Flying Leathernecks FL48-8005 Mk-83 1000lb bomb with BSU-85/B Air

Our next release in the resin line will be an ordnance item I have personally wanted to release on my own for a very long time. Having had a hand in assembling several dozen, if not hundreds during Operation Desert Storm, this one holds a special little place in my heart. 😄 I even have the parachute from one here at the house!

We're still ramping up production, but should have these ready to order before the end of this coming week. 

FL48-8005 Mk-83 1000lb bomb with BSU-85/B Air Inflatable Fin, M904 fuze and Mk-43 TDD, set of two (2)  $TBA

Mk-83-1000lb-bomb-v2.jpg

BSU-85-v14-2.jpgBSU-85-v14.jpg

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Dave, any chance of producing some of those with the conventional tail?

The ones from Hasegawa suck.

Ben

Yes, the conical fins are coming next. Also being planned are BSU-86 snakeye fins for the Mk-82 (82 is done), Mk-84 (84 is done) conical fin, Mk-76 practice bomb (done), Mk-77 fire bomb, and the GPU-2 gun pod (just received references from G. Whiteside).

On the aircraft side : 1/48 ICAP III instrument panel for the Kinetic EA-6B, correct F/A-18D WSO instrument panel and cover for Kinetic and Hasegawa, F-14B and F-14D HUD's for Tamiya and the 1/32 ATARS conversion for the Academy F/A-18D.

Edited by Dave Roof
9 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Why do manufacturers split them into two parts in that way?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I chose two parts for a few reasons.

First, regardless of whether or not you want a standard Mk-83 with conical fin, or the BSU-85 or a GBU-16, or AGM-123, etc., they all use the same Mk-83 warhead/bomb body. These will all be cast in resin and 'mass' produced. All of the fuzes/nose plugs and tail sections will be 3D printed.

Second, done as a 'one piece unit', there is absolutely no way I would be able to print/cast the parts and retain the details added to the parts.

Lastly, it will allow the modeler to paint each component separately, then assemble the bomb. No need to mask anything or struggle to hand paint the color demarcations.

While not the greatest photos, this is how the BSU-85 looks printed in .001 layers. It might be hard to tell, but every detail added to the drawing printed. Finished piece is slightly over 3/4 of an inch.

DSCN0360.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

53 minutes ago, boom175 said:

Any plans for a MK-82 and the BSU-49??  Retarder assy? I think its -49

The Mk-82 is done and I'll eventually get to the BSU-49. However, my initial focus for the ordnance is going to be Navy and Marine Corps specific. Once I get a few items out that I've been wanting to release for awhile now, I'll get to some Air Force stuff.

22 minutes ago, andrew.deboer said:

I’m glad the tail kit is a separate section. That way I can apply ablative coating to the warhead without masking off the tail.

Punch ‘em out, man!

The plan is to cast the bombs in both varieties, thermally protected and non-tp.

20 hours later!

A little more adjustment needed to some of the files, then back on the printer they go. This should be the final tweak before production begins.

FL48-8005 1/48 scale Mk-83 with BSU-85 fin, M904 fuze, Mk-43 TDD and MXU-735 nose plug

FL48-8007 1/48 Mk-77 fire bomb

FL48-8006 will be Mk-76 practice bombs (not shown)

DSCN0364.jpg

15 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I chose two parts for a few reasons.

First, regardless of whether or not you want a standard Mk-83 with conical fin, or the BSU-85 or a GBU-16, or AGM-123, etc., they all use the same Mk-83 warhead/bomb body. These will all be cast in resin and 'mass' produced. All of the fuzes/nose plugs and tail sections will be 3D printed.

Second, done as a 'one piece unit', there is absolutely no way I would be able to print/cast the parts and retain the details added to the parts.

Lastly, it will allow the modeler to paint each component separately, then assemble the bomb. No need to mask anything or struggle to hand paint the color demarcations.

While not the greatest photos, this is how the BSU-85 looks printed in .001 layers. It might be hard to tell, but every detail added to the drawing printed. Finished piece is slightly over 3/4 of an inch.

Sounds fair enough. I never really considered reproduction like that for multiple different products from one common tool.

After two test prints, we got the files for the Mk-83 and BSU-85 down. Currently printing slightly modified files for the fuzes. Once they're done and we confirm they fit like they're supposed to, we'll go into full scale production.

DSCN0365.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 5:30 PM, Dave Roof said:

The Mk-82 is done and I'll eventually get to the BSU-49. However, my initial focus for the ordnance is going to be Navy and Marine Corps specific. Once I get a few items out that I've been wanting to release for awhile now, I'll get to some Air Force stuff.

The plan is to cast the bombs in both varieties, thermally protected and non-tp.

Hopefully BSU-86 is on the cards as a Navy/Marine load.

I had a look at my old Flightpath resin BSU-49, just as I remembered it, casting a bit squint and not sure of the shape.

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

WOW, great work Dave ! I believe you are getting the hang of this stuff.

Steve

Thank you. I've released a lot more over the past few weeks, just no longer post about them here. 

Edited by Dave Roof