of them all at the same time. And that's when it's time for the horrible decision which patient has the better chance of survival. Unimaginable what that must be like.

The total rate over time is difficult to determine as we're still in the middle of this, but the educated guesses say this is worse than the seasonal flu.

I mean, when the seasonal flu strains first hit populations, they were also far more deadly than they re now. That's where we are with this corona virus, the first encounter.

21 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

If you think President Trump and America are mishandling the crisis then give specifics of exactly why you think that.

Funny, I don't see anyone bashing England or Italy about how they are handling the crisis, their mortality rate is 5.2% and 10.1% respectfully but Trump and America are mishandling this crisis and putting everyone in danger.

No need to post facts, your mind is apparently made up. 

And there’s nothing funny about any of this. 

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

You.

Why don't you keep your opinion of MY president and MY country to yourself okay. How would you feel if I start bashing your PM and your country?

His "poor" decisions are your opinion, if you don't like them than don't vote for him, oh, wait, you're not an American citizen so what does it matter to you what President Trump and America does, you're Canadian, what ever MY country does won't affect you.

Wow, sensitive aren’t you?

Well you did ask what his poor decisions were.

In 2018 Trump shut-down the Pandemic Response Team and didn’t replace it with anything. When it came time to respond to the Coronavirus threat the US had no rulebook. This team would have been watching and responding to this pandemic immediately. This left the US without global health security unit within the NSC.

He didn’t heed warnings from Bill Gates and Ron Klain (Ebola expert) four years ago that the US wasn’t prepared to handle a pandemic.

He has been slow to react to everything, slow to close the border, slow to stop travel. And now he is suggesting social distancing isn’t the answer and is more worried about the economy.. He doesn’t listen to his advisors, Dr Anthony Fauci is one that he should be listening to. And his recommendation in regards to Chloroquine was dangerous, and at least one person has died after taking it.

And his name calling with the governors and the CEO of GM? Is that really necessary or productive? He also took far too long to invoke the Defense Production Act. He should have started production on ventilators and N95 masks a long time ago.

And if the US is decimated it does effect us in Canada, so yes we do have a vested interest in the well-being of the US. I also have friends and family living in the US. You are out of touch if you don’t think what happens in your country doesn’t effect Canada.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

I am an American and I find Trump's handling of the crisis extremely worrisome.  One thing you must remember, I can be critical of the current president and still be a patriotic citizen.  I do not find it offensive that people from other countries have opinions regarding our president's response to the crisis.  There have been failures of political leaders regarding the crisis in many countries.  I consider myself a world citizen. I am not just worried about our country, I am worried about all countries. We have a world economy. No country can stand alone. We need to learn from those countries that have or are going through the worst of the crisis, because it is going to happen here soon too.

What Steve is doing to protect himself and his wife is eye opening for me. I realize that I need to get much more serious about protecting myself and my "old lady". I've been distancing and avoiding going outside as much as possible. But the anti-contamination steps Steve is taking are things I am going to try to emulate as much as possible.

Thanks Steve for sharing that. That's the kind of info we need.

BTW, Harbor Freight canceled my order for plastic gloves. What pissed me off is that they sent me a e-mail notice stating that it was canceled because either I canceled it (I didn't) or that I did not give them approval to proceed with backordering it, which they never asked. If they want to divert the gloves for medical uses, that's fine, just don't lie and tell some BS story. People that need to go out could use these gloves too, but the hospitals and first responderes need them more. Just hope supply catches up with demand. On those and many other things.

Thank you and well said. The statistics on covid positive patients in Canada is mostly related to foreign travel, community spread is only starting now. Surprisingly the largest percentage of the travel related illness is US travel. 

My wife and I practice the same thing that Steve is doing. We both work in the health system. She is an RN working in an emergency department, she was just informed she is being recalled to work in an ICU department due to her vast  experience in critical care in ICU. I work in Cancer Care and Medical Research. We both wear scrubs during the day, change at work from street clothes to scrubs and back to street clothes) but also change immediately after we arrive home, we also shower as soon as we get home.

We have both been around covid positive patients so we are not taking chances.

Today our province shut-down all non-essential services. A lot was shut-down prior to today, but now it is even greater. Our two daughters have been lucky, their employers have permitted them to work from home the past three weeks (one works on medical related files, the second a school teacher). No one in our province is permitted to be in groups of 15 or more.

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Why would anyone criticize England or Italy?

Italy was hit early and there health system has been overwhelmed, today alone 51 medical doctors died.

Spain is also being hit extremely hard. A doctor has reported (On Dr. John Campbell's Youtube feed) that they are removing ventilators from those 65 and older to use them on younger patients. What an absolutely horrible situation to find yourself in if you are a doctor. I can't imagine making those type of life and death decisions. I'm over 65 and the thought of that happening to me is terrifying. LA is now buying Ventilators from South Korea, some 20,000 of them. In the meantime, as far as I know, we here in the states are still just trying to get production ramped up.

If your health system is overwhelmed will there be enough doctors? if you have a heart attack a stroke, break a bone,  need stitches, cancer treatment, all the other diseases aren't taking a break. That is why this needs to be shut down as quickly as possible. Scooby is right this is no time to flip flop. I also have friends and all family over the world and I worry for them and everybody here. Luckily I'm retired and don't need to leave the house and a big stash.

Everybody stay safe

Ken

Edited by KenM

Oh and the USA has surpassed 100,000 cases of Covid-19, doubling the number of cases known just three days ago. This is more than China (I know, some will say that we can't trust the reporting from China).

Since several people seem to have let the topic drift off the original post and are just lashing out at each other, and I'm not seeing anyone actually discussing the OP, we're going into lockdown.
Ironic, isn't it?