TAN Model, did they go full AMK with their Bucc?

The owner of the company had been facing some medical issues which took him away from the plastic model business. I believe he's still recovering. Health comes first. I think there's a huge difference in approaches taken by AMK vs Tanmodel.

Edited by jgrease
2 hours ago, jgrease said:

The owner of the company had been facing some medical issues which took him away from the plastic model business. I believe he's still recovering. Health comes first. I think there's a huge difference in approaches taken by AMK vs Tanmodel.

Sorry to learn this and I hope everything works out for the owner.

And agreed, there's indeed a huge difference between the two approaches.

seriously, plus taking into fact the CEO is under the weather; I cannot see the kit being a big seller. Hope I'm wrong! Otherwise Airfix would have jumped on the band wagon a long time back. TAN Model has made many promises in the past, and we saw a few become real. Yet most never materialized. 

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

seriously, plus taking into fact the CEO is under the weather; I cannot see the kit being a big seller. Hope I'm wrong! Otherwise Airfix would have jumped on the band wagon a long time back. TAN Model has made many promises in the past, and we saw a few become real. Yet most never materialized. 

gary

They did jump on the band wagon many years ago: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-08100-hs-buccaneer-s2b--192586

Which is why we need a new tool 1/48 kit now. 

And their recently released 1/72 new tool Bucc has been very well received and in demand. No reason to believe a 1/48 kit would tank. 

Rick L. 

12 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

gary

Well, the Airfix 1/48th scale Buccaneer was quite popular around here. I saw them arrive and disappear off the local hobby shop shelves quite fast and I believe Airfix reissued the kit several times. It is not that old, being released originally in 1994. However, they do have a recurring problem of warped fuselages and a resin cockpit really is needed (Neomega made a nice one). I don't know about "big seller", but it shouldn't do too badly.

17 hours ago, peterburns said:

I see parallels.  Both talk a big game and then fail to deliver

You couldn't be more hopelessly wrong - Tanmodel hasn't continued to push the notion that the Bucc is right around the corner. There was initial posts about it and some CADs floated around. Tanmodel has been building up their company through some kits of Turkish subjects for their home crowd. But again you're pissing all over the guy while he's recovering from a serious health issue. Your happiness through a plastic model airplane is the priority after all.

18 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

gary

- Different versions.

- Different operators.

- long operational career.

- Different decorations and camos, some of them emblematic.

- wingfolded option.

- pretty big fandom

- high potential for superdetailling (rotative bomb bay...)

- iconic design.

Sorry, but you're wrong, I think the bucaneer could be a pretty big seller, not at the Me-109/Spitfire/Mustang/Tomcat level, but it will sell very well in UK.

Well, the old Airfix 1/48 kits are now selling away on Ebay at around 70EUR and over! The first patch of their new tooled 1/72 kit sold out very quickly, and I see one on Ebay sold for almost 50 EUR without shipping, and it's the factory sealed 1/72 kit only with no aftermarket item! The Buccaneer's such an iconic aircraft,  any kit will be a big seller! I don't understand how it could otherwise. 

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 4:58 PM, Spruemeister said:

They did jump on the band wagon many years ago: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-08100-hs-buccaneer-s2b--192586

Which is why we need a new tool 1/48 kit now. 

And their recently released 1/72 new tool Bucc has been very well received and in demand. No reason to believe a 1/48 kit would tank. 

Rick L. 

I have the 1/72 kit somewhere. Looks nice in the box, and someday I'll build it. 

glt

8 hours ago, jgrease said:

You couldn't be more hopelessly wrong - Tanmodel hasn't continued to push the notion that the Bucc is right around the corner. There was initial posts about it and some CADs floated around. Tanmodel has been building up their company through some kits of Turkish subjects for their home crowd. But again you're pissing all over the guy while he's recovering from a serious health issue. Your happiness through a plastic model airplane is the priority after all.

You sure told me.  I'm going to order the F-111, F-4, F-5, SU-33 and Buccaneer tonight

13 hours ago, peterburns said:

You sure told me.  I'm going to order the F-111, F-4, F-5, SU-33 and Buccaneer tonight

You do that - all that Tanmodel did was announce what kits they PLANNED on doing. But you got my attention so I guess you win.

I hope Baris Tansoy recovers fully, soon.

The CAD for the 1/32 Su-33 Sea Flanker looked utterly exquisite.  And a modern tool 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 is much wanted. I'm in for a brace,

Tony 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:16 PM, ChesshireCat said:

... TAN Model has made many promises in the past, and we saw a few become real. Yet most never materialized. 

gary

TAN did not promise anything, the did not collect pre orders nor money from any other sources… they just planned to build some and announce them, maybe they still can, maybe won't be able to…

6 minutes ago, A.C.Acikgoz said:

TAN did not promise anything, the did not collect pre orders nor money from any other sources… they just planned to build some and announce them, maybe they still can, maybe won't be able to…

Agreed.

4 hours ago, A.C.Acikgoz said:

Exactly

It certainly is unfortunate that the TANmodel guy is dealing with illness, but speaking solely as someone who has experience building one of their products I have to admit it was quite a dog of a kit.  

I'm talking about their 1/48 scale rF-84f Thunderflash.

I have absolutely no experience with anything else they've produced but my experience with this kit gives me pause as to whether I'd buy another one from them.