494th FS returns home.

Gents,

I made a last minute dash to Lakenheath this afternoon to try and catch the 494th FS coming home after their six month tour out East. The weather was rather changeable and unfortunately the ETA's for the two cells due today had them arriving pretty much with the sun straight down the nose, and I was hoping for some nose art in line with previous tours. I couldn't get away too early on a Sunday and I missed the first cell of six as 'Tabor 71' flt were turning in on the circuit as I was some distance away. I made it in time for 'Tabor 81' and they appeared in the overhead just as the sun peeked out of the clouds, but unfortunately at around 15:00 the sun is directly down the runway. Anyway, this is the results;

2G5A5860.jpg

Maybe the reason that  98-0133 doesn't show any nose art is that it appears to have been borrowed from the 492nd FS? 

2G5A5874.jpg

01-2000 was a little wobbly on approach and high. Looks like a variation on the old 494th badge.

2G5A5889.jpg

92-0364.

2G5A5899.jpg

2G5A5907.jpg

2G5A5912.jpg

91-0329.

2G5A5931.jpg

2G5A5945.jpg

00-3000.

2G5A5965.jpg

2G5A5974.jpg

91-0326.

2G5A5988.jpg

2G5A5995.jpg

Third cell is apparently due tomorrow. I'm sure some pics of the first cell will appear soon.

Gary

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Interesting black smudge... never seen that particular effect before.  Was also present to a lesser extent on another jet.   

2G5A5945.jpg

Great pics as always Gary, thank you very much for posting! 

RBF tag swinging in the wind. You can see a smaller one same distance behind the probe. Very common on business jets that live outside. 

Sean

Thanks guys. Hi Andrew, yeah, that's what I've heard and there are some lists around that tell you who they are - not my area of expertise I'm afraid!

Here's a link showing all 16 that have returned too date. The 492nd birds with the 494th deployment don't have nose art. Only 4 apparently came back on Monday so there's still 2 downrange somewhere.

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=186518

Gary